Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_kerr_gw

Plumeria 101 - Help

richard.kerr
9 years ago

Dear Friends; I need your help as I fear my 2 canes are dying.

Background; I purchased 2 canes (Mystery and 24 Karat), roughly 18" long, planted per instruction in 12" pots, 90% perlite. I water 1x each week roughly 1 qt. located in window box winter temp ranges from 55 to 80 degrees.

Growth; slow, in 6 months Mystery produced cluster of 12 pre blooms but all died prematurely. 24 Karat produced large robust leaves and has 2" stub with the start of flower cluster.

Current condition; Mystery originally had bright green nubs which have all turned black. It also had new leaves which some turned black and fell off. Further, the cane is starting to look like it is drying up. 24 Karat is hanging on, but no blooms are forming and those too are looking black. A couple of leaves have dropped.

What am I missing? Any comments? Treatments or recommendations? Going forward?

Please help. Thanks.

Rick

Comments (3)

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Rick, First where are you in CA? This is really not the best time to start cuttings. The first ones I ever bought were at a home show in Sept, many years ago and they told me lots of things that just were not true. I killed the first set and then the second set but I finally got the hang of it. I am in Lakewood, which is close to Long Beach and mine are outside all year. All of mine will lose their leaves this time of year and I have stopped watering them because the worse thing that you can do for these plants/cuttings is for them to sit in water or damp soil. I do try to start all cuttings in Feb, March and April. But still have some cuttings that have not rooted and will be moving them on the patio so they will not get wet if we get a lot of rain this year.

On your cuttings you need to cut back any parts of the plant that has black on them since the rot will work up or down depends on where it started. You might want to cut them and let them dry out some, not in soil and then either try again this year if you do have a heating mat or put them in a dry warmer place and save them for the spring.

I can tell you more if you post pictures. I will say that if you are trying to root them then you should only water once and then don't water again until you start getting leaves. And they do so much better outside. Sometimes that take 3 to 6 months and they do much better if they have heat/sun and I put mine that I am starting on the cement so the pot gets heat at the bottom of the pot. I almost hate to say that I now have between 600-700 plants all sizes. So have been doing this for a while. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions they are a lot of people that will help you. Good luck, Barb

• richard.kerr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barb 13, thank you for your response. Other's comments are welcome too!

Barb, first I am not a techie and don't even know if you will get this message. Photos, I don't know how to send them to you.

Going on, yes, I live in Sacramento and will be moving the plants to Seattle next year. It appears they will be inside plants due to where we live. The canes were planted in 100% perlite and potting soil March 2014.

My take away from your comments is that water (too much) is critical. So, even my quart 1x each week is too much? I should cut away the black shoots. And hope and pray that they will recover?

How do I help them to thrive? They are so slow. Fertilizer? Other?

With 600 or 700 plants you surely must be THE PLUMERIA LADY! I can't go wrong with your advice!

Thanks for your help and response.

Rick

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Rick,

I would not say that I am The Plumeria Lady but with the weather here it is much easier to grow them outside. There is many people on this board that do live in colder weather and they could help you much more then I can but saying that, to much water is the worse thing you can do. They do rot if you give them to much water. And they do have to rest in the winter to get ready for spring. At least here mine do not grow in the winter so you have to keep them alive until then. Yes, be sure to cut off all black spots. Everyone has trouble in the beginning but just keep trying it is well worth it. Enjoy your weekend, Barb

p.s. Could not see your pictures.