Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Panicked yet?

jandey1
9 years ago

Here comes the Polar Vortex! Anyone else out there being taken by surprise with this early cold front?

For all the newbies out there, please explain what you're doing to get your plants ready for the winter. And please include where you are.

I'm in Central Texas and we'll probably hit right at freezing temps on Thursday night. I'm bringing any plumerias that were rooted after 2012 into the house or garage. The fussier rainbows and reds or the rare ones are in the house in their original pots.

The bigger ones or those I know are more cold tolerant go into the unheated attached garage. They are set up on stacked cedar fence pickets so they're off the cold concrete.

Many of these were dug up out of the ground and put into temp pots or are gang-stored in a black plastic trash bag that gets set into a trash bin with mulch or rags at the bottom. I had good luck with this method for the older rooted plants and seedlings last year and lost not one tip to frost this way. But they need to be larger woodier plumies, not the newly rooted ones!

There are also about 15 older seedlings and big plants I'll leave in the ground or on the south side of the house and just cover with an old blanket or frost cloth. But again, they are woodier and I know from last winter that they can take a bit more cold than some of my others. They'll be brought into the garage for good when the forecast calls for below freezing.

Keep warm, everyone!

Comments (15)

• kingbingo
    9 years ago

Yeah nothing like bare-rooting and cramming 100 trees into the shop last minute. At least I was able to cut all the leaves off Sunday and kill fireants in the pots. It will probably be 90 degrees again by next week...

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't that the most frustrating thing of all? We know next week it'll be beautiful and we'll be thinking of all the extra growing time we could be giving them!

I think I might be up to about 100 plants too, if I count all the desert roses and seedlings. But who's counting? Thankfully not my husband ;)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

No panic. Just accelerated my winter plan. As long as the cloud deck stays nice and low we won't go below 40 at my house.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

dang....clouds cleared out.

• rox146
    9 years ago

thinking of all you guys....WOW!!!!! Keeping good thoughts, roxanne ( BTW....it is still warm here and the water is so warm that a Hammer Head was pursuing guys that dove in at the Channel Islands)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Jen.. Waiting for the freeze this weekend.... 70 tomorrow then it will drop 30-40 degrees.. Yikes !!!

I'm all in , thank goodness!!!

Good luck to everyone!!

Love to hear about what others are doing as well...

Roxanne.. I saw that on the news tonight. OMG. It was aggressive.... Or just curious.. Lol..

Have a great night!!

Laura

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Hello everyone!

I still have my few plants outside. I will bring them in tomorrow. The low is supposed to be 34. And then back to 70 on Friday and Sat. So I might take them in and out. I want to keep my seedlings under lights but I also want to start more seed! The struggle.

Mark

• pat9240
    9 years ago

Yes, I panicked and brought my only two plants inside. I sat them near the window. They were doing fine until this morning I noticed the branches on one of them is starting to wrinkle. I thought you were not to water when they were going dormant. What should I do?

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat, if they still have a lot of leaves--and many of mine are very lush and leafy still--then they may need a little water.

It's really when they sit in cold, soggy soil with no foliage to take the water up to that they rot.

• pat9240
    9 years ago

Jandey,they both had lots of leaves so I cut all of them off this morning. I did give them a little drink but not much. I do have some seedlings that I am keeping under a grow light. Is this the correct thing for them?

• elucas101
    9 years ago

I'll admit it, yes, I panicked. I hadn't really been paying attention to the forecast (I should know better but I usually just get fooled anyway) and I also put off cleaning out the garage, thinking I had another week or two.

SO...after I got home from work Monday and Tuesday I spent about 2.5 hours each day cramming plumeria into any available space in our house. (I even had help for half of the 2nd day and it still took that long) No time to do anything but cram - I had to just get them in and I will have to arrange them later. We have large amounts of plumeria in our study, garage, entryway, living room and dining room.

I don't have enough blankets to cover any decent amount of plants so to be safe, they just all had to come inside.

Unfortunately I had also watered them on Sunday so most are pretty wet. I will wait as long as I can to cut the leaves, hoping some of the moisture will absorb. There's not really much else I can do with that many plants.

I realized a couple things during this process. I have waaaaaay too many seedlings and I need that big tree dolly from Northern Tool. LOL.

This post was edited by elucas101 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 12:04

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

Laura- I can relate. It was 80 today in Cali and tomorrow it is expected to plunge to 79. LOL have to tease you. Mine have hardly dropped any leaves- just a few varieties. Most everything else is blooming away especially psycho and my JL Pink and White. Take care. :-)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

All but my in-ground Samoan Fluff are under cover in the greenhouse or garage. Tomorrow I will wrap Samoan Fluff in Christmas lights and cover with blankets.

• surfbreeze
    9 years ago

This sucks. I brought some Desert Rose in the house and put cut the leaves on my plumerias and so far just have them under the house (I am up on pilings) but they say close to freezing by Friday night even here on the coast. So will get a little more aggressive after work tomorrow night.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat, you should be fine with that plan. I had always put grow lights on my baby seedlings thru winter.