Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jedobatx9b

New to Plumeria

jedobaTX9b
9 years ago

Hello all! I got involved with plumeria somewhat by accident. I moved into a home last fall, and noticed what appeared to be a 'stick' with a few small leaves on it. Despite being on Galveston Island in south Texas, it got very cold here last year, and I didn't even think about that stick until spring. It sat outside all winter long in the raised planter I found it in, and we had a fairly hard freeze (~20F). This past spring, I noticed that it had the beginnings of leaves sprouting, and I decided to replant it in one of my planting areas in the front yard. The plant was very spongy. It had very few short, thin roots that were as thin as threads. None of the few roots were longer than an inch.

I had to pack the soil around the plant, and place it somewhat deeper in the soil than I would normally place a plant, but I was able to keep it standing in the soil. I was quite pleased to see that within a few weeks it was sprouting more leaves and even branching in another spot. I did eventually get flowers, and several more branches from the plant.

This plant is still in the ground, but I do plan to pot it up, and bring it inside where I have grow lights. I will post pictures after I bring it inside if anyone is interested.

I was wondering if anyone here had any tips for me on growing this plant, and in particular, if anyone has any experience with grow lights and this plant. I currently grow Adeniums (Desert Rose) indoors under the same lights. The lights that I have are LED (red&blue) and they greatly stimulate stem and leaf growth. I have read here that I can take cuttings and root those. Is that very difficult to do? Lastly, if I am able to obtain healthy cuttings, would anyone here be interested in some, as it would appear that this is a very cold-hardy specimen.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for reading. :)

Jerry

Comments (4)