Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start storing for winter?

Posted by debrichard z5 Mich (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 22:00

Hi, I am starting to become an addict of plumerias even though i only have one, but am having fun looking at them on the internet and planning my future purchases
That's provided this one makes it thru the winter! So, my question is, the nights are getting awfully cool, 40's even though this week we're suppposed to be near and slightly above 70 degrees during the day, weeee!! I'm already getting tired of dragging plumie in every night, it's showing signs of tiredness, very slight yellowing, rusty dark tiny dots all over. I just hope i'm not going to damage it by keeping it outside during the day as long as possible before it gets too cold, and my garage may be way too warm to store it there now!
thanks for the advice!
debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start storing for winter?

Hi, Debbie! I'm in Ohio, and I have approximately 130 plumies. ;o) It was very chilly with continuous rain Saturday, so I brought all mine inside. Being cold and wet isn't a good thing for plumies. There are some that will get special treatment and go out during nice days, but they'll be back in at night. I do the same thing in the spring. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy, but every little bit helps in colder growing areas. I'd be willing to bet if yours makes it through winter, you'll have many more next year! lol They are great plants with beautiful blooms, and you'll be addicted just like the rest of us! Rene'

o

Mine are already in the garage under a 400w MH light. We had a dip to 38F one night already and I wasn't going to take any chances. The weather here in Oklahoma is a little too unpredictable. I have too many to drag them in and out and since I have a grow light I decided to just take them in already. I've been told to bring them in when the night temps get into the 40s, others say 50s. Mine have already lost some of thier leaves, I guess they know fall is coming.
Amanda

o

For me, low 40s and I'll bring in. We have reached that in our neighborhood yet, but I'll keep an eye on the temps.

o
What happens to my inflos when the temps drop ?

I have 11 plants with multiple inflos, can you tell me, Bill, if I can still get them to bloom?
-Yesterday we had a "shower" and the temps were down to 55 degrees, 'They' are still outdoor on my cemented walkway!!!
-This week we are expecting somewhat higher temps. Some of the inflos are quite small, others "taller".
-Should I still continue to fertilize until next month with a 20-20-20 Grow More? All the plants still have all of their leaves and still look quite green!!!
Thanks Bill, your help is always Greaaaat!!!
Annamaria

o

I stop fertilizing and cut watering in half after early October to help the green growth harden up for hibernation. Inflos or not. But this is what works best for me in my climate. I move mine in early December to a southwest facing shelter area.

I've still got two producing new inflos and nearly all have active inflos. All of which will probably finish including the two new ones before I move them to winter quarters.

o

Craftymama!!! How's it going? I had ANOTHER uneventful summer with my plumies. Only 1 got a late summer inflo, got to see 2 flowers, then left it outside apparently too long, (too cold) cause I lost the rest of the inflo, even tho the plant itself is fine. Do you get flowers all summer long? I don't know what I am doing wrong, as I just don't get many....if any. I might get a few late ones now, hard to tell. I did have some over the winter, so maybe again this year. Hope all is well with you!
Jo

o

Hi, Jo! I'm doing good. How about you? I had a good show of flowers this spring and summer. A couple of late inflos, one is already turning black and the buds are falling off. The other looks good. I even got a seed pod this year! That was really exciting! All my plumies are inside, and have been for a couple of weeks. I have the majority of them in the basement under lights. The new ones and the ones with inflos will stay up here so I can keep an eye on them over the winter. I started waking mine up in February. Epsom salts first then a week or so later started fertilizing them. In April I spend about a month of putting them outside and hauling them back in at night, until the night time temps hit 50. Then they are out to stay till about the end of September or early October. I think I may start waking them up the middle of January next year. I use superthrive and seaweed extract faithfully during the spring and summer. I also give them a dose of regular blooming fertilizer in the spring and early summer. It's all about experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. How many plumies do you have, Jo? Take care, and it was nice to hear from you! Rene'

o

Hi Rene', I am going to copy your post and follow it next year!! I have over 50.....went a tad crazy that first year. I got a few freebies last year, but bought NONE this year...(unemployment puts a crimp in Plumie buying....lol). All my plumies have been in since the first week of Oct., but I was thrilled they could stay out till then. Thanks for your routine, I appreciate the info!

o

annamaria- sorry I missed your post. Hang in there and you may get some late blooms. Until the plants go dormant, you can wait and watch. Stop fertilizing in early fall but the plants will keep going. If you suspect night temps in the low 40s then cover or move under an overhang. Where you live it should be good for some more weeks. Bill

o

Hi, Jo, I hope it works for you! I think the age of the plumie has something to do with it also. This was my 4th growing season. Time flies when you're having fun! lol I'm hoping to get twice as many blooms as next year. I hope I hit a year where I can say I bought none! lol I'm sure my hubby wishes that! hehe! Maybe in a couple of years when I can thin out my seedling stock. ;o) Rene'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here