Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Bringing In The Forest ....

Happy Halloween Everyone!!

It's that time of year again and I know we are all busy getting our beloved trees inside and protected from the cold frosts getting ready to hit our area.

Several weeks ago, I started cutting leaves and probably trimmed most of my trees... I left all of the Inflos that I had on my trees and I might have one special seed pod forming, but its to early to say. I don't want to jinx myself or the tree, so I'll wait until it gets some size to it. I will say , it's a beauty!!! ;-)

Here are some of the pictures that some of you have asked about. I have had some emails about bringing in trees and asking to see.. So these pics are for you all...

I'll start with the last pic before I brought them Inside . This DR is a strange NOID, but it reminds some of Jar Jar from Star Wars.. Lol

I'm going to be posting one at a time, sorry... But it's late and I'm tired. But, I wanted to share this with you all so you will get a chuckle at the " forest".

They are all in their proper place as of tonight, but this was when I had to bring them inside quickly..

Lots of " eye drops" were delivered.. ;-)

Have a great night...

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 22:50

Comments (42)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The trimming began...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the last to bring in...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Great room...

Kapalua is the one that towers them all!!

This one is staying right where it is..

I know.. Just wait. More to come!!,

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ready for guest? Lol, not a chance!!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Over flow.. Living room

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some have asked if the greenhouse is used..

Original Author
    10 years ago

Other side ...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes.. I gave out lots of " eye drops".

The greenhouse is thinned down and the plants inside will have more room to breath.

All of the trees inside have retired to the back room and upstairs for the winter, so I have my dining room table back as well as room to walk!!!

Sheesh.. It's a lot of work, but it is a nice break for the winter.

Like one mentioned... It will be wonderful to see the work we did this year when they wake up in the spring.

Wishing I didn't have to do all of this, but we love them so much.. I know some of you are going through the same, so I thought I would give you a smile ... Or a good chuckle...

It's bad, I know.

But I love them!!!

Night!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Still blooming

Night...

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Wow!! Looking great laura. You know, you never realize how many plants you have until its time to move them. Kapalua is a Monster!! Hope you didn't pull a muscle moving them all in.

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Good job Laura! Trust me, I got enough roll eyes to last me 2 LIFETIMES!!! I can only imagine when they are a few years older and they are truly "trees"! I am super excited as any day now, 1 of my 2 inflos on my Desert Sunrise will have it's first flower EVER! I also will have flowers on Oratai, which I am supef STOKED about! In a few weeks it will be Jenny and Taj. I know I am forgetting a bunch of others.

Nice to see all your trees are ready for winter. Maybe your D.H. should consider adding on to your greenhouse?! LOL!

I just need one PERIOD!!! After seeing those pics, and knowing your going to F.C. all I can say is, you might want to sleep with one eye open! LMAO!

Take care,
    Andrew

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike..

You are the one who completely understands.. Thank goodness!!!

Funny, I just went to the doc and I told him I have a few aches and pains... Lol!! He didn't ask what I was doing.. That was good!!!

The Kapalua is a hoss and I just noticed a new inflo emerging on him, but I can't get him upstairs to be placed under lights. So he will stay there.

Since I brought them into the greenhouse I have a few more Inflos forming.

Can you believe this.. So late? Sparky is one ( from Bud). His tree, but not registered as of yet.

butterfly gold.. I just noticed this one on my nightly trip. This one was in the green house, but I just put her under the lights

Princess Victoria has one too...Fuzzys Red Rose is another... Thai one..

How are you doing, Mike? All inside?

Any pains in the back... Or the rear!!! Lol. I should from my DH. LMAO!!!

But he is being pretty good. He saw me sending out some trees, so that helps.. Lol!!!

Most of my Bonsai are ready, but need some attention too! This is the time I can concentrate on other trees that need help.

I also want to bring In My tuberoses .. Any idea when I should ? Will it be alright to bring in the container and let it stay in the garage and then sort the bulbs in the spring and replant? Or do it know? Help? I love these guys and I want them to live.

