Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Need help finding fragent plumeria

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

I am making my list of plants to keep for next year, and finally have gotten down to fragrance. I have these plants, but since most have not bloomed. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if they have a strong fragrance. It will help me in deciding if I am going to keep them next year.
Musk Rainbow
J-115
Mr. Ambassador
Dwarf Watermelon
Raspberry Sundae
Fabolous
Allison
Wamiea
Broomstick
J L Hot Pink
Metallica
Capalaha Pink

Thanks, Barbra

Comments (22)

• rox146
    10 years ago

do you mean Waimea? If so, I love it and it's fragrance. roxanne

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is what I meant to put. I need to correct the spelling of it. Its a keeper then. Jen gave it to me this summer. I was just at the coast Friday, to pot up the rest of the plants for storage. They are outside drying out, before I put them up. I had three plants blooming in the carport, Broomstick, Honey Queen, and Lani Beauty. The smell was wonderful, like a room full of roses. I never took time to smell broomstick, I was so busy. I remembered on the way home, it was the first time it bloomed. Honey Queen has a strong floral fragrance, like celadine. Lani also has a nice fragrance. Both are on my list of plants to keep. . Barbra

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have had Mr. Ambassador on my wish list and someone told me great color but too much scent. roxanne

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received information that Mr Ambassador has a sweet pungent fragrance, Allison has a nice sweet fragrance , Metallica has a fruity mild and sweet fragrance, and dwarf watermelon has a strong sweet rose fragrance. I have added all 4 to my list. The ones I am most concerned about are the ones I just bought and cannot find information on. Raspberry Sundae, Fabolous, J L Hot pink, J-115, and musk rainbow. I may have to just keep them until they bloom. I have got my plant list down to 35. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just found out that broomstick has a slight fragrance, so it is in the going list. as well as Puu Kahea, Kaneohe sunburst, Pink Ruffels, Dean Conklin, Glady's O'Neal, Gloria Schmidt, Plumeria Don, Leela, and Hilo Beauty. All of these are too big to mail out, most are 3 years old. Barbra

• rox146
    10 years ago

wow..love the smell on my Kaneohe Sunburst. Just goes to show how different they can be in different conditions.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Barbra. From what I understand Raspberry Sundae has a musky skunk smell. You may just want to go ahead and sent it to me.

Wink, wink. LoL.

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike I might just do that, if it has a slight fragrance. I will call German to find out about the other plants fragrance. Funny story, I have 2 Raspberry Sundae. K picked up one for me at the first PSA sale, Barbara Randolph said it was sunburnt, so I bought another one at the 2nd PSA sale, along with everyone else. When It came to digging up the plants, could not find the 2nd one. When I went into the seedling bed, I was digging up a nice sized plant, and written on the stem was Raspberry Sundae, thank goodness I wrote the name on the trunk, because the white tag was blank. I would have never known. Moral to the story is you need to write the name of the plant on its trunk when you first get it, or you will end up with bunch of NOID's. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, Waimea is supposed to have a great fragrance and I remember Gladys O'Neal having a lovely rose scent when it bloomed for me. I want to say Capalaba has a good fragrance, too, if I remember right.

If you decide to get rid of J115, let me know--it's on my short list. No pun intended :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally found something on J-115 at "Texas Plumeria Gardens", the picture is just beautiful, I will make an exception and keep it. I called German today and left him a message I needed information on Fabolous, and Hot pink, size of blooms, fragrance. I know they are both dark pink. He works evenings and gets off early in the morning. When I get that information, my plant list will be done. It was so sad to dig up my plumeria when its in the high 70's. I was going to just leave the plants in the ground, and dig them up if we got a freeze warning. Change of plans, since I am now watching my grand daughter 3 days a week. I just can't get up and drive to the coast on a minutes notice.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Barbra,
    That Waimea may be from Jim Little's Kiosk if its the one I passed to Jen. Hold on to it because you will love it. I will get you a cutting of "Giveaway Pink" Its got the hot colors that you like and a strong traditional plumeria fragrance if you dont have one already.

The best plant labels are the metal tags which are embossed with the name. Hands down.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K, thank you. I do not have giveaway pink, but it sounds like something I would love. I sure hope the Waimea is the one you gave Jen. I am planning on keeping that one and the Morange Jr, I got from you. I still need to find out about the 2 I bought from German, I hope he calls me back today. I am making my planting chart for next year. I write down everything. Except where I planted that 2nd Raspberry Sundae. I still can't believe I planted it in the seedling bed. Barbra

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I really like the scent on Musk Rainbow.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Puu Kahea, Kaneohe sunburst, Pink Ruffels, Dean Conklin, Glady's O'Neal, Gloria Schmidt, Plumeria Don, Leela, and Hilo Beauty.
    Sounds like an excuse to drive to Rockport to me!
    I`m going to need a truck. lol.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Yes, Barbra, that's the Waimea K got for me so keep it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tally they are very large plants, some have been blooming for 2 years. Pink Ruffels, I just bought last spring. If you want to come down to Rockport, to get get any of them, you can stay with me. I have an extra bedroom. You will love Rockport, the fishing is g-o-o-o-o-d! I have just dug them up and put them in 5 gallon pots, except for Puu Kehea, Gladys O'Neal, and Plumeria Don, they were too big to put in 5 gallon pots, I had to put them in big trash bags, then put the bag in 7 gallon rubbermade pots, to keep them upright. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I love Rockport but haven`t been there for years.
    My 91 year old neighbor wants a red plumeria. I like an optimist! In the spring I will figure out which is red and go plant it in her yard. 91 and still gardening.

I am kind of on hold right now. I go Monday to talk to the city and see if they are going to give me a grant-hurricane money-to finish the house. If they do I will be digging hundreds of plants to move away from the house and possibly moving out for about 3 months.
    Tally Ho!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tally if you need a place to store your plants, I have an acre with a sprinkler system, Its yours for the asking. Please let me know. In the spring, I am going to house the fresh rooted cuttings from the other South Texas Plumeria Members, for our sell off. I have enough room for your plants, and theirs, if you need a place to store your plants I am there, just let me know. If we have a freeze, then I cannot do anything to help your plumeira. We have not had any temps, below 32 degrees in the past 3 years, but I can not assure you that we not. You are welcome to put your plant in the carport with mine.,It is protected, with thick plastic, and a heater, and overhead lights. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Barbra... You so sooo kind!

Laura

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I am a fanatic for fragrant plants but Musk Rainbow was one I had to have no matter how the scent is. I got my first inflo from it in October blooming and the scent is better than I expected. Intensity is about on par with Penang Peach to my nose. The scent profile is like some tropical fruit/berry with caramel which I prefer over The citrus scent of Singapore.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am getting excited, I can't wait until mine blooms. My dwarf plants were the last ones I ordered. I also found out that dwarf watermelon has a wonderful fragance. Spring hurry up and get here. I wish you could smell my back yard, the brugmansia are blooming. It is unbelievable. I will try and take a picture of them tomorrow morning. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

LOL! Thanks for the offer but I would have to rent a giant 18 wheeler to move this jungle! Most of the plants will be dug, stuck in pots and put in my neighbors yard, she doesn`t know it yet.

Cross your fingers. I go tomorrow to my appt. Got a giant stack of paperwork to go with me.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21