Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with my Plumeria

Posted by Zell75 none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 23:45

I bought it just about a year ago now. When I got it, it was in a small pot, and the roots were growing out of it like crazy. So as soon as I could, I re-potted it into a larger pot so that it would fit. Over the last year it has gone up and down in foloage, but all the leaves eventually either shrivel up and turn brown and fall off, or they would turn yellow and fall off.

I only water it once the soil is dry to touch, then i give it a couple days. It is indoors, and will be for the winter months, and outside in the summer months when it is warm enough up here in Vermont.

I would say that it may be dormant, but there is new growth. It is in mostly sun light with a lot of filtered light every day.

If you have any suggestions, please I want it to be beautiful. I first saw these flowers when I was in Hawaii. They are beautiful, and I would love to have them growing in my home, if possible.

Thanks again guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with my Plumeria

Plumeria are deciduous. Losing leaves in the winter is normal. Also losing leavings in the summer is not a cause for concern as long as it is the older leaves. Yours is probably just fine.

Mike

o

Be real careful with watering it if it has gone dormant and lost it's leaves. I only water mine 1/2 cup for a 1 gallon pot once a month during the winter when they are inside. The fastest way to kill it is keeping it too wet. Even though the top of the soil is dry the bottom my still be wet. Good luck with your plant and let us know how it does. Welcome to the group.
Peg

o

Zell, unfortunately your plant will suffer from the longer indoor winters in Vermont. They only need 2-3 months of winter rest and as much sun as possible the rest of the year to be at their best.

Can you give it some supplemental lighting to keep the dormancy period shorter? This will give you a better chance of blooms as the plant matures.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here