Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

greenhouse tour

This is the new home for mine and my parents plants. We decided instead of having 2 we would just build one and share. its not much but its working quite well.

here are my seedlings and other plumeria

close up of seedlings

looking southeast, this is the plumeria, pineapple side

pineapples

looking southwest, bananas and citrus

looking northwest, more citrus and a couple desert roses. Ignore the fact that we ran out of paint,LOL

north wall

anyways it just a simple hoop house, 10x12 feet. I used 1" electrical PVC for the hoops, We framed and sided the end walls to help with the prevailing winds in summer and the bitter cold north winds in winter. So far we can keep night time temps around 60 and days 80-90. Of course its already too small so next summer we plan to extend the south end another 12'. Ill probably leave up the south end wall as a divider that way we can climate control the two areas separately.

Thanks

Mike

Comments (17)

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Great photos Mike. Thanks for showing us. So if I may ask about costs. What do you think this project ran you? What was the most expensive piece. I like that you used 1" pvc which seems affordable. My bet is that the electronics to heat it cost the most. I'd love doing this myself, but it's probably costly for me right now.

Thanks,
    Dave

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great job, Mike!!!!
    Lonnie

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey Dave,

we re-purposed a lot of stuff from my previous greenhouse and things I had already. Im and electrician so the pipe, some fittings, straps, and stakes I had. The exhaust fan I made from an old floor fan I had. I wouldnt use anything less than 1" PVC. considering the cost difference between it and 3/4" is minimal and the strength is so much better I would never use anything less. You cant see them but in between the hoops at the peak we used T's and X's to tie them together. That plus the hip boards really makes it sturdy.

The big ticket items we had to buy specifically for this one would be
    plastic-$60 online
    fan louver-$45 lowes
    lumber-about $120-150
    20kbtu NG heater-$50 craiglist lucky score.
    plumber-$160 neighbor
    gravel-$100 local supplier

with these and some of the smaller things we have about $600-$650 in it. Not to bad I think. Its far from pretty compared to some of the wonderful houses I have seen here but it works well for us.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lonny, we must have posted at the same time

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Wow Mike, That is reasonable for me. I might look into it a bit more now.

Thanks,
    Dave

Original Author
    11 years ago

it helped that our natural gas meter is only about 15' away. We put the greenhouse that close on purpose to save the plumber cost. Had it been any further we may have just stuck to electric with a propane back up.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Great work, Mike! Looks very sturdy. And you made yourself a little sitting area to retreat to when you want to imagine yourself in the tropics, lol.

Your adenium seems to be unaware winter's on its way.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jandy

that one and the one here at my office just keep going. The one here at work hasnt seen the sun in about a month and still has every leaf on it and a bloom! I guess it must be happy. My moms had a seed pod open last week and she was in heaven planting the seeds.

mike

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Set up looks great! You can retreat in there when the weather is cold to spend time with your plants and also keep warm ;) good to see you have some pinapples bananas citrus and desert roses too :) If only i had a banana tree and then i would have the same :) might be the next plant i go get :P

Sarah

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Is it just me or is having a chair, minibar, pots and pans in your greenhouse about perfect?

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,
    that NG heater looks like a 'no vent' heater, similar to the one I have. Have you tested it? How well does it work?

George

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sarah, It is wonderful to go out when it cold.

K, chairs are a must im opinion. I will have to get more adult beverages out there, LOL

George,
    so far it seems to be working great. We were a bit concerned about not having enough fresh air but seems to be fine. Its a 20k BTU with thermostat. I wish the stat was more precise but with a few days of tinkering we are able to get it to kick on at the temps we want.

mike

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,
    be careful with that heater. Mine are the same brand and they do not work very well. You really do not run out of oxygen. The oxygen depletion sensor kicks in and cuts off the heater. Watch out when it is below freezing outside. Mine always cutoff in the middle of the night when it is below freezing. I use electric heaters instead. I turn on those heaters to supply extra heat when it is freezing and when they cut off it is OK because the electric heaters keep the greenhouses from freezing. I have read of many people having the same problems with those. So be careful. You do not want to end up with a greenhouse full of frozen plants.

George

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks George. We have an electric heater setup up to come on at 50 degrees as a back up. Hopefully we won't need it.
    Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Mike!!!! I am in shock and so this is where you have been hiding!

I don't know how to put into words how impressed I am with what you have done pal! Bravo! Look at what we do for our plants, right?

Mike, is that the Fafard mix you used in your Plumeria pots? It looks nice and open. What mix is that and do you like it? I am very proud of you buddy and in fact, I wonder if you like that set-up better than the one you had at your other home?

Fantastic Mike:-)))))

MIke

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike. Thanks for the kind words. It is a wonderful place to retreat to and de-stress. Its about 3 times the size of my old one and its already too small LOL. That is the fafard. Its actually 5 parts fafard 52 and 1 part coarse perlite. So far it works great. Holds just enough for our extreme heat but still drains great.

Mike

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

nice setup Mike.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor