Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

winter storage

Everyone is in storage for the winter.

I need to reduce the inventory next year!!!

Lonnie

Comments (30)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

quite a nice bunch you got there.

mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Looks like my house Lonnie. Mine are not so nicely placed. You've got plenty of room there for more "LOL". Peg

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

I am shocked you guys can get away with putting your plumerias inside the house. I put mine in the garage and under a patio I convert into a GH by running plastic around. Tomorrow I am going to replace the Lexan roof of the patio (17-years old). Preparing my plumerias for storage. I uprooted my 3-4 year old seedlings (from 14" diameter) pots and packed them into a 35-gallon pot. I put 22 of them in there (4-7' tall). I then covered the roots with mulch. It saves a lot of room this way.

George

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Love seeing all the plants safely tucked away in peoples houses. We dont really have such cold weather so we dont have to worry about it. Love the cat too pcput :P

• pcput
    11 years ago

That's what happens when us fools try and grow tropical in colder places than were they are suppose to grow. Thanks sbrow156, the cat was a rescue. Here's what he looked like when I got him. Peg

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Awwww the cute little thing!...im so glad you gave him a good home and he is nice and fluffy and healthy now :) This is my little guy :) he was from an animal shelter i got him as an 8 week old kitten :) he is now 3.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

George, that's another great idea for storage! So you shake most of the dirt off and place them in straight mulch for the winter? Is that safer than bare-rooting?

Peg, she's a lovely cat. Bet she'll start climbing those pots to get to the warm lights soon!

Lonnie, you're doing well for space now, just hope that they grow slowly, lol.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Jen,
    I shake all the dirt off and place them in the empty tub. I tie them together. Then I pour some mulch to cover the exposed roots at the top so they do not dry out. They are not planted in mulch.

George

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to double stack several to have room for them all.
    Thanks Peg, but I don't need any more!!! Yah, right.
    George, Great idea. It was 29 degree outside last night here in the DFW TX area. I don't have room in the storage building for them, so they have to come in the house. I plan to have a small GH next year. Jen, yes I know they grow to the size of a VW!
    I'll be down sizing next year. But, that's what I said this time last year!! LOL
    I had to trim all the brugmansia last night to store the mother plants too. Any one want cuttings?

Lonnie

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I have all but 4 in the greenhouse. There is no way no how those last 4 are going to fit but they are in microclimates near the house. So I'll have to figure out a plan "C". Plan A was the permanent greenhouse for the bigs, Plan B was the pop up greenhouse which has all of the smalls and mids. I still have a ton of room at the bottom but no canopy space. It didn't go below 45 last night but this night they are saying mid 30s. I'm not sure its going to get that low.

• pcput
    11 years ago

sbrow156 - put a mask on that boy and you can pass him off as a raccoon. "Cute"
    Jen- Thanks, the cat is very good as he wouldn't think twice of getting into the plants. My other "two" are a different story as they will chase each other over the pots. You can see knobby mats over the big pots to keep them from using them as a litter boxes. One has already broke a tip off but at least it was a four tip plant. He is now crated if no one is home or at night. Peg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Thanks, George. I will try that with the single tips next winter. Much better than trying to fit them all over the house like this:

Living room

Back room

Garage

First time to bare-root a large seedling in the garage

And there are about another twenty scattered around the house, too. I'm gonna need a bigger garage soon! (I don't even bother pretending any more that I'm going to cut back next year, hehe.)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

i read it was much better to put the bare rooted plumeria inside a brown paper bag. they will recover faster in the spring if the roots do not completely dry out. i was going to use a brown paper bag, but i like the mulch idea better. thanks george for sharing. barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

i read it was much better to put the bare rooted plumeria inside a brown paper bag. they will recover faster in the spring if the roots do not completely dry out. i was going to use a brown paper bag, but i like the mulch idea better. thanks george for sharing. barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I did put a twist tie around the top of that paper bag the day after putting it up there, to try to keep the roots from drying completely. That seedling is very slow to wake up in spring anyway, and did not want to go dormant this month, either, so I figured I wouldn't lose much time in the spring with it by bare-rooting.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

whow how did I get that message to post so many times! it must be all these pain pills. sorry. barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, some things just bear repeating!

Forgot to mention that the stretchy (non-sticky) gardeners' tape I told you about to tie up your spreading plants with is clearly seen in that last photo of the bare-rooter.

If you look at my top photo you can see how much I've pulled up Lemon Drop in the corner. She was spreading out a lot and tying up made it easier to move her indoors without breakages and to tuck her into a corner.

Lonnie, I forgot to say that I have a couple cuttings of Strawberries and Cream brugmansia, if you want to trade brug cuttings.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, Betty gave me two of Albert's brugmansia plants, she wanted me to take more, but I only have room for 2 they were in 15 gallon pots. I also took 6 other tropical plants, she wanted me to plant in my yard. She said he loved these plants and she wanted me to plant them in my yard. She is moving back to Belton, and said they would not grow there, and he loved it so much at the coast. What can you say, I dug up plants, and planted them. Betty came buy and saw everything planted, she was so pleased. I know he would want you to have cuttings from these plants. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, I'm so delighted you were able to give them a good home! He would have been so pleased.

I'm happy to say that his cuttings are doing well here and if you have more from pruning I'll certainly take them, thank you.

Jen

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I am always amazed at what people go through every winter. I can not imagine having all those plants indoors all winter long and my cat not thinking he had a big indoor litter box!!

Lonnie, always ready for cuttings of brugs.
    Tally Ho!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I asked the doctor yesterday when he took out my stiches, if I could move my plumeria inside using a dolly, and my right hand. He said no. My plants are at the mercy of mother nature. I check the weather every morning when I get up, so far the coolest was 51. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally, I use to think just like you. Then we had our first freeze since we bought our place in 1995. I remember asking Jack then if it ever froze down there? He said yes we had 7 minutes of freezing weather since he has lived there. He moved down in the 50's. I thought I did not need to worry, never covered anything. Then in Dec 2009, and again Feb 2011 we had freezes. I lost every tropical plant I owned.It has taken me two years, to try to rebuild my yard. If we do not get a freeze this year, I think next spring my yard will be back to normal. I think it will take at least another year for my plumeria to become trees. Gary will retire on 12-15-12. He is already talking about putting in a veg. garden, that has been my dream for the past 6 years. Everything grows down there, except I cannot grow a lemon tree, gardenia, or alvacado tree to save my life. Barbra

• Richard
    11 years ago

My plants are still outside enjoying the outdoors. Im going to see if they can wait another week or two before i bring them in the garage. The weather does not seem to be too bad this week

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I think we will be fine until the first week in December.

Barbra, Hope your shoulder is healing well. Dont worry about your plant. The Coast won't have a frost before Gary Retires.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen & Tally.
    Email me your addresses through GW & I'll send you cuttings. Besure to use CUTTINGS in the subject line. My spam email may grab it and it's easy to id by subject line.
    I have Adora,Emerald Frost, Galaxy, Xena, Inca Sun, Tropical Sunset, NOL, & a NOID Yellow. I can send pics.
    I can get 4-6 8" cuttings in a small priority box.

Lonnie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Lonnie, thanks for the offer! There are still a few nooks in the garage I can fill with more plants, lol. Brugs are great because even though their foliage is soft and large, the deer do leave them alone for the most part. A huge plus around here!

We're getting up to 80 degrees the next couple of days. The temptation to drag some of my plumies outside is great...

Just for fun, a few more pics of some of the last flowers I've enjoyed from 2012:

Night-blooming cereus

Adenium "Santa Claus" (not a great bloomer so far, but quite unique flower)

white brugmansia/angel trumpet

Datura?

Mrs. Jimmy Spangler hibiscus, a terrific hibiscus for this area

And pretty soon, around February, I'll start hunting for these

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Jen

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Thanks Lonnie!

We get a freeze every 4-20 years on average but I still gave up on everything but tropicals years ago. Nothing else can stand the heat and humidity. The problem with tropicals is, they are tropical and quickly outgrow pots. So you just mulch, cover protect what you can and then replant in the summer. Ike killed 90% of the garden and almost every tree on the island. The following years freezes and the drought killed most of the remaining trees and plants, my 30' rubber tree died as did a 22 yo plumeria in my yard and a 50 yo tree 2 blocks away among thousands of other plants on the island. We dug a pond lol!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Tally if you need a rubber tree I will ask Betty if she wants to get rid of the one Albert dug up in my yard. It is hugh. I don't know when she is moving back to Belton, but probably not this this spring. Would you want it and other tropical plants. I don't know if she still has them. Albert loved the coast. I will probably talk to her this weekend. I have not been to the coast since my surgery on Nov 6th. I will ask her, if you are interested. I will store them this witner, and bring to you in the sping at the SA swap. Barbra

• plumygirl
    11 years ago

I have a bunch of rooted plumeria but I see you guys are packing the plumeria in for the winter so, there is also a pretty good assortment of seeds available. Had a ton of pods this year! I can send a list of names if anyone is interested. Just send me a mail and I'll get back in touch.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

really nice collections yall

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm