Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Thinning the heard

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

I am making my list of plants to keep next year. Some plants I just purchased and have not seen bloom. I cannot find pictures or any information on them. I bought theses from German at the PSA sale, he said they had beautiful blooms. He said Fabolous was just unbelievable, so I bought them. Does anyone have pictures, or know where I find information on J.L. Hot Pink, or Fabolous? I really don't want to wait until they bloom, I need to get back down to 30 plants. Right now I am at 32. I plan to sell over 30 of them in the spring. Barbra

Comments (15)

• rox146
    10 years ago

honeybunny, I have been trying to thin the herd for 2 years now and have gone from 150 to 178...something is not working here. roxanne

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am determined to size down to at least 32. I am going to get rid of plants that have beautiful blooms, but only produce a few blooms. I love the bloomers! Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Fair chance of fantastic blooms or a fantastic chance of fair blooms. quite the quandry.

I''l be joining Barbra in her liquidation sale with mostly rooted cuttings and seeds. I think the target date is the 3rd Sunday in May in Rockport, TX.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Darn, wish I lived closer!

• astrl
    10 years ago

178? And I thought *I* had a lot to keep up with. LOL

My biggest downfall is that I added a lot more this year with an entire crop of seedlings. I must resist planting seeds from future seed pods. :)

astrl

• rox146
    10 years ago

oh heck...I was not counting my new sprouted seedlings... :-)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Yeah, Rox, this was my year to really thin down and I went from 50-something to mumble mumble (a lot more). People around here are so generous, how can I say no? Really, y'all need to be stingier! :P

We'll be having a healthy named plumeria blowout sale next spring. Barbra, I'm trying hard to get down to 30 also. It's a very tight list and a whole lot of beautiful plants won't make it because of the very reason you said: not blooming enough.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Ooooooh man! I wish I lived closer, sounds like lots of good stuff!

Mark

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Barbra,
    Fabulous as sold by MPG some years back. For whatever reason they stopped selling it. It is a large rainbow flower, no petal overlap, and deep petal re-curve back.

George

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mark, if you can borrow a truck it would be worth the drive for you, lol. If you have the room and sun in your yard you'll do well with them.
    Most of mine just don't get enough sun in my yard to perform their best, and until I can buy some serious acreage most of mine will always be held back by my small yard and big trees. These would do better in CA or in the Houston area.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I don`t even bother trying to thin the herd. No point in lying to myself, with over 110 and not counting seedlings I just wonder if Becky got rid of hers or has moved them to the greenhouse yet....I can run to LaMarque on Thursday when I`m off.....

Psst, you know I am close to Houston and my climate is even better for the plumeria. I`ll be in San Antonio this spring, in a truck or SUV, for the plant swap lol!
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Tally, just make a wish list and we"ll see if have what you want!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Jen, I could totally get a truck! HAHA. I would really have to plan the weekend out tho.

I have tons of room here, I will see what happens!

Thanks!!

Mark

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George, German told me it was beautiful. Is the flower as pretty as J.L. Elizabeth Thornton Rainbow? I also bought that from him, he gave us a bloom to take home. The fragrance was wonderful, K used it as an air freshener on our way home from the PSA Sale. Does Fabolous have a fragrance? I hate not being able to find out anything about it. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Well, I am skipping the psa sale this year and just going to Rockport, it will be an excuse to drive down the coast. I have a cousin in Rockport.

Barb, when is the spring swap in SA? I need to request time off.

Of course, if they are working on the house all bets are off because I will have to dig and move EVERYTHING within 5` of the house and we`ll have to move out for 3 months.
    Tally Ho!