Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting to a new pot OK at this time in So. california?

Posted by labland La Verne, CA 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 21:48

The other day I went out, and noticed that my one clay pot, containing three good sized plants from cuttings last year, had fallen over and the side broke off. It was my only clay pot.

Is it OK to replant right now? At least according to the weather reports, our immense heat may be over (??!!). As I said I have 3 good sized plants, all blooming, in addition to 2 cuttings that hadn't done well until finally they leafed a bit this year. I had been thinking of separating them this last spring, but figured it could wait until next year.

The pot is. Mostly intact, but I cannot water properly because the water runs off the side where the pot broke off.

I was planning on just gently separating them, and repotting using palm soil and perlite. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting to a new pot OK at this time in So. california?

I prefer to transplant in early spring. If you do so now and it is flowering it may abort the flowers. If you do so now use b-1 or superthrive to reduce the shock of transplant. Oh, and clay pots are not good for plumerias unless they are glazed because the roots stick to the clay and moisture moves through the clay quickly. If you can find Unigrow cactus mix and get some pumice it is a better mix than palm soil.

o
RE: Transplanting to a new pot OK at this time in So. california?

Bill, thanks for the info. Yes, the plants all have gorgeous blossoms. One I think may be Hawaiian Flag. It seems to bloom all the time. I love the plant. The other two are also blooming, although not as profusely as the other.

I kept the pieces of the pot, maybe I will tape them back in place for now. I would hate to lose these blossoms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here