A very nice person sent me a night Blooming Cereus and I am so pleased

Thank you .. You are a special angel who won't except a gift without sending something special... I love it.. Mahalo, S...

I'll take good care of your special gift.. I'm touched..

Ok.. Mike.. I will admit. My back is sore, my legs are too for traveling up and down the stairs thirty times. Oh.. I didn't confess about the other twenty I.Have in The back too. That I didn't take a pic.. Lol

Thanks, mike!!

Love to see yours..

Take care,

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura- the second I saw your post- I took a deep breath and had to sit! Lol
    Awesome amount of beauties you have Laura- I think I have like 15% of what you have! Hee hee :-). Love the adeniums too!! Hope you had a great workout. It is well worth it though for us folks that enjoy gardening. Take care

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear you andrew...

I had to do some trimming of tree and it wasn't fun.. It's something I had to do. They were the size of mini coopers. Not VVs yet... So I had to cut them.. No way .. I couldn't bring them in... They are all cut and taken...

Sleep with one eye open huh? Here or there? Lol!!! At Florida Colors? Lol

It will be wonderful meeting Tex and the ladies... Carol is a doll and I. Looking forward to visiting her.

I am like you.. Discovering Inflows now. Argh!!! The rooting nursery is doing great too. I will have some flowers on my Embers tree soon, so I hope they will hold their color. So many.. But , we love it eh?

Wonder if I should enter the HF pic for the calendar contest? What do you think? I'll wait to hear your thoughts...

Night, Andrew...

• rox146
    10 years ago

My OH My Laura….I had NO idea what you go thru for these beauties. Power to you! roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Oh. Boy. They look so much smaller when they're outside! LOL!

Laura, you are a champion to go through so much for your babies. The whole idea of keeping tropical trees in a not-tropical climate seems just fine until I have to bring them in in the winter. No eye-rolling here yet...

Good luck, lady, and take a few ibuprofen before bed for your back! I'll be doing the same in a few weeks. :)

• rox146
    10 years ago

This brings the ???? to mind, do I need to trim off leaves in my area? They all stay outside other than those that are still rooting and they are in the sunroom.. Does this make leafing out in the spring faster? I am in sunny Ventura, Ca. I have trimmed leaves to make for more sun on the below plants during the flowering season, but never to speed up dormancy. Mahalo, roxanne

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Love seeing all the pics of someone who is crazier than I am! ;)

Looks great and I agree even though it saddens me that the growing season is coming to an end it sure will be nice to put the hose down for a few months! :)

-Robert

• frogview00
    10 years ago

I had to show this to my neighbor who is always complaining about his other half continuously expanding the garden, leaving very little grass. . lol.

Oh what a job (and passion) you have!

Jim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'll get back to all that posted , but I wanted to say to Rox.. I would let your trees drop their leaves naturally... Some of us have to force dormancy and cut for space reasons. I would rather leaves the leaves. It is so much better for the trees to let them respond naturally.

Let them decide. If you need to help them because of space needs. That is a different story. Let them enjoy the sun and the freedom of being outside.

Hope this helps.

Be back later. ;-)

Take care

Laura

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wowzers!!! You really have a full house there, but I see more room! ;) lol

Your plants looks ready for their winter rest.

At what temp do you keep your greenhouse???

Mark

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Laura, you just need another greenhouse, seriously. Christmas is coming up, show DH your wish list with just one item - Large Greenhouse. I'll help you find a model! And with two greenhouses, there will be a symmetrical appeal to that area of your yard, so everyone wins!

Your collection is amazing! Consider the chiropractor, too, not just the Ibufrofen! That's a big Kapalua!

Best of luck with every info popping up! I've got two more new inflow, one should open in just a few days. The other, Magnum Opus, I'm predicting will go dormant and hopefully open next year. But who knows.

Roxanne, I'm slowly losing leaves on several of my trees, you probably will, too, soon. Like Laura said, I wouldn't worry about cutting the leaves yourself unless you need to.

