Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Sad Day In Virginia Beach...

Hello everyone!!

Well i almost finished cutting off the leaves on the top deck today.. some of them i can't reach, so i will have to wait until DH comes home to reach them for me. LOL.. Do you all think his allergies will be a problem? ;-) LOL..

before..

After... sniff sniff..

{{gwi:1221928}}

{{gwi:1221930}}

{{gwi:1221933}}

Started some Thai DR seeds a few weeks ago..

{{gwi:52919}}

Other DR seedpods ready..

{{gwi:52920}}

The lucky ones that will stay under lights this winter..

{{gwi:1221936}}

{{gwi:1221938}}

Divine still trying..

{{gwi:1221940}}

pool is closed too.. bottom cleaned up.. sniff, sniff...

{{gwi:353366}}

just for fun.. i started some little ones in Turface fines

{{gwi:52909}}

{{gwi:50808}}

Bonnie Fox cutting ready to be potted up!! Tks!! : )

{{gwi:1221942}}

Plumeria Protector watching the cutting process.. i think she was sad too! Sniff, sniff.. : )

OK.. im ready for a glass of wine..

Sleep well!!

Laura

Comments (16)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Laura - I think I would worry about your DH's eye allergy! He may develop a twitch and slip with the snippers! LOL

ON the serious side, you must have worked all day, but you did a great job! Spring will be here before you know it. There is always beauty on the horizon!

Those seedlings are so very cute. Love the one in the horseshoe crab.

Divine inflo is so pretty, and wow, that Bonnie Fox is one heck of a cutting! Love it!

Sniffling because the pool is closed? I'm guessing you don't do the maintenance. :)
    The happiest day of my life was when the pool was removed. 'Course, if it were an inground pool I may have felt differently?

It's not a sad day. Repeat after me... only 157 days until spring. only 157 days until spring. only 157 days until spring. It helps if you close your eyes and breath deeply. No wine. You may slur the words and postpone spring!

LOL

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I feel for ya buddy. I froze my BUTT OFF digging out those angel trumpets. I almost thought about letting them die as punishment for not blooming for me this year....LOL! I still had my back up A.T. in my basement but I couldn't go thru with it...lol!

Reading what you said about your D.H. and his allergies made me remember something else I wanted to tell you, and everyone else here. On F.B. Plumeria Addicts page, someone posted that they had been give a TON of fresh flowers. They could only do so much with them, so you know what they did? THEY DECIDED TO MAKE PLUMERIA LIQUOR! No Joke! I Think they used a bottle of vodka and added all those blooms. People were speculating if it would be toxic or not. Some people were saying that it's the sap that makes the plumeria poisonous so they were thinking it may be safe. I told Jose..."Now you think I am a plumeria freak!" LOL! I just hope that the person doesn't get sick and I hope it does taste good or else they wasted all that vodka for nothing.

I still have tons of plants to move around, and I still have to spray. In fact, the trees that are under lights are all ready infested with spider mites! That happened in 1 week. Sunday it is supposed to be 74 so I will spray them then. Man, it will feel like heat wave! I still have solid bud development on my JJ Christina so I think it will bloom. The G. Sunset is growing buds back now so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will pull thru. I have a sambac jasmine that is all budded and trying to bloom, my 'Ruby Red' grapefruit needs to be positioned under the lights so the fruits can finnish ripening, along with my 'Meyer' lemon, and my 'Violette de Bordeaux' fig tree.

My D.R. seedlings that are a couple years old now still look good but another year without blooms. *SIGH* I don't understand this flower. I am starting to think that maybe N.Y. is just too cold for them to bloom. This summer was so hot and they still didn't bloom. There around 3 years old now so I thought they would bloom.

Well take care and I will call you soon. I feel for ya. Spring is still too far away for me. I dread this winter, especially knowing that I will have to deal with snow, and ice while I am recovering from back surgery. I just hope I can at least help a little with shoveling, though I don't think that will happen. Poor Jose's hands are still not that great, even after the carpo tunnel surgery.

Hi Mona,
    Thanks for trying to give us all a little encouragement, and I know that we will see spring so fast, it wont seem like winter was ever here. It really doesn't get too bad here until January and then it's pretty miserable up thru February. We see the coldest weather, along with the heaviest snow fall.

I also worry that because we had such a great year for fruits and veggies, that we will have a hard winter. Isn't that how it usually goes?

Well take care. I am going to try to get a good night sleep now.

Andrew

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Re: the plumeria liqueur, I mentioned that just because the flowers smell good doesn't mean they would also taste good. Also, she was mixing all different kinds of plumeria flowers so the combined scents could be either very good or very bad. But, of course, it's just an experiment. lol

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Laura, this is an annual event that none of us like to have to do. I too gave mine a trim and put them in the garage for now so I fell your pain :( Although the temps here are ideal so I cant figure that one out, LOL. Something I noticed this morning was that all the inflo's i left on are trying to bloom again so maybe Ill get to enjoy a few more flowers.
    this year I let my 8 year old daughter help out. She did a great job and actually had some fun.

mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

I feel your pain Laura. I too have been giving mine a hair cut. I've only done a few at a time and then bring them in. As the room is filling up I'm wondering if I'll fit them all in. Still have 15 more to go. Boy am I glad they are mostly small ones. Don't know what I'll do with that many VWs. I guess I'll be opening a used plant lot. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh Laura, that's no fun :( I know the plants actually need it, but still...! I dread bringing mine in and I would say it will only be another 2-3 weeks - but they are already lagging from the weather turning strange on us even though it's not cold. They know. They want to go to sleep.

You did a great job there, it's a labor of love for sure. Ok, so is that the most enormous punytail palm I've ever seen behind your young'uns or is that something else? HOLY. COW!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Wonderful pics!!! Its always sad to see your babies go to sleep for the season, but remember you will have a lot more time for your grand babies and the holidays. What will you do in 5 yrs when those plumies are large shrubs and trees..lol Where will you put them? Does it snow or get frost in VA BCH?

I love your black Lab...so cute.

Thanks for sharing.

• cessna_175
    11 years ago

Hey Laura, Take a break, you need it. I can't cut any leaves off unless they turn yellow. I am keeping my plants in a west facing room with large windows and am hoping they stay active most of the winter (Yes, it is crowded) Lucky for me, my wife is very very understanding!!

Bill

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Laura, freak4plumeria raises a VERY IMPORTANT point. One of the reasons we grow these things is BECAUSE they accept such a long dormancy, and because I can 'pile' them up in the garage or wherever, and because I don't have to worry about them (aside from the garage heater going out! or losing power!). Now we can get on with our lives! Hah! -- plus you do have your DR seedlings (and grandson) to fuss over.

Side note: my DR has these long seed pod things too that look like Ham radio antennas. They're rather strange. When do they open up?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

It just makes the spring awakening that much better. I have seen in the last week a marked change in a few varieties like Jeannie Moragne and Duke. Leaves on the bottom are yellowing and the tips are slowing down. I spent part of Saturday going around and cleaning things up by knocking off finished inflos and yellow leaves with a broomstick and a garden hose to knock loose dead leaves and flowers caught in the canopy. Its somewhat therapeutic. All the fallen leaves get picked up out of the flower beds and thrown in the grass where the mower can mulch them up.

Dean Conklin, DSP, Penang Peach, Mini Devine, and a few others are still blooming but most everything else is pretty much done. I found more seed pods than I originally thought.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Mona.. Had to chuckle over the slipping with the snippers... He would like to snip more than the leaves..LOL!! I didn't wait for him to help, so i pulled those large trees out from the corner and still have them in the center of my deck. They are so pretty and so tall.
    I think they are about 10 feet tall. I'm worried about them fitting into the house when i bring them in. So.. i might have to prune just to get them in.

"VW's needs new roof..." ;-)

Bonnie Fox is a beautiful cutting. This is a huge cutting and i love how it has branched out. I still need to pot up...

