Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Late season October blooms after the rain.

Kimo
12 years ago

Well my plume patch has been over cast and cool most of the 2011 growing season mid 60s to mid 70's with an occasional 80 something day fare and few in between, also had horrible powdery mildew and black fungal spots on a lot of plants because of the cool, damp, dark summer.

Well even with the cold temps and dramatic changes in temps from day to day (cold, Warm, Dark, Rainy)I am amazed that there are still inflos popping and the colors I am still getting in October, took this yesterday after the AM rains.

Thai Sherbert Town:

Thai Lemon Candy:

Hawaiian Flag;

Duke:

Bonnie Fox (Super Strong Scent for those that love strong Frangipani)

Oz Plumie Australia(Seems to look almost day glow, super neon, bright)

Donal Angus (One of my fav domestic reds):

Singapore import from Barry Eng.. Lost the tag:

Ok thats it for now as the rest of the inflos looked beat up.

Happy Fall

Comments (21)

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing pics of your fabulous blooms. They are outstanding!

Greg

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous blooms! Thanks for the eye candy!
    I'll have to add Thai Sherbert and Bonnie Fox to my list! (Trouble, trouble!!)

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers as always. Sorry your babies have been fogged out this year more than mine. It was a very weird summer in SoCal for all of us. I still have a handful of inflos waiting to open so let us get some sunny days. Bill

• joanr
    12 years ago

Wow, if this is what you get in a bad year your plumerias must be something else in a good year. Those are simply beautiful. I love the Bonnie Fox. Ah heck, I love them all:) Joan

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi James, unbelievably beautiful flowers! The intensity of some of these colors after an 'off' summer is astonishing. You just put Bonnie Fox on my wishlist for next year - I can't resist a beautiful flower that is also intensely fragrant.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Iso

PS: We also had a summer that never really happened, so my Polynesian Red and Celadine are just now starting new inflos. What are the chances of them maturing before it gets cold...

• animalcraker
    12 years ago

I love your Duke, Bonie fox, and Donald Angus. Hopefully my Duke will give me blooms next year.

~Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi James!!!!

Beautiful as always...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous blooms!!!

Cheers!!!

Laura in VB

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey everyone THANKS for the compliments!!
    Suppose to warm up this week, hopefully my plumies will benefit from the temps.

Thanks again!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Nice! The Oz Australia looks a lot like Royal Hawaiian.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave,
    Actually I used my Iphone to take the pics and the Australia bloomed in low 60 degree heat so its appearance is off a bit, but in person it really didnt look like Royal Hawaiian much larger as Australia can get over 4". Even with the 90 degree heat Australia still is not up to par with where it should be in appearance.

I went to my patch today to see what was blooming after a hot week, 3 days of upper 90 degree temps.
    Here is the same inflo after 3 back to back 90 plus days:

Oz Plumie "Australia" Taken 10/15

Here are 2 more I found newly blooming:

Butterfly Gold:

Rim Fire:

That's it for now. Hope everyone's plumie patches are doing well with fall upon us.

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is a Post Script to the above post.
    There are several AKA's for Australia supposedly:

Australia---Capalaba Pink, Miss Perkins, Unconditional Love

Here are pics from DJ's Way:

12 years ago

James,

Always love to see your blooms, they are all beautiful!!

I especially love the Butterfly Gold. The color and the veins are spectacular!!!

Thanks for all of the wonderful blooms!!!

Take care James!!!

Laura in VB

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Laura,
    Thanks again!! Butterfly Gold is one of my fav's and it performs well in the cooler temps of costal So Cal much better than Golden Pagoda and many other imports that need the heat and bright sun light.

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

James- you often have plants I have never heard of. Love to see some of your massive collection. My butterfly gold and my rim fire are so much less colorful than yours and my rim fire is white with color on the edges like a Mary Helen Eggenberger.
    {{gwi:1222500}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some examples of what location and heat can do to the same cultivars:

Sherbert Town:

Grown in South Florida and actually this is who I got my Sherbert town from so they are from the same source. Beautiful pic by Lopaka.
    Lopaka's Sherbert town

My Sherbert town which came from Lopaka but blooming in cold coastal So Cal:

Here is another one I bought from Lopaka (can't find my pic of it blooming last year)
    Lopakas gorgeous pic of Unicorn:

My Unicorn did not perform like Lopaks, very washed out.

Jungle Jacks Jackie, and Taj Mahal have not perfored well either in the cooler temps.

Bill,

I bought my Rim Fire in 2002 from this guy in FLorida via Evilbay, bidding was furious as I ended up paying 300.00 for the rooted plant. I actually won a 2nd rooted plant later from the same seller, I gave one as a gift to Suki in Hawaii as she said it looked different and was gorgeous, hers bloomed like his. According to the pics (the sellers pics where gorgeous but again it was FL with heat and humidity.) his Rim Fire looked very different than JL's Rim Fire, more like Danais Delight, Someone on MPG from Texas posted pics of her Rim Fire blooming couple years ago and it looked like the pics of my sellers Rim Fire. Ill try to look for the sellers pics. I think it may be different as the color is stronger than JL's Rim Fire (JL's seems more pinkish on rim, I use to have JL's also but cleared it out as I preferred mine.) If you would like a cutting Bill let me know at my Rim Fire is pretty big now.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow, all the pictures are just spectacular! That Unicorn is to die for. I've never heard of it. Butterfly Gold has always been at the top of my favorites list, unfortunately mine has not flowered yet.
    Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunseeker,

I know some people in the Inland Empire complained that their Butterfly Gold took years for it to bloom, where my BFG bloomed the first year I had her. I purchased my BFG from Luc @ Florida Colors. As for the Unicorn I believed it to be similar to Sheer Beauty for some reason. Actually bloomed very white yellow for me.

Bill here is a pic of my BFG blooming light in 90 degree heat, I believe it was the summer of 2007 heat wave.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

James, always nice to hear what your experiences are between all the different cultivars--thanks for the insights! Your Capalaba looks fantastic no matter what temperatures you have; the petal shape is unbeatable.

BG is exceptionally beautiful but I wondered if it would be a slow bloomer for me in Texas, as our heat can go to the other extreme.

Lopaka's photostream is amazing. I love to go and take a mini plumeria vacation browsing his photos!

Jen

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I agree with Jen, Lopaka's photos are just spectacular!!!
    As well as yours James!!! Love the BG, but when i saw the pic of the Unicorn..AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Love the colors on that beauty!!! It's amzing how one can think you have seen the most vibrant colorful bloom, only to see another that takes your breath away....

Thank you for the wonderful pictures!!!

Great way to start the day!!!

Take Care,

Laura in VB

• kaz171
    12 years ago

Awesome pics Lolo! i was gonna say that OZ plumie looked like Capabala. 2 many a.k.a.'s... I've bought many based on Lopakas pix and when the bloom here, they look washed out or extremely different. Braddah just knows how to bring out the best in his plumies I guess (well the heat and humidity of So.FL probably helps out a bit...lol) I love Donald Angus, but he doesn't like it here, DA and BFG have never shown their faces yet. :~(
    Hope everythings good brah..

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

James, I'm so glad to hear you got your BFG from FC. I did too, a few months ago :-) So I'm hoping it will flower for me the same as it does for you! Love the pictures! Whether yellow, light or dark, it is an awesome flower!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH