Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Information to share!

honeybunny2 Fox
11 years ago

This weekend we started to move the plumeria plants for storage. My son lifted them up from the ground and moved them just outside the carport door. My husband has not put the lights inside the carport yet, he thinks we have 2 to 3 weeks before we get cold weather. What I have to share is something that K said in one of his postings. I have 12 plants in 5 gallon blue plastic pots, the rim is really wide on these pots, one of Lowes clearance items last winter. The rest of the plants are all in 5 gallon nursery black pots. I got all my plants early last spring, planted them at the same time then sunk the pots in the ground. The plants planted in the blue pots with the wide rim, are at least 2 ft taller than the ones planted in black nursery pots. Whow, what a diffrence. I had no idea, until they were out of the ground, its crazy to see the diffrence in height on these plants. They are all planted in the same flowerbed, so it has to be the pots that made a diffrence. K posted he was going to plant in wide rimed pots, I don't know where got that information, but it is good information. I will try and get Gary to take a picture, next time we go, so I can show you at our next meeting. The diffrence is unbelievable. The end of Feb, I will be able to lift my arm, right now I have to lift my left arm with my right arm and put on the keyboard, so I can type. Barbra

Comments (17)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i guess more feeder roots near the surface.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

That makes sense. I've been looking everywhere for pots that are shorter and wider but they're not easy to find, and those that are low often narrow again at the top so you'd have to cut your root ball out to re-pot.

It's been so warm out except for a couple nights in the low 40's (maybe 38 at the lowest) that I could've left all my plumies out all this time. Gonna get up to the 80's again this weekend.

Barbra, hope your shoulder is doing much better this week!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jen, I just got back from therapy and I feel great. Gary will close in the carport with plastic and hang the lights this weekend. I will go down when we get a freeze warning and have them moved inside. Just to let you know the pots I got with the wide rim at the top. I got them for 90% off at Lowes. I noticed the blue pots on the very top shelf were very dusty, the beige ones on the lower level were not. They were the same pots but diffrent colors. I had the man get me one of the blue ones, took it and the beige one to the register, for a price check. The blue pots were marked down 90% the beige ones were regular price. I bought all 12 of the blue ones. I have found alot of stuff at Lowes that way. Of course I do not have a little one to chase around and have tons of time since I am retired. Barbra

• Richard
    11 years ago

my plants are still enjoying the outdoors I have plans to move them in this weekend

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great info Barbra.
    I'll have to be on the look out for those pots and give it a try.
    I also plan to plunge pots this next year too.
    Lonnie

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I'm a believer in the squat pot method. They are hard to find but I think its worth it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Walley did you ever get to go to Corpus and look at those plants?

Lonnie, you will not believe the diffrence in your plants when you plunge the pots. They do not get as dry, and grow much faster. Next year most of my plants will be planted in the ground. If you can get some of that turface from John Deer supply, it really helps, and not only with plumeria. I am growning plants I never could before. Gary is going to retire Dec 14th, and put in a veg. garden at the coast. He said he is going to till bags of turface into the soil to help retain moisture. He has seen what a diffrence it has made with my plants. I can't explain, but it does works. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Jen and Barbra,
    I use mostly squat pots (wide and short) for my plumerias. Plumerias, both grown from cuttings and grafted on seedlings, have spreading roots and are much happier in squat pots rather than standard pots. The squat pots I use are made by Haviland and I get them through amleonard.com. They are a little pricey but that is the only place I find them. I am going to publish an article in the January Plumeria Potpourri about why we should be using squat pots instead of standard pots for plumerias with lots of pictures.

George

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hey Barbra,
    take some pictures of the ones in squat pots and the ones in standard pots side by side and send me. I will include them in my article.
    George

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George, I will have Gary take pictures. When do you need them? I am unable to take picutres for another 2 months, we did not go down this weekend. I over worked my shoulder, and am laying on a heating pad. I do want everyone to see, the diffrence. I love how everyone shares on this forum. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Barbra,
    I need them over the next two weeks. I got to submit the article by mid December. Since you cannot do it for two months do not worry about it. I got plenty of pictures of root systems that show the difference. Thanks and I hope you feel better. Get well.
    George

• jandey1
    11 years ago

George, thanks for the link and manufacturer tips. They do have a good selection of squat pots.

Barbra, I've been dragging the little one all over to find clearance pots, though I tell him it's so he can look at the Christmas trees ;) Hope your shoulder is improving a little every day! It's wonderful that your husband is retiring soon--congratulations!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George I am sorry, the earliest I can have the pictures taken will be 12-14th. I cannot lift my left arm, so Gary has to take the pictures. He did not go down this weekend as planned, he stayed and took care of me. He is such a great husband. I don't think all those football games had anything to do with his decision. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    that will be OK. I will have the article ready and add the picture with a few sentences. E-mail me the pictures to ghadjigeorge@comcast.net. Also, give me your full name in the E-mail so I can give you credit.

Thanks,
    George

• Richard
    11 years ago

My plants are officially in the garage for winter. I noticed we are going to get into the 30s by sunday or monday. No I never checked out those plants. I figured I would wait.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

George we are going to drive down tomorrow, I will get the pictures for you Saturday, and send them to you on Sunday when we get back. I have not been down since Nov 25th. All my plants are sitting in front of the carpot, I hope there still there when we get there. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Thanks Barbra

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures