Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

The finally blooming NOID that started my collection

I say that like I have some vast collection like Laura or Bill or some of the others here but this was the very first one that I got back in the summer of 2010 from home depot for $6. It grew about 2.5 feet this summer and finally bloomed. I like many other NOID owners had my fingers crossed for something other than white but Im happy just to have it bloom. The flower is small and the scent is pleasant a bit sweet and not too strong. Inflo appeared on 10-02 and the first flowers opened yesterday. Looks like I will get 3 branches from it. I have one other NOID that I hope will bloom next spring.

{{gwi:634992}}

whole tree it will need a re-pot this spring. I didnt expect it to get so tall this year.

{{gwi:1223343}}

JJ's scentsation from this summer

{{gwi:1223346}}

JJ's Delightful

{{gwi:1223349}}

I hope to add some WOW plants next year. Ill be looking to get atleast a yellow/gold and maybe some thing like a Bill Moragne or Penang Peach, just about anything thats not white.

Thanks for looking

Mike

Comments (18)

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Nice, Mike! Always good to finally "meet" your flowers. I had three NOIDs I waited for from 2009 until this summer; they turned out white, of course! White is absolutely my least favorite flower color yet white flowers always seem to find me. People always gift me white flowers, too--I can't imagine why. Maybe I seem bland, lol.

You might consider Penang Peach for your next plant. The flowers should bloom pretty showy for you in the hot OK summers and the scent is great. Plus the foliage is very different from what you have pictured above. A real beauty!

My first PP inflo, on a newly rooted plant:

And, of course, here's my favorite yellow/gold:

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are beauties Jandy. I had a chance to get an Inca Gold on sale over the summer but I didnt because the trunk was very crooked and infact I think a branch had broken off. It just didnt look right. Those are definitely on my short list of new plants to consider.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

They are beautiful blooms on your Noid White!!!

Im so glad it does have a sweet fragrance for you..

Congratulations!!!

My first Plumeria that i bought was a Noid...it turned out to be a pink after the second time it bloomed..The first time it looked white. This year. it had the look of My Valentine! It still will be my favorite tree and the biggest tree and the most sentimental tree that i have.

I love Noids, some of them turn out to be the best trees!

Thanks for sharing your blooms with us!!

I hope all is well with you!!

Take care Mike!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura. Maybe my other NOID will surprise me. Im glad it did finally bloom, not just for the flowers but also for new branches. I was afraid it was going to be a 6' tall stick with leaves.LOL

take care
    mike

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

Say Mike, any bloom is a good bloom. Thanks for sharing.

Original Author
    12 years ago

just an update of the whole inflo. sorry for the crappy phone pic. the flowers last about a week before the fall off. it is very lovely to go out to the greenhouse when its cold and see flowers.

{{gwi:1223351}}

mike

• gardenbear1
    12 years ago

I really like the white flowers, I've had no luck with cutting of any with white flowers, I have a few noids of other color and they do great, just waiting to see them bloom

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Mike, love that big inflo with all the space under and between the flowers! Beautiful.

OK Jen, my 2012 mission will be to get you to rescind your avowed dislike of white flowers! I bought Defel and San Germaine this year, hoping they bloom next year so I can post pics...I can't wait to smell the legendary scent of San Germaine or to see the famous "lilac haze" of Defel! C'mon, you don't even like 'em just a little?

Meanwhile, thanks to a mild November, my white (well, it opens more of a lemon chiffon, then fades) noID is going strong! Its flowers are packed tight- the exact opposite of Mike's:

(BTW All in fun, Jen!)
    Greg

• jandey1
    12 years ago

No way, Greg! You will never get me to love white! Okay, maybe rescind my avowed dislike, but never love. I'm too spicy for white, haha!

I'll admit to loving gardenia because their scent is irresistible. Your white with the big yellow center is lovely, too.

Jen

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

LOL I can't possibly argue with a conviction tied so closely to your self-identity, Jen! We can't help who we are, right? ;) By all means...I'll not mention it ever again.

And thanks for the compliment on my noID. I agree that it's quite lovely...and its two inflos are still churning out flowers right now! How nice to have a plumie blooming at this time of year! (You know how they say mutts make the best, most even-keeled dogs, apparently because of the mixed genes? I have no opinion on that OT matter, but I wonder if there's a similar argument to be made for plumie noIDs? This tree has Sherman-tank DNA-- no dormancy in sight.)

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine is still doing good. December 8th and the inflo still looks the same. The fragrance seems to be getting stronger which is a good thing.

Mike

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Mike, you are so lucky to have an inflo this time of year, especially with good fragrance! Mine are just now starting to get yellowing lower leaves and no signs of inflos anywhere. So sad.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Love the 'Scentsational'! I recieved an awesome cutting of this variety from a good friend of mine. I just checked it today and it has rooted. That makes my day! I just hope it blooms for me.

Andrew

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats awesome Andrew!

the blooms on mine fell off shortly after I bought it so I didnt get too long to enjoy them. they are very fragrant so I hope to see more blooms next year. My delightful has 2 seeds pods on it now so that will be my next experiment.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Mike,

That is great news about your Inflo!!! Lets see another pic if you have time!!!

Any bloom this time of the year is such a special treat!!!

Any collection small or large is still a "collection..."

Your collection will be increasing this year, im sure!!!

Do you have a Christmas "wish list?" I think i will have to start a new thread and ask about everyones Santa's wish list for this year...

Could be troube!!! LOL...

Hey Andrew,

Congratulations on the Scentsational!!! : )

Makes it a good day when you have another cutting that has finally rooted..this one has taken its "sweet" time!!!

Pretty work!!!

Have a great day,

Laura

Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura
    here it is as of this morning. Its still going strong and has a few left to open. its still pushing new leaves also.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice NO ID mike! I have a NO ID exactly like it. The leaves and flowers on mine looks exactly the same as yours! It is my favorite out of my NO ID plumerias.
    Awesome bloom pics everyone. Reminds me of the warm days of summer! Not sure why, but Plumerias are just one of those plants that instantly remind me of warm weather.
    -Alex

Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex

Thanks. Sounds like we have sister NOID's.

mike

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County