Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Cuttings Broken During Shipping?

Hello Everyone!!

Since Pagan posted about her broker Embers, it made me think of a special tree I purchased and was damaged during shipping.

Do you all have any similar experiences?

This is a tree that I bought ( Orange Jack). It was a beautiful four tipped rooted tree. The seller and I worked out an agreement, but I will tell you all that it is important to report to the seller so they can see what is happening so that you can get a refund, or a replacement!!!!

Here is my sad tree from the original break,

Then you will see pics since then.. I was heartbroken at this break.. It was a break that had happened during shipment...

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 2:56

Comments (16)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the rooted bottom.. I didn't seal it fast enough.. After this pic, it started getting moldy.. I had to cut it again and then seal. I waited for clean latex, then an hour.. Then I sealed.. It worked...

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 2:58

Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to try and root the four tipped top, but new it would be a challenge because it didn't have much of a stem..

So... I tried!!

Here is the rooted bottom as of a week ago and the top portion!!!

I think it's going to make it.. Looks like two different trees..

You can see on the bottom portion that it is making three new branches..

This isn't something that we all like to share but, i think it is important for everyone to see because it is possible to have success from both ends!!!

;-). Plus, a little praying to the Plumeria gods!!!!

It is possible!! Don't give up!!!

Please always report your broken or damaged trees to the seller. They reputable ones will do the right thing !!!

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Laura, I did this too once and put them in the ground next to each other and it was like the MOTHER tree told the little one to "hang on and grow"...they did and no one is the wiser to see them now and know what happened. Best to you and yours...roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

Glad they are both doing so good. I know how upset you where when you got it. It's a shame as it was such a nice little tree. It will be a couple of years and it will be beautiful again. Good job.
    And then there were two!
    Peg

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Laura. That is so great! Now you have 2!! I can't believe you thought you couldn't root the top. If anyone could its you. Can't wait to see the flowers.

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

What is so bad in my case is I do not grow the plants I mail out. I buy beautiful plants from sellers here in Texas and then mail them to people on the forum who want them . I get nothing for doing this except the great feeling that I am helping others. I charge the exact cost of the plant, and postage. So if the plant arrives damaged, I cannot go back to the original seller. I have been doing this for the past two years, never had a problem until now. Barbra

• pcput
    10 years ago

Barbra -That's so sad that you are trying to do someone a favor and then have them come back on you. You should get them to agree that you are not responsible in your case and you'll do the best you can to protect it.
    Peg

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Peg, the person did not try to come back at me, in fact was just the opposite. I had insurance and wanted the post office to pay for the plant. The person, because the plant was rare, decided to keep it. The post office would reimburse but wanted the damaged box and plant, and I would not be able to get another one to replace it. It was just sad, because the plant was beautiful, and I had taken all the extra steps to protect it during shipment. But, there was nothing I could not have done to protect it from being driven over. Barbra

Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree Barbra !!

You are not in the business to profit from this. You are doing this from your heart.. Just like I do. I can't replace things I mail , but I feel if you are in the plant business that sells to individuals to make a profit, then they should help the customer .

I am like you. I send a lot of things out just because it makes me feel good!
    We understand where you are coming from...

This is for business and nurseries not individuals like us...

We try...

Take care,

Laura

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Laura, you are the plant whisperer!

This post was edited by fakechuchi on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 14:46

• chuy415
    10 years ago

What a nice post this is!! All the good, bad, sad .....
    Thanks to all - there are so many good hearted people :-)

Chuy

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear what happend to your plumeria, but I am sure you will have two new healthy plumerias from that...

P.S.: Thank you again for the beast of a celadine you let me adopt hehe... Thank you for sharing your blessings... Ill also take care of the special Guillot's sunset... :-)

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

Ooops sorry double post...

This post was edited by Mykel02 on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 4:34

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

I know of several sellers using UPS instead of USPS because of bad experiences with USPS. It costs a little more, but have very few claims.

Lonnie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Lonnie, what is the difference in price and does UPS provide the tube boxes? I order a lot of dept 56 village houses and accessories, and never had a problem, I wonder if ebay mails out UPS or USPS? I never paid attention. I ordered the Dept 56 Holy Name Church, it arrived on my front porch, no packing, just the original box, with brown paper. It was in perfect condition, I could not believe it. Lonnie, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will pay attention when my package arrives next week. Barbra

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

HB,
    I'm not sure about the boxes. But, you can visit a local UPS store to review their boxes. I received several plumies from Emerson last year and he only ships UPS due to problems with USPS.
    The cost of UPS vs. USPS is higher.
    Lonnie

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor