Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Desert Rose seedpod opens....

Hello Everyone,

Its cold here in VB... 36 degrees and its pretty windy!

Everything is inside or in the greenhouse!!

All is well except that the eye rolling is starting ...LOL

Im worried about the trees/plants and he is worried about all of the critters that may be coming inside!! LMAO!!!

We will see what arrives...LOL : )

I wanted to share a pic of my DR seedpod that opened a few days ago.

Thought you all might get a kick from the look of the seeds... I thought they were beautiful!!!

Also, some of my other DR's...

Take care,

Laura in VB

{{gwi:3226}}

This is for you Tina!

{{gwi:105547}}

{{gwi:342525}}

This is the pod that opened the other night...

{{gwi:3228}}

Take care,

Stay warm to all of my friends up north!!! BRRRRRRrr!!!!

Laura in VB

Comments (28)

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Oh Laura, your DR plants are absolutely gorgeous. The caudex of your plants look amazing. I always wondered what the seed pods looked like. Thank you for sharing.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Laura, thank you for posting the picture. I have never seen a desert rose seedpod opened before. Does the pod turn brown before it opens, like the plumeria? The open pod you posted looks very similar to the clematis vine after it has seeded. I always look for seeds to send to my friend in Trinidad, he does not have access to the plants we have in the USA. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Ladylotus,

Thank you so much for your kind comments!!!
    I do think the seedpods are amazing myself!! I wanted to share with those that like the look..i always love to see how nature works!!! The very first pod that i had opened at night, when i woke up the next day, all of the seeds were gone!!! So, with this seed pod i made sure it was tied shut...

Honeybunny.

You are more than welcome!!! : ) Im glad you found this as interesting as i did!!

The pod didnt turn brown like the Plumeria pods. The color was close to the picture of the pod at the end of the pics, it turned light tan, then dried out and in a split second, it was open!!! I had even tied a twist to the pod to prevent it from opening before i could get the chance to see it. But as you can seee, it opened even with a natural tie around the pod. Cant keep mother nature from doing what she wants!!! : )

Hope you all have a great evening.. I have a Halloween pics to share...LOL!!! Ill post in a few..

Take care,

Laura in VB

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Really cool seed pods, Laura. I had Asclepias curassivica (Mexican milkweed) in a mixed container this year & a friend asked for seeds. I clipped a few mature pods & left them on the work bench in the garage. Today, as I was straightening up a little, I noticed they'd opened & look very much like the one in your picture. .... and I agree - nature is amazing!

Happy Halloween! What are you going as? ;-)

Al

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura- my one and only desert rose is not doing so well :( the caudex is soft, i removed from soil and let sit out, its been about 4 days, am hoping for the best!
    BTW- yours are so beautiful and very healthy looking... thanks so much for sharing

Chuy

• Ament
    12 years ago

OoOo Laura! I -Love- it! Those always make me giggle seeing their fat little bellies! =)

I went to the local green house today, to try and find a DR and I didn't find a single one! =( I was so bummed out! LoL I'll go again tomorrow and spend more time there roaming the isles, maybe I didn't go down the right isles...

I just love those fat little bellies! So Cute! Laura, if you plan to share seeds of those lovely fat bellied beauties do let me know? =) I just can't help but be cheered up by those sweet little bellies on them, they just make me want to rub their little bellies. LoL

Thank you for sharing the pictures Laura, I love looking at them!

Wow it was cold for a few days, Now on Halloween it's 72 degrees out and has gotten down below freezing cold out at night! Brrr! Talk about crazy weather! lol

Stay Warm my friends! =)

~Tina

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Had some glitches in the system, Thanks to GW for fixing them!!!

Hi AL,

LOL!!! Im not sure what i will be tonight!! LOL...Ill have to think about that!!! : ) The kids probably think i already have on a costume!!! LOL!!!

What will you be? LOL!!!!

I do love the look of the seedpods, they remind me of icicles...so shiny and so delicate...

Mother nature at her finest!!!

Chuy,

So sorry to here of your Dr going soft...That usually isnt a good sign. I hope that it will pull through for you. DId you let it go for a long time before watering? I water my trees quite often during the summer. They actually like more water than you think. All of my DR's are in the gritty mix and drain very fast. They love this and respond very well.

I hope you try again with these beauties!! They are so much fun!!!

Tina,

I think of you often when i look at these funny little creatures. I actually look at them as if they are alive with personalities!!! LOL!!! The "Mandrake" one is a real gem!! LOL..

You can find them usually in the spring in and around where they sell C & S and orchids. I have seen them at HD and at the other big box stores.