Can't wait to se more pics, Laura! Appreciate that your Arboretum is both outdoors and indoors!

• rox146
    10 years ago

Thanks George and Laura...always such great advise. Things have been very hectic here....take care, roxanne

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Laura.
    I am flattered that you would even consider asking me my opinion when you know just how gorgeous of a flower you have there. I want to put H.F. on my wish list. I would most definetly submit it! Most people don't own one yet, and out of the few that do, I bet you have the only picture!

Next year I will have to sell some of my trees off. I have around 5 or 6 varieties that I have multiples of. Some are common cheap varieties, and some are more expensive varieties.

This winter I am strongly considering adding some lighting to the basement. Recently on Facebook, I that someone had bought a few affordable light fixtures that could support the bulbs I would need to get my trees growing and blooming. My trees would be that much more a head if I could keep them growing happily in the basement. I know that I will be opening up another can of worms with pests, but I think it will be worth it.

I also am excited(over the moon actually) that my Desert Sunrise that I got from Miss Sonia is blooming now! It did take 2 full days for the bud to completely open. I wish it was summer though as the fragrance is barely detectable.

Well take care Laura, and I hope we can talk soon!

Andrew

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Chuy!!

You are so cute... Had to sit huh? Lol, I have been doing that even when I am looking at them and think that I need to start.. Then I sit. I work.. Then I sit..

Lol... It is a lot of work, but it is all worth it!!!

Thank you!!! ;-)

Hi Jen!!!

It is amazing what some of will do for our beauties eh? I know you love them just as much as I do.. Be careful when you bring them in.

DH just said, what are you going to do with this big one. I left the Kapalua right where I left it. He said " you are not goin g to leave this here all winter are you?" I said... " ummmhmmm". He only said, " will you at least push it back, so it won't attack me everything I turn off the outside lights?" Lol. I said.. Sure!!! Whooooo! That was close. I can't move this one..

Massive amounts of Advil will help!! Seriously, I didn't need anything, but a HOT shower for about 10 hours.. Lol!!!

Be careful!!!

Hi Robert!!

Yes, I know I have it bad, but I did thin down my trees this summer.. Just ask some of you all!! Lol..

I'm continuing to lighten the load.. It's a big load, but I'm working on it.

Hope you are doing well, Robert!!! I know your basement or where ever you store your trees is quite crowded.. We know... Lol!!!

I wish I could have seen your face tho.. It must have been priceless!!

Take care, Robert !!!

Hi Jim... Just had to show someone who has it worse than someone else!! LMAO!!! Congratulations.. I hope they can see how addicted I am and can say.. Ok, sweetie.. You can buy more!!! That would make my day!!! ;-)

I do have a passion, actually a love for these trees and they are magical when they finally open. We nurture them, water them, feed them and wait patiently for them to grace us with their beauty... If we are lucky.. It is all worth it. Just listen to a Plumie lover who has their first bloom from seed or a cutting.. It doesn't get any better than this!!! ;-)

George... I think I would be under the table showing any list!!! lol.. I'm very happy with the greenhouse that I have, but i like how you think!! To funny!!!

Dualing greenhouses... That would really make his day!!! LOL!!!

You are a big help, but I think I'll not suggest another ... He might replace me!!! For a new shed!! LMAO!!! Only kidding of course.

Thank you George!! So glad your cat was a success this year!! I'm talking huge!!! Kids love this stuff!!! So does, Mike!!! ;-)

Hi Mark!!!

Was it you who thought the DR looked like " Jar Jar?" Lol!!

I keep the greenhouse thermostat turn on to cool at 85. Then when the temps reach the low of 55 it will come on to keep it to that temp. During the day, it averages 70 -80. When it gets cold, the heater works a little more. I might bump it up to 60 ..

Hope you are well, Mark!!!

Mahalo!!

Hi Andrew!!!

I think I will email her and see if she would like to use it... Thanks for the help!! So many have expressed I Teresa, so I would love to submit it... I'll check. Mahalo!!!

