Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria doesn't go dormant?

Posted by love2gardennc z7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 9:37

I have a seed grown plumeria, several years old and 5ft tall that has never gone into dormancy. It has also never bloomed so I am wondering if they two items are related. I live in zone 7b and have the potted plumeria out on the yard during the summer but move it to my GH when frost/freeze time comes. The greenhouse is kept at about 40 degrees at night. I do have another seed grown one same size that blooms every year.
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria doesn't go dormant?

It can take a few years for seedlings too bloom and some may be very reluctant to bloom so that aspect may not be too unusual... luck of the draw with seedlings.

If it is several years old and 5 feet tall I'm a little surprised that it doesn't go dormant esp. with 40 degree temps. Depending on what the blooms end up looking like, that could be a desirable cultivar. Does it drop some of its leaves, or does it keep most all of them?

o

It loses single leaves as the plant grows but it never 'molts' drops many leaves at one time. It really does not change it's habits from spring to winter. The seeds were bought on Ebay from barry-ng and were from a pendulous pink parent.
Just so you know I have two of these plants (same seed lot) both in the 5 ft range and with several leafy points/tips (don't know what you call the tips).

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 20:09

Could it be a Singapore variety? They don't always go
dormant.

Are the leaf tips kind of rounded or kind of pointy?

Rounded leaves are usually Singapores.

o

There is a difference between the leave on the bloomer and the non bloomer.

o

Here's the crazy thing about plumeria: they have a huge number of genes--more than humans, I'm told--so the potential number of different combinations you can get from seedlings is also huge.

Just like human children, plumeria seedlings can either strongly resemble their parents and siblings, or can be completely different from them. Your seedling siblings are displaying just that.

I wouldn't worry about the not-dormant one. The blooming will happen when it's ready, which could still be a few more years. They usually take between two and six years under good growing conditions to reach blooming age, but have been known to occasionally take much longer, especially if their growing seasons are shorter than what they'd get in the tropics.

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 15:59

That non-bloomer sure looks like a Singapore to me.

That rounded leaf is a dead giveaway.

That first bloom can take quite a while.

I'd say that, overall, you're nothing to worry about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here