Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Some Seeds and other things

the_first_kms2
11 years ago

So I kind of missed most of my mid season blooms this year but here are some misc. seed pods and other interesting plumeria things.

{{gwi:1221721}}

{{gwi:1221722}}

{{gwi:1221724}}

{{gwi:1221726}}

{{gwi:1221728}}

And here are some observations and other things:

this is a branch that the tree decided it didn't want anymore. It basically just shriveled up and fell off. I have seen this happen on mature trees.

{{gwi:1221729}}

JL cuttings Teresa Wilder and Cindy Schmidt Orange rooted in March drying out on the sidewalk. I had to rescue them from about an inch of standing water.

{{gwi:1221730}}

Here is a pump assembly i purchased to pump rainwater from my overflow containers to the Plumerias. I found a pump which came with a 5/8 inch fitting to connect it to a standard garden hose. Cut off the female connection and pushed it onto the 5/8 inch fitting. Then used an inexpensive ring type sprinkler to distribute it.

{{gwi:1221731}}

{{gwi:1221732}}

A Fish Emulsion and Superthrive Latte. A Plumeria Favorite.

{{gwi:1221733}}

low pressure sprinkler that i can just rest on the container for a few minutes and then move it to the next one.

{{gwi:1221734}}

various Blooms

{{gwi:1221736}}

Some sort of insect damage on a two tip Singapore Obtusa destroyed this tip. I removed the top two leaves and then took these two pictures a few weeks apart.

{{gwi:1221738}}

{{gwi:1221740}}

I call this one hair club for Penang Peach.

{{gwi:1221742}}

Country Club rooting method

Comments (11)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great pics! You lucky dog having seed pods.
    Do I see my Titlest in that pot!
    Another great idea too. Now I have a use for hawked golf balls. LOL
    Lonnie

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Love the use of golf balls!

Are those live oak acorns sitting in the water?

So what is your view of seeds and seedlings? Do you really think they're worth your time to save and grow? They take up a LOT of real estate and take soooo long before blooming.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

man you are going to have a ton of seeds next year, lucky you!

Ive been keeping an eye on all mine, but so far no one seems to be making seeds.

mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Great pics K! I can't believe how many seed pods you have! You're very crafty and have a knack for making some really cool gadgets there!

Dave, I'm growing a lot of seedlings, and you're right about the real estate and time. However, after seeing some of the seedlings some folks have on the MPG forum, as well as one jandey has (shout out Blaze!)and a few others it makes me have hope that a few might be something worth keeping. They also give me something do fuss on in between full grown plants. It's only my first year, I'll have to let you know in a few years LOL!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

elucas: They are kind of fun to watch grow. But with so many great proven cultivars out there. Who has room? ...Unless you have a small acreage in zone 10 somewhere.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Dave you speak the truth!!! I went in blindly, I admit. HAHAHAHA! Acreage in zone 10....aaaaaahhhhh, sounds lovely :)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Well, at least your Singapore is bouncing back, K. Very nice idea with the pump and sprinklers. Is there any handy fix you haven't thought of yet?

Yes, Dave, some of us are new enough that we're still in denial about the commitment we've made with our seedlings. My solution is doubling them up in their pots next year and then buying more acreage after that fails to make more space, haha!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those sure are Live Oak acorns. They are everywhere right now. I don't have enough sunny spots in my backyard for seedlings so I am happy to let others try their hand at it. I might keep some for root stock to learn grafting techniques.

The golf balls were a handy filler to help stabilize those two cuttings.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those sure are Live Oak acorns. They are everywhere right now. I don't have enough sunny spots in my backyard for seedlings so I am happy to let others try their hand at it. I might keep some for root stock to learn grafting techniques.

The golf balls were a handy filler to help stabilize those two cuttings.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi K!!!

Great use of those balls!! LOL.. They work great!!!

Loved seeing the pics of your pods.. i have a few (3) THIS TIME OF THE YEAR ,, MY "Hopeful VV" My Leela and my Wizard..

Love all of the other pics of the pump and sprinkler set up.. ALl great things that we like to see and get ready toi use. This is what i love..going to the store (lowes) and finding useful items for my trees.. Great job!!!

I need to post a new thread with my pods and my nem Kimi Moragne that just opened while i was away at work.. I cant wait for you to see her!! SHe is beautiful K....

Funny how we get this excited over littlre things like this. AA friend from Florida sent me some Seeds DR fram Mark Dirmmit and i am stoked,, i planted them up and they were sprouting in 6 days.. ill have to post a pic for you to see,,,,

Take care and congratulations on a fine job K... Thanks you so much for the other.. Means alot.. Mahalo!!

gIVE YOUR LITTLE ANGELS A KISS!! tHEY ARE SO PRECIOUS!!!

i WIL BE NIBBLING ON MY NEW GRANDSON THIS WEEKEND.. yum!!!

sEE YOU k!!!

lAURA

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    thanks for the comments. The golf balls stabilization was improvisation after several of the cuttings were transplanted leaving those two to root a bit longer. It actually worked out better than gravel which can get a bit too hot during high summer down here.

The pump was just a way to get the rain water from the container to the plants without me having to carry buckets. It just saves alot of time and I can do some other things while the pump puts out a gentle stream which just does a great job of soaking but not overflowing.

Sponsored