I will share some of those seeds. Send me your addy and ill send some to you.

Happy Halloween!!!

Stay safe and warm!!!

Laura in VB

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura, I haven't given up.. No i didnt let it go for a long time before watering- I did repot it and not long after i noticed it getting soft, so i took it out and not sure how to determine if the roots are rotten, there was no odd smell to it, but before i took it out after noticing the soft caudex, I noticed new growth of green leaves which gave me some hope! :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Chuy,

What do the roots look like?

Can you post a picture?

Im glad to hear that you havent given up, you can work with this and probably save it!

Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Please post a pic if you can..

You live in a great area for sunshine... OC is a great place to help a DR survive!!!

I bet you will be able to save it.

Good Luck!!!

Laura in VB

• plumie888
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

I was excited to see your pics of adenium seeds. I currently have a a pod on my plant and can't wait for it to open. Can you spare some seeds? I in return will send you some seeds when mine are ready. What color is your adenium? Mine is a solid dark red. Are you going to start the seeds right away? TIA!

Mae in So. Cal.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mae,

Sure,

Send me your email and ill send you some!!

The color is a watermelon color...Ill see if ii have a pic and post for you...tomorrow sometime!!!

I only have a few so i hope they will take for you...

Tina, i need your addy too!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura- the roots look ok, normal, nothing odd looking, again, no strange smell.. I will post a pic once i get a chance. i pulled it out and is still out, havent potted it again, but was in cactus mix and perlite.

Chuy

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura- Here are some photos- the 2 pics that show the roots with cinnamon were taken approx 1 1/2 weeks ago or so, the others taken on kitchen counter were just taken tonight! (11-1-11).... Please help... should I pot it up? Should I cut anything off?

Chuy

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Desert Rose

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow! Amazing picture of the opened seedpod! Thanks for posting it Laura! I've never seen a DR seedpod before, either closed or open. I would have expected fort he seeds to look like plumeria seeds!
    Every time I see your DR pictures, I feel tempted to start another collection, even though with my plumies and epiphyllums I really have no space left for anything else!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Chuy,

First of all i want to say that i was pleased to see you post over at the C & S forum. I was going to suggest that to you to go over there and start a new thread with your pics and explain what is happening with this DR.

IMO, i wouldnt keep it out of a mix for this long. I know you are trying to save this beauty, but keeping it from being outside in the sunshine and being in some kind of fast draining mix is not the best for this little guy. Im sorry to say, but the roots dont look good to me. You may be able to trim off the ones that have rot and hope for the best....

My advise to you would be to repot in a fast draining mix, I know there has been some discussion on mixes here. All of my DR's are in "gritty mix" and i dont worry about watering to much, since they drain so quickly. Even in the summer, i water them as often or even more than the Plumeria. Fertilize them often too!

The first thing i would do, would be to remove any old roots and pot up in a good mix. Put it outside in an area that receives indirect light and let it see if it responds.

There is a lady on the C & S forum named Marie (Itran54) she has lots of beautiful DR's. I would watch for her and also some others that have been around here for awhile, who are more experienced in growing these beauties than me.

I applaud you for trying to help this sick DR. You are doing your best to help this cutie. If it recovers...Great!! If it doesnt, try again....

Good luck to you and please let us know what happenes to this DR.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for you Chuy!!

I hope this has helped a little... : )

Sun,

HI!!! LOL, I know what you mean!! There is always room for one more... Right? LOL!!!

I also like the Epiphyllums too! They are very addicting as well as the Plumies. I only have 8 different varieties that i picked up at the show in Costa Mesa. They haven't bloomed for me yet. I did have one white NBC bloom for me a few times this summer and it even has some that may open in a week or so. : )

Its nice to see you!! How have you been? All of the little ones are doing well!! Thank you!!! They are tucked in for the winter!!!

So sad to see them "naked" LOL and sitting in a semi dark room cut off from the other living areas of the house. LOL!!!

Some of my other special ones (yours and some from Jen) are still growing under the lights for the winter As well as the Cerise (tks :) and the "Leela" from ANdrew.

Makaha Sunn has a place under the lights too! See...LOL, now i keep thinking of all that i have trying to continue to grow...LOL!!! Im out working, but all of the trees and other plants are all taken care of. WHew!!!

The nights have been getting to cold here and i dont want to scramble like i did the other night taking them in. Once they are in the first time for the winter...they are in for good! Im not giving in!!! : )

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mae,

Here is a pic that is close to the color of the seeds..

Im sorry it isnt a better pic...but i keep looking for you!!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura- You've been very helpful and I thank you tremendously for that!! I will pot it up tomorrow as it is too late now and dark :(... will use what I have now and hope its a mix that drains fast and my DR is ok with for now... I've wanted to ask where would be a good place to start to get gritty mix, I've read old threads and boy is there tons of info on where to get one or a couple of the ingredients for the 'gritty mix', but will pot it up and cross my fingers as well..

thanks again!

Chuy

• plumie888
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura,

The color does look like watermelon! I had to chuckle when I saw your desert rose caudex. To me, it looks like a rubenesque person with tiny arms. So darling! Thanks again for posting the flower!

Mae

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Chuy,

You are so lucky to live in OC!!! I think the name of the place that BIll likes is called Orange Country Farm Supply.

I hope that is the right name. They have all sorts of wonderful ingredients to use. Thats is where i tried to call and have things sent to me, but the cost of shipping them was way to pricy.

See what they have, I have to buy my fir bark at Petsmart in the reptile section. Its called Reti Bark and its all Fir bark. I watch when it goes on sale and then i buy the large bags. The Turface can be found at the farm stores..SOme locate the John Deere suppliers in the area and find what they need. The granigrit is small sized grantie (growers size) used in the digestion of chickens etc. Different sizes are available, but the growers size is the best. Some like CHerrystone. I cant find that here in VA. SO i stick to the granigrit.

OCFS is the key to healthy soils. I wish we had a place like that near me. YOu are so lucky!!!

Good luck Chuy!!!

I will be glad to send you some mix to try...

Mae,

It is a funny looking DR!!!

Im glad you like the flower color....

It does look like the local watermelon around here in VA!!

LOL!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

• chuy415
    12 years ago

Laura- I will and make sure to take your advice and pot it in fast draining mix as soon as I get home... Its a beautiful day today- about 72 :)... again, i'm crossing my fingers and hope it does respond well.

Thank you for your offer on the mix! I sent you an email and Thank You so very much for your generosity!

Chuy

• Minderella
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura for saying where you get your stuff for the gritty mix. I am wondering if Tractor supply has the granite grit. I have a petsmart real close.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Minderella,

FirBark Petsmart ZOO MED found in the reptile section watch for the specials when the large bag goes on sale!! it saves $ : ) used what falls below 1/4 inch screen

Granigrit Feed and Seed stores..Growers size omly sc for dust

Turface John Dearr Tractor supply co. Screen out dust

If you having a time finding this ask al on his thread..he has a kind to people asking all over the country looking, some of this may help you all...just ask himm on his soil thread..he will be glad to help you look!!! if i knew who to post a link i would..i need to work on that!!! : )

Min...I will always send you some to start you so you can see what it looks like....check first..then ask AL..i bet he has a locator for you!!! Go ahead...he is very nice!!! : )

Good Luck!!!

Laura in VB

• wuvbear
    12 years ago

Laura, your DR plants are just sooooooooooo nice. Love to see that seed pod. Thanks for sharing.

Neysa

• Ament
    12 years ago

Hello Laura,

Hope all your lovelies are doing well. =)

I cannot remember if I got my addy to you or not? LOL It's been quite hectic for me. Let me know if I sent you my addy or not. I'll send it to you if I didn't.

Just love looking at your beautiful plants Laura. Always cheers me up to see them.

~Tina

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina,

Your seeds will be mailed as soon as i get home. I do have your addy, but i didnt want to send them because i thought you might be in CA for a while so i waited...

Makes my day to know these pics made you happy!!!!

Thanks Tina!!!

Laura

• Ament
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Laura!

You are such a sweetheart! I am so excited to get them! LoL And I just love the pictures they always make me smile, inside and out. Hehe

~Tina

• plumie888
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,

I wanted to thank you again for the DR seeds and update you with their status. They have all sprouted (except for one which was a lote tinier that the other seeds)! I had soaked them in a bowl of lukewarm water and waited for them to sink before planting. I had them on a heating pad and it only took less than a week to sprout! They are over an inch tall right now. I am not sure how to post pics... I will email you a picture. Thanks again! Mae

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mae,

I saw your beautiful seedlings..WOW!!!

Congratulations!!!

You are doing a great job...I cant believe all of them germinated except one!! WOOHOO!

I will help you post pics..let me know when you set up a photobucket acct...

We will get you all setup!!!

Im sorry to hear of all of the daamage out in Southern California...Unbelievable..

Please be safe!!!

Bill,

Hope you guys are not having any damage...i just saw the news and i cant believe what is going on!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

Sponsored