Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daperrin

Plumeria Growth Under Florescent Lighting

daperrin
15 years ago

Has anyone had success growing plumeria under florescent lights. Not expensive HID or anything like that. Just plain old florescents. I have started a small 'green house' in my spare bedroom with a space heater and a 2x4 florescent light. I have about 10 cuttings and a 1 year old. I initially started the project to see if I could extend the growing season of my 1 year old as I was just getting my first blooms. Unfortunately the plant was beginning to drop the flowers before they could bloom due to fall setting in. I was pleasantly suprised when the plant realy took off under a constant florescent lighting of around 15 hours and a room temp of between 70 and 80. My blooms not only opened but lots of new ones began to pop up. My new branches also grew very quickly.

Comments (17)

• houstontexas123
    15 years ago

i havent done it with my plumeria, but have done it the past few years with my small orchid plants. used a small space heater, a floor fan (air circulation) and 2 high wattage CFLs running 16hrs per day. they kept growing nicely throughout the winter.

grats on your success, some pics plz =)

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of the cuttings have 1 or 2 small emerging leaves as of this week! I have invested in a number of rather expensive named Plumerias so I am increasingly excited with the success of the lights.
    I too have a couple of Orchids under the lights as well. I read that it will promote blooms next season. Have you found this to be true?

How do you post a picture?

• houstontexas123
    15 years ago

my orchids were small baby plants which have grown well under artifical lights in my old dorm room. moved to a new house last year and didnt setup my lights, just placed them next to a west window, kinda just neglected them. kinda shifted my focus to JMs, azaleas, plumies, and my yard. but my den did bloom outside late this summer with 2 spikes =)

some pics of my orchid:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg0922585632236.html

to post pics, you goto imageshack or photobucket or any other photo hosting websites, upload your pic, then link it in your posts.

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I will test out the picture links.
    Here is my little green house setup and a few young plants I have grown over the last 3 months.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/perrinfamily/3026061410/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    Here is the first bloom from my 1.5 year old cutting I brought back from Hawaii from the good old ABC store. This is what has gotten me started down the Plumeria path!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/perrinfamily/3025231007/

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What did I do wrong? Was I suppose to put the url in the optional link box?

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read the directions this time, he he.

Here is my little green house setup and a few young plants I have grown over the last 3 months.

Here is the first bloom from my 1.5 year old cutting I brought back from Hawaii. I bought it from the good old ABC store. This is what has gotten me started down the Plumeria path! It is the same as the one in the picture above.

Here is a 6 week old cutting doing nicely under the lights and no heat pad by the way only a space heater with temps around 75. Lights are on for about 15 hrs. In fact two of the four lights dont even work.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

I have a setup in my basement with three flourescent units, each with two 40-watt 4-foot tubes. I have a plumeria in full bloom under them right now. On for 16 hours, off for 8.

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

do you have it heated in any way? whats the temp?

15 years ago

My basement is room temperature.

I also have some in the garage under lights. The garage will get down to around 50 degrees in winter, maybe a bit colder. We'll see how they do. They're too large to bring into the house!

• kandhi
    15 years ago

Dave, I am in virginia too. I live in vienna. Just got hooked on to plumeria 3 months ago and started with 2 new rooted cuttings. Both plants are in 8inch containers and dropped all leaves but do have few spikes at top. Instead of putting them to dormant, I would like them to grow so that I get a chance to enjoy the blooms if any next summer. Is it just the shoplights you used? 4 foot tubes 40watt? Can you post your picture if possible to have an idea. My basement temp is 60+, if I start with the setup you did will that work for me? I have read many threads on this to understand and learn on growing plumerias, this is very addictive. Thanks

15 years ago

Sounds like your situation should work well. I think that's an ideal temperature. Keep the lights on 16 hours or so and don't overwater. You're not going to get much growth. Water just enough to keep the root ball from shriveling and keep the plants hydrated. They may just bloom for you over winter. I'm in Annandale, just off Little River. I used to live in Vienna (and loved it!).

• kandhi
    15 years ago

Dave, I have been reading other threads on this forum and I came across 'Faces to Names' tread and saw your picture with your wife. My wedding day is same as yours. Good to know someone here is virginia is also growing plumeria's. With several years of your experience and expertise please provide your advice on where to buy the cuttings or what specific species are tough in our area. I am on Rt 123 close to old chainbridge rd near tysons corner. How many plumeria species are you currently growing?

• houstontexas123
    15 years ago

thats a great setup.

if your phals havent bloomed for you under those lights, you might want to elevate them a bit closer to the light, about 12" or so from the light.

15 years ago

Hi kandhi,

I know your area well. I have a rented garden plot in Lewinsville Park. I also like to try to get to the Farmer's market there if I'm ever off on Fridays! I got most of my plants (cuttings) either off E-bay or from friends. I would suggest you get a 'Kimo' if you only had to get one variety. I probably have around 25 plants or so. If you're ever in Annandale, you should try to stop by and see my setup.

Here are some photos from our yard this last summer. (A friend took all these photos).

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Around our yard summer 2008

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Houstontexas123 I had to hoist the lights a little high to occomodate my ever growing Plumeria. I decided to pull it out from under the lights though to allow my cuttings and small Hibiscus plants to get closer to the lights. They are all named varieties while the big one is just a common white of some sort. I cant wait for all those beautiful colors and fragrances to appear some day. I am going to allow the big one to go dormant or whatever it decides to do without the direct lights. I will cut back on the water and stop fertilizing. It will be interesting to see how it responds.

• daperrin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Houstontexas123 I had to hoist the lights a little high to accommodate my ever growing Plumeria. I decided to pull it out from under the lights though to allow my cuttings and small Hibiscus plants to get closer to the lights. They are all named varieties while the big one is just a common white of some sort. I cant wait for all those beautiful colors and fragrances to appear some day. I am going to allow the big one to go dormant or whatever it decides to do without the direct lights. I will cut back on the water and stop fertilizing. It will be interesting to see how it responds.

• astrl
    15 years ago

I am very interested in this idea also. I brought mine in to the sunroom to get them out of the falling temps but I wanted to keep them growing through the winter as well. I will have to buy a space heater and some lights and give this a try.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012