The pool is closed.. I am happy about that. YES!!! I do the maintance as well as take care of the hottub. We really do enjoy the pool during the summer, but it is nice when it is closed for the winter. One less thing to worry about!! I was also the caretaker for the palms as well. I used to put up Christmas lights and wrap them around the trunks for the holidays.. I gave that up. To much work.. : )

Now it is my son's duties to help cut dead fronds from the Palms in the spring. I don't climb those ladders anymore. The small palm.. ok. But the 16 footers..NO! LOL..

I like the count down of the days to spring.. Maybe if i have another glass it will be even less days to count!! : )

Hi ANdrew...

I was busy cutting and bagging leaves. Labor of love alright!!! I am tired of this ritual, but it will be a nice time to relax and focus on other things ;-)

Sounds like you have been busy as well. Watch your back!!

LOL... Making liquor out of blooms? Ewwww!!! i would worry about that!! Maybe next year!! LOL.. Gifts for the family!!! : )

Hi Mike!! I left my inflos on my trees too! I wish i had a little helper to collect leaves!! SO nice to let her help you and im sure she enjoys being just near you!! : )

It is such a sad time to cut the leaves, but i know it will be soon before they are out again and we are all talking about how they are opening for the season.. OHhh how time is flying by...

Nice to hear from you as always!!

Hi Peg,

SO nice to have lunch today!! Always fun to see you!!!

I went and sprayed all of mt trees with Bayer 3 in 1 to help get rid of any unwanted critters. I will start the "march of the Plumeria" next week.. sigh.

Hi Emily.. That is a Ponytail Palm and it is a huge tree! Good eye!! It is almost to large to bring inside too! I had to give away my other Ponytail Palm because it grew so big and tall. I guess it will find its way inside somehow. Someone else noticed on the C & S forum and said it was the biggest on they had seen in a container.. LOL!!

Hope you are well and i cant wait to see some pics from your trees . It is a sad time of the year, but we have to do it!! Im surprised that you have seen a change there already.. i would think you would have a few more months than us.

Thanks again!!

Hi James!! Than you so much!! I do think of the time with the family and the new Grandson!! That makes me happy.. i also love to mess with other things this winter, so i will keep busy. I will still look in on the trees, and also keep others plants growing. Cactus, and some other little trees.

As far as 5 years.. i will have to do a full cut down of the VW's and start new. The big trees now will probably be cut back this spring and i will let the big trunks go. There isnt space for these huge bases here. Sad...

We do get snow sometimes and frost. The city will shut down when it snows here. It is rather funny! Kind of like when it rains in CA. People dont know what to do and how to drive.. LMAO!!!

Hope you are doing well.. i have more pics to share with you. I need to send an email and catch up. thanks for the kind words..

Hi Bill!! I would keep the leaves on too if i could. But having as many as i do, i cant. I have to cut and send them to the backroom for the winter. It is the best way for me and i dont worry about them. They do great with my method.

You do have a great wife!! : ) SHe is a good sport and im sure she loves the looks of the tropical room!

Always nice to hear from you too!

Thanks for everything!!

Hi Dave.. You are so right. We can go on with our lives.. YEA!! had to laugh at the way you described the seedpods on the DR's. They do look funny!! Good news is that they dont take as long to open as Plumeria. Mine have slowed down since the cool air had set in, but some have opened. I would say about 2 months they will open. It may take longer since it is the fall.. Hopefully, they willl continue to grow. If you want some seeds, let me know. Take care, Dave!!

HI K... i agree with you. I am ready to see the new emmerging claws getting ready for the new season too! Makes it all the better.. I have seedpods on Leela, Wizard, Psycho and "hopefull VV" . They are huge right now, so im wondering if they will open this winter.. or spring? Hmmm..Time will tell..

i still have Miami Rose, Divine, Kimi Moragne, Noid white blooming.. so sad to think about cutting off inflos.. so i dont.!!!

Did she receive a new bag? ;-) LOL.. You are a good hubby!!

Have a great night everyone!!

Laura

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Hello, I live in VaBch as well and this is my first time visiting the Plumeria forum. Visiting b/c you mentioned it on your post over at palms. Anyway, I'm sure this is a SHOCKINGLY simple question over here, but why do you need to cut the leaves off of Plumeria in the fall? In the wild I'd imagine they just keep growing, so what benefit is it to cut off the leaves? Another question, are there any hardy plumeria (that can tolerate our occasional freezes)? Thanks for enlightening me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Beach Weather

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi LagoMar,

Welcome to the Plumeria Forum!!!

No Shocking questions here!! : ) Plumeria in the wild still go into a dormant period.. Even in Hawaii they still go dormant for a time.. CA too! They will drop their leaves. They turn yellow and fall off. Sometimes growing these tropicals here in a colder climate, we have to help mother nature...its kind of like "zone pushing with our Hardy Palms.." We have a good time growing these trees here when it take so much patience to finally have blooms.

The reason we here in Va as well as places that have cooler temps during the winter cut off leaves is because Plumeria will go Dormant for the winter. Some will somewhat active living in warmer climates like a zone 10. (Florida) or Southern California and other places. (But they aslo will have some type of dormant period) or just slow down for a time. This is natural for Plumeria.

They will naturally drop their leaves during this period and go into their natural dormant period. Here in Va. they need some help to get ready especially if you have more than a few to store. I have quite a few.. (Others quit laughing..) to put away during the winter, so i have to cut the leaves off so i can store them in a back bedroom for the winter. If i only had a few like some of my friends lets say in PA, they can keep them active with grow lights or keepng them close to a sunny window and letting them decide if they go dormant or not. Some will stay on the edge of going dormant...

I don't have that option. Storage is my problem and i have to ge them ready to bring them inside before nightime temps drop below 45* My older trees could take temps down to close to freezing, but i would never take that chance with my trees.

There are some varieties that may tolerate colder temps, but none would survive here outside during our winter.

Im sure you are shocked to see all of my trees stripped.. LOL. Especially if you have never seen them done like this before. People in Texas, Florida and other parts of the country do this as well as bareroot them for the winter. Our dormancy period is longer than theirs and they can bareroot them.

PLumeria are wonderful trees and i truly love them. I also, as you know love my Palm trees. I have had them in the ground for around 18 years and they are so much fun to grow. They don't require much attention anymore since they are so established. I was one of the ones back then who planted them and they have done well... (early palm lover in VB)

I will have about 25 or so Plumeria staying active under my T-5 lights this year and they will do fine. I will have to battle spider mites tho. Always something..

Most of my other trees will go to sleep until APril. I think i will have about 75 in the backroom and upstairs.

Hope this answers your questions..

Always nice to see another from VB here. I remember when you first started posting on the palm forum and i said hello. I guess you never saw those post. SO Hello!

Take care,

Laura

Here is a pic of my palms.. just for you to see!!

some of my blooms..

Goodnight all..

Laura

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Wow thanks for the quick response! You are right, I missed your "hello" over at palms. Sorry wasn't trying to be rude. "Hello how are you?" I know you are a proud recent g-ma so congratulations! I love your palms btw. Glad to see that you didn't just try one variety. Windmills are a bit too ubiquitous imo. Since you are 8b I'm guessing you are right on the coast like me and have found that sabals, jellies and others will grow with no problems here. Anyway thanks for the education on the plumeria. They really are beautiful Trees!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

It sure is sad to see all the plumerias stripped of their leaves for the winter. It will be really interesting to see how those Desert Rose seedlings turn out.
    And the palms still look as great as always!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• pcput
    11 years ago

Welcome LagoMar, from another Va.Beach addict. I cut my leaves off for the first time this year. The last two winters I only had a few so it was no problem to clean them up as they fell. This year I have so many that I've added, I needed to make room to get them in. I would have to move them to even get to the leaves to pick them up. It is sad to see them go back to looking like the cuttings you start with when rooting. We are getting enough people to start a local cub here. Peg