Someone remined me that I never show the other side of my back yard. Thye see the pool and greenhouse, but not the other side. So I found a pic for you!!! ;-)

This is my son who is 23. He is sitting beside on of my palms...

Hope you like it!! Thanks for asking!! ;-)

Night all

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Oh wow...thats alot of moving. You performed the same amount of work as a dump truck with a load of soil. A Back Belt and those rubber palmed Grippy Gloves are a big help in grasping containers IMO. Jandy said it best about storing plumerias...Its like playing Tetris.

I spent today making repairs and replacing a few warped polycarbonate panels on the tall greenhouse. We still have about a month to go before I move plants in there or bring out the pop up greenhouse. This year I am bag storing 5 large woody plants (maybe more).

This post was edited by kms2 on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:53

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Btw, Laura, what is that last flower you have "still blooming"? Is it possible Via Verde? The colors are lovely!

Andrew, I had Desert Sunrise out in the Texas heat and humidity and never got much of a scent, either. It's possibly just not fragrant, but the color, shape and lasting quality make it totally worthwhile!

• rox146
    10 years ago

heck with the last flower...who is the cute guy in the bushes???? :-))) roxanne

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Laura, thank you for posting all the beautiful pictures of your plants this year. I really did appreciate seeing them. It kept my dreams of growing plumeria alive. I'm hoping next year, I can post pictures to. I am getting to use the new camera, taking pictures of the new grandbaby. Barbra

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Yes Laura!! That was me! Haha funny looking guy.

Thanks for the info!

:)

Mark

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Been working to much... Had to come back and say hi!!,

K... I had to laugh. You are so right, I did move a dump truck load!!! My back and arms are finally feeling better!!

Good luck with your move... I know it takes a lot of preparation , but it is all worth it!!! I am also tempting to bring in some of the big cut back ( huge) trees and putting them in the garage.. I probably will do that too.

Hi Jen... That isn't the possible VV.. It was a tree given to me by a friend and it was named , but I was told it isn't the Name I posted.. What ever it is, it's a beauty!!! Another possible XX? I love it though...

Be careful moving those trees, Jen!!!

ROX!! TO FUNNY!!! Heck with the bloom!!!! LOL... I would agree, but it is my son!!! He is my wonderful, helpful (. 23 year old baby.... ). I was going to say say he was the gardener or pool boy, but I couldn't... I had to explain to him that I was trying to use him to show the size of the trees... he is funny, he is a good sport tho!!! Thanks for the cute compliment!!!

The girls like him... ;-) As well as the ladies!!! To funny!

MAHALO!!!

Hi Barbra.. Thank you for the kind compliment !!! I did have a great year with blooms.. I hope next year will be a good one for you. Please keep us updated on your beauties as well as your new grand baby!!!

My grandson is such a sweetie.. Love that little boy!

Hi Mark!!

I thought that was you who thought it looked like " Jar Jar". The angle isn't as good as the other pic that you saw on the Adenium forum. It was turned on this pic. You are right tho.. It really does!!!

Hope you are having a good fall.. It's kind of nice to put the trees to bed and take a break...

I need a break!!!

Time to head south... ;-). Yep, I stopping by Florida colors on my way to the Keys... Good thing I'm flying.. But, that hasn't stopped me before.. Lol!

This time noooo Antlers... ;-). Ok, maybe...

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 21:06

• rox146
    10 years ago

you are so lucky to get to go to FC. All the best of luck to you....may the "force" be with you.....roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Keys! Lobster season is still going and IMO now is a really good time to go. Not as crowded and very little threat of storms.

Have a great trip and visit with Tex, Kay, and Carol and their 2.5 acres of Plumerias.

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

What a job Laura!! But so worth it! :) You need a big hoop house, it would make it so much easier. I didn't get one done this year but next year for sure it will be done.

A few of mine have gone dormant, but it's been so warm, most of them are leafing out and many are putting out lots of new leaves. I wish they would slow down. I even tried no water, but they drooped, so had to water since it's been in the high 80's.

Your yard looks fabulous!!

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Love your back yard Laura, and the side yard! It's paradise! I want to see it one of these days! I will even agree to bring some of my trees!

Andrew

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

We went down this weekend, I dug up 24 plumeria and stored them inside the carport, with the potted plants. Next weekend I am planning on digging up another 20. My husband bought a farmers almanac, it said we are going to get a freeze the first week of December. I changed my mind and decided I would bring in all my plants this year. Last year I kept the larger ones in the ground and only brought in the potted plumeria. This year I don't feel as lucky. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Great job, Laura! ((Yes, I'm late to the party! LOL))

I can only imagine the work you put forth. I have less than 75 plumeria and it took me and my son half the day to bring them in the house. They had been in the gh but it seems like it may be a cold winter?? so I decided they would fare better in the house. All of mine had stopped blooming since they went in the gh last month. I think it has just been too cold at night out there for them. They haven't gone dormant but it was just a matter of time.

Wow, that's quite a Kapalua you have there!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Powder...

I would love to have a hoop house, but I'm afraid I don t have any more room for one.. Besides, that would give me MORE room and I know what I would do... Hehehehe!

Thank you for the kind compliments, it was a lot of work but the trees are finally resting in their proper place. Everyone is happy now, including the DH!!!

Sounds like your trees want to continue to grow... I would like that as well, but I really do like the break. It's to bad we can't have a happy middle ground. I'm sure you are having some wonderful temps down in Florida. We are heading down in the near future and I'm looking forward to the keys.. As well as FC visit.

Hi Andrew!!! Thanks for the kind words.. I worked hard on those palms many years ago and now they are on their own. I only have to cut some fronds in the spring and I don't have to cover or use heat tapes on the hearts anymore. They are all cold hardy for my area and are very happy!!

I think if you did visit.. You can leave your trees for J to take care of.. My DH would have a cow if he saw another Plumie addict with trees In hand. LMAO!. That would be great to have you visit!!!

Hi Barbra!

Oh my.. You have been busy. Im Sure it was a lot of hard work digging them up. I see in another thread that you are trimming down the trees? I'm trying to do that as well. But you are more organized than I am and have a list.. So good luck to you this winter. Just a few hours ago, I was looking at the radar app on my cell and looking in your area of Texas. Looks cold tonight !!

Please take good care of yourself and don't over due it with all of the trees..I know my back was sore and I didn't dig up any.. Good night, Barbra!!

Hi Mona!! We have missed you. Hope you are doing well!!!!

I hear you about the cold temps.. I'm north of you and Im seeing some chilly nights!! I think tonight is supposed to get into the 20's. what? ;-). I did bring in my beloved trees and I do have quite a few out In the greenhouse. I just hope the power doesn't go off when I am out of town.. That would be horrible.

My Kapalua is a nice size and I love it!!! It has an inflo pushing right where it is in The great room but I can't put it anywhere else to get better light, so I am hoping it will continue to grow.. We shall see. I am hoping. My Kapalua cutting that I have been trying to root is still hanging on. It has been more than three months since I received it and it is just still there.. No root activity, keeping my fingers crossed... I have heard these are soooo hard to root! I think they are right!!!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

I am so sorry for not posting sooner.. I didn't see PP and Andrews as well as Barbra's post until you posted, Mona!!

Thanks again!!

Night!!

Laura

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I`m tired thinking about all that work. Everyone I know on the mainland has dug and stored their plumeria. Of course on the island we`re just like, whatever. I am pulling in some seedlings today and moving some of the potted ones to the south side of the house.

It`s going to be back in the 70`s-normal for this time of year-by Monday.
    Stay warm and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tally..

It is a lot of work!! I am just glad it is all done and now I have a break for at least four months. Hopefully they will all fall asleep soon. They still are trying to stay active, but they will soon simmer down!!!

Your temps sound wonderful!!

Enjoy!!!

Laura

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Impressive! Absolutely impressive!! A real forest invading your house haha. I can only imagine how heavenly can be during summer!!

Mima

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area