Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting

Posted by dub fl (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 21:52

I have a friend with a very old plumeria tree in his yard.It is about 10-15ft tall.Is it ok to take a large cutting off it now?We live in central Florida.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting

Since no one else has chimed in, I'll throw in my humble opinion:

Yes, you can take a cutting now. It can be stored for up to 6 months in a cool, dry place before trying to root.

If you have a good warm spot in your home you could try rooting it over winter, too, though it will be much slower to root than if you wait. But, over-winter rooting will give the plant a head start for spring, too.

If you decide to try to root now, make sure the cutting has several days to dry and callus over the cut end first. Also, check out old posts for more detailed instructions on potting up and heat mats for your best chance of success.

And, btw, larger cuttings (over a foot or so) have a better chance of rooting than smaller ones, just make sure they're not too green (more mature grey/brown wood is better).

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here