Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

final trim before storage

I hate this time of year. Wednesday temps dipped down to 38 degrees and its predicted to be 32 next week. I have been trimming leaves for two weeks in preparation of moving plumies inside for the winter. Yesterday was the final trim and spry down with Bayer3-n-1. They'll get one more spray today and then begin moving inside Saturday.

Lonnie

Comments (14)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found a seed pod on Duke!

Lonnie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More leaf less sticks.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last pic.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Lonnie. Yours look like mine, LOL. It is a sad time of year for sure. thank goodness we have the holidays coming up to hopefully bring some cheer.
    Do you keep yours in the house?

I am prepping a new huge garden and orchard this winter so I am kind of glad I dont have to mess with my tropicals for awhile.

Seems like there is always something to do.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Yup, It will be nice to be able to turn away from the plants for a bit...although I missed most of my blooms this season. I still have a few more weeks until there is a high potential for frost.

Congrats on the Duke Seeds. That might produce some unique seedlings.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,

They are kept in a spare bedroom. I place plastic on the floor to catch any dirt and leaf stems.
    It will be nice not to water for a while.

Lonnie

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Yikes, mid-30's coming next week for us! Time to move everybody inside.

Lonnie, you're going to have some great blooms in the New Year. How is it you guys all have so many late inflos? I have none, and I know most of my plants are the same age as yours.

Has anyone found that garage-kept plumies get the same pest issues as house-kept?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Jen, isn't this kinda early in the year to be this cold? On Tuesday it said we are going to be 34 degrees here in San Antonio, Rockport is going down to 46. Yesterday it was in the 70's. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Barbra, I don't think it will break below 40 for us.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

K, I hope your right. I still need to bring in alot of plants, I am so sore from digging and moving plants this weekend, I can hardly move. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

This is very early for an Arctic front. Mine are usually fine outside until Thanksgiving.

I'm experimenting with leaving one big (7 or 8-year-old) seedling outside with just a frost cloth on it. It's in the ground and I want to see what it will tolerate for cold.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jen,
    Not sure how we got so many late inflo's this year. The only thing I did different this year was to take them all off the concert and onto the ground. I had roots through the pots on almost everyone. I plan to plunge most next year!!!
    I've never stored in the garage. To afraid of losing them this far north. I do plan to store a well established seedling in a storage building attached to the house.

Lonnie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Poor babies! I am so glad I don`t have to do that every year. It has been unseasonably cold here, 25 degrees below normal! The plummies didn`t seem as bothered as I did, Penang peach is blooming like a fiend and every single one has new leaves growing.
    Supposed to be in the 80`s this weekend, another front next week.
    Hope it`s not bad winter this year. I really do not feel like covering or moving things.
    Tally Ho!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I feel for you Barbra!!!

Be careful,brining all of those trees.

You to Jen... It is a lot of work. Sheesh!!!

All of mine al inside too and trimmed. I left a few, but most have had then" cut"

It's time to make sure they are all in place for the winter tho...

You guys take good care and please be careful hauling them all in..

Good luck !!

Laura

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus