Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuat80

Addicted Newbie

Joshuat80
12 years ago

Well I just want to introduce myself to the forums for the most part and tell a little about my self.

I am 31 and just really starting out with Plumerias. I got an itch for plant care and maintenance after i got out the military as a way of keeping me relaxed and serene.

Well about a 8 mths ago i picked up my first Desert Rose from Walmart and the horror began.I noticed after a few mths of having the Desert rose that i had a seed pod on it, after hours of reading up , i knew it could take 3 to 6 mths depending on weather for it to ripen but that still did not keep me from coming home from work everyday and checking to see if it busted open. With that slight addiction branched a new one and that was reading the forums and looking at everything that had to do Desert Roses. Which made me run up onto Plumerias.

Well with my lack of patience i managed to buy a few packs of Desert Rose seeds as well as Plumeria seeds and a couple of rooted cuttings from BBB. I now have about 12 to 15 Desert Rose seedlings, about 5 Plumeria seedlings with about 30 desert rose seeds prepped and waiting to sprout and a good 20 Plumeria seeds prepped and ready to sprout as well.

I am using my fish tank as a terrarium for some of the seedlings and my Wifes counter space with a grow light over it.( she is very happy about that).

All i want to say is thanks to everyone on this forum because i have read probably 20 pages of info. and i am completely addicted and i blame all of you lol.

I will be posting pictures here shortly once i get them all organized and sprouted. I just hope that they all do good in the house till after the winter, which they should.

Comments (55)

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jandey, we will see about the cheaper than drugs part later cause now i am thinking really hard about a greenhouse and i really do not have the property for that. be bad if i decide to buy a new house so i can have more plants....

Ok i am trying a couple of methods to find the best possible germination rate.

First round was plant them in my aquarium no soaking just stick them in the the dirt , and keep moist these where fresh seeds and i got about 60 - 70% return. not great bad.
    they soil in my aquarium has a lot of peat which is bad, but for germination i felt good, once they got to about 1 to 2 inches tall i pulled them out of the aquarium and put them in plastic bathroom cups with a more woody not as dense soil to prevent dampening off actually did that today.
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/vh5jzp.jpg[/IMG]

My second method i soaked the seeds in a cup till the seeds sank then i got a Tupperware bowl (i stole from the wife ) Shhhh.... put a wet paper towel in the bottom of the bowl( i did not wring out the towel) then sprinkled it on the towel and covered with plastic wrap and put it under the light in my aquarium. it has been 2 days and they are already starting to set out roots. also these seeds are from Thailand and no where near as fresh as the first batch.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/17w96c.jpg[/IMG]

Seedlings desert rose first batch

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2s6o56r.jpg[/IMG]

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry about the grammar and spelling i did not save my changes also i suck a pics and here is the rest of the post that got cut off, i will get better at this. i hope...

My personal opinion as of right now, i like the wet paper towel method, if you would like i can give you a update with better pics in a week or so, and let you be the judge.
    Oh and yes i did all this with grow lights on the aquarium a good window sill with the weather i am sure most of us are having should do just as good.

I am a beginner this is what i did, i know i broke a few cardinal rules here or there but i am a rule breaker. If anyone else would like to chime in please do so, and i how this helps

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

WHen you know the Fed Ex man/woman by name, That is a sign that you have ..."A NEW FRIEND..." LOL!!!

I know thst Peg has a way with DR seeds.. Thanks Peg!!!
    You are the best!!! : )

Joshua,

Sounds like you have it down too! Good luck with your seeds... We wont tell your DW about the dishes .. : )

Jen,

I also have to watch for the mailman ringing the doorbell!

Way to funny, because this summer my DH found a box in the recycle bin..all i heard was..."Laura...." When he finally got my attention, i just said .."oh, I dont remember what was in there..." LOL...

You are more than welcome... : )

I hope they work out for you!!

They are really fresh too! Remember which one they came from..LOL "the DR with the attitude..." LOL!!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

{{gwi:3228}}

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Yay! She's my favorite of your DRs, Laura!

Thank you, Peg and Joshua, for the germinating advice. I use the wet paper towel method with plumies and add a little hydrogen peroxide to the soaking water to kill off fungus. I'll pot the soaked seeds in a less peaty mix than I use for my plumeria seeds then Addiction #2 will be well under way.

Joshua, I think all of us have shopped for bigger homes/lots since we began collecting! Mature plumies take up way more room than DRs! I'm already planning for a solarium (sunny breakfast room, if hubby asks) for my next house. Greenhouse will be the intermediate step, I'm sure.

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did not even think about hydrogen peroxide that is a good idea, what do you do use a cap full per cup of water?

• jandey1
    12 years ago

I use a good splash in a pint of water, so a capful per cup is probably about right. Also good for the first few seedling waterings as the roots like the extra oxygenation. I think they used to call it "Spanish water".

• plumygirl
    12 years ago

I think the follow-up posted by SFLGPlume sums it up the best! Trust me, the addiction has just begun, but it is loads of fun! Plumeria are amazing and no matter how long you have had them, they keep teaching you more. ENJOY!!

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to show yall an update of my seedlings (Desert rose) that were started on the 11th of Nov.
    Waiting on the plumeria they seem to be a bit more stubborn.

• Minderella
    12 years ago

That looks good to me Joshuat80.

12 years ago

Looking good!!!!

Whooo HOO!

Way to go Joshua!!!

Congratulations!!!

: )

Laura in VB

• Kenny
    12 years ago

I'm a newbie to plumerias too! My addiction also began with a desert rose. I was looking for a good house plant to keep indoors during the winter months. After researching for desert rose care, I found out it's related to the plumeria. That brought me back to the time when I was little and living in Asia, there was a giant plumeria tree not too far from our house.

I then did some more research on plumerias and learned that with the right amount of care, they can be grown in pots just about anywhere there is warm weather. Now fast forward 2 months later, I have 11 plumeria plants growing in my sun room (2 are rooting). I'm looking forward to bringing them outside and watch them flourish next spring.

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to do a plumeria update, i am so excited and wanted to show everyone.

Vera Cruz Rose

And these next are from seeds i bought off ebay, supposed to be Orange Karasin

And more on the way

I am currently making my swap over to my potting mix, i could not find the ingredients everyone else seems to be using but it should work.
    5 parts Napa oil dry part #8822
    1 part course masonry or construction sand
    1 part pine bark fine, or soil conditioner
    I learned from this site that the oil dry works great to replace the Turface MVP.
    The sand to replace chicken grit, i know it is a poor substitute, but best choice i had.
    The pine bark fine was actually easy to get.

If anyone had any Questions or comments please send them, if i can help i will and please critique if i am doing something wrong i am still learning.

Oh and i like putting the pine bark fines at the top of the pots , makes it look better and i saw no harm done since it is above the root level.

• Minderella
    12 years ago

How long has your cutting been growing? I have 2 cuttings started about 3 weeks ago. I hope they grow.

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was a rooted cutting, and about a mth and a half now since i have planted it. i have another cutting and i am getting nothing from it yet. Just be patient and you should see something soon.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Joshua, those are a couple of nice varieties. I have VCR seedlings and they are robust, fast-growers. Orange Karasin is aka Som Karasin, aka, Penang Peach and one of the best seed parents around. PP is the pod parent of several great varieties like J105, California Sunset, Musk Rainbow and Elsie. That seedling will be a keeper.

I'll be curious to see how the Napa stuff works out for you.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Jen

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As long as they do not die i will be a happy camper lol

12 years ago

Hey Joshua,

I was wondering if you were using the 5-1-1 mix and replacing some of the ingredients..

The original recipe for the 5-1-1- is..

5 parts Fine Bark Fines
    1 part Sphagnum peat
    1-2 parts perlite

i see that you used 5 parts Napa oil dry # 8822 and yes that is a good substitute for Turface, but i wanted to see what you were trying to duplicate..

5-1-1 or the Gritty 1-1-1 the gritty uses the turface..I was just wondering if i may have not understood you using 5 parts of the napa oil dry?

If that is what you are using to sprout the seedling and it is working..Thats great, but i do wonder how it will work on your cuttings..

Wanted to ask you and be sure that i was reading correctly!!!

Your cuttings look great and if this works for you im very happy..they look great!!!

I didnt want you to be confusing the two different types of mixes. The Gritty Mix is...

1 part Screened Pine Bark Fines..or Fir Bark (1/8 to 1/4 in)
    1 part screened Turface ( 0r some use Napa Oil dry #8822)

1 part crushed granigrit or Cherrystone #2

1 tbsp gypsum per gallon of soil

CRF ( Osomocote)

Sometimes when i just make a fast draining mix for some, i will add a scoop full of this and that. But if you were trying to follow the 5-1-1 recipe.. i think the 5 parts of Napa may be to much.

Hope this helps...

Laura in VB

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it is probably a good thing that i do not have a whole lot, yes it does seem that i got confused between the 2 mixes. My mix will retain slightly more water, but will have to be fine till i re-pot in the spring time(If i re-pot the cutting again right now, i am worried about shock). just gonna have to keep a watchful eye on watering.
    I was trying to replicate the Gritty mix, and i think that i read something on your post and got them confused. it is no biggy. only thing i do not like is the sand, even though it is course, it is still small. so i am thinking i will fix it later once i can find a good local place around here to replace the sand. it is alot better than what i originally had it all potted in. and thanks Laura for letting me know about my error.

The problem with being obsessed as i am, and reading everything i can, is sometimes stuff like this happens.
    Thank you again Laura and any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 years ago

Hey Joshua,

These babies are so much fun to watch as they grow...You are learning as we all are!!

I would let them be as well, just watch the watering on you new babies!!!

Then come spring, you can see how they react to your mix and leave them or you can change them to a different mix.

The good news for you is that you are in a zone 9 so they will do fine until spring.

I also agree with you about the sand, when i first started with these babies..I did use sand in my mix. We think we are doing the right thing, so dont worry. You can fix that later this spring. You are right about changing now...I would wait too!

Reading up on everything is a good thing and i have had to reread things several times..take notes etc!! : )

So welcome to the crazy world of the Plumeria obsession!!!

LOL..we all have it, so we all understand!!

You are more than welcome, Joshua..when i read about the Napa Dry, I just wanted to ask if I was reading this correctly.

The cuttings look great and I am so pleased about your choice in cuttings.

Jen is correct about the seedlings!! You will have some beauties!!!

Congratualtions!!!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

12 years ago

OH...If I forgot to mention something..I hope others will chime in and give their opinion.

Please feel free to add anything...Im not an expert by any means...so if others can give their opinions that would be wonderful!!!

Like I said, we are all learing...

Thanks!!!

Laura in VB

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Attack Gold is next on my list but i am waiting till about march to order it. Laura would you happen to know who sells Plumeria cuttings with an inflo i am hitting a dead end on finding them. I want to have at least one plumeria this year that i can get to flower. i am patient but just one lol... i say that, but you give me a vender and i might have 5 lol... anyways thanks for all your help.

12 years ago

Hi Joshua,

It sure would be nice to be able to have blooms all year long!!!

I certainly hear you wants and desires with seeing blooms this winter!!

The name "Attack Gold" sounds interesting!!! : ) DO you possibly mean "Aztec Gold?" I havent heard of the other...Aztec Gold is a very beautiful large yellow bloom and has a very strong fragrance of "georgia peaches" I especially think that the flowers last a long time on this particular variety. I really like this one, its one of my favorites!!!

When you finally have an inflo bloom for you it is the most unbelievable feeling as we tend to these trees for several years before some of us see inflos. That is why we get so excited to finally see the treasure at the end of the long hunt!!! It is a reward to see these grow and finally show us that we have done well in growing these rare trees!!!

It does take patience to see the just reward from our trees and i really do understand that you want to see some blooms... Trying to order a cutting with an inflo will be tricky, but ordering a rooted tree with an inflo could be a possibility. However, with shipping and the cold temps could have a negative effect on the inflo staying on the tree and not aborting.

I dont want to dissapoint you in your search, but you will have better luck finding something in the spring with an inflo. You could always call Florida COlors and talk to Carol or Luc and see if they have anything that they can ship, but remember that they can't guarrantee that it will stay on or even bloom for you.

Good Luck in your search..keep looking!!!

Some of my inflos that i have had push late this fall have either stalled or have not produced at all.

I hope this helps!! : )

Take care Joshua,

Laura

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Attack Gold is the name i got from eBay, they do look alot like the Aztec gold.
    also i was reading today that keeping an inflo on a cutting decreases the chance of survival so bah, guess i will have to be patient lol.

I am waiting till spring before i do any more cutting orders, seeds on the other hand are a different story.

Thanks again Laura.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Attack Gold--that's priceless! Someone's spell check went overboard. If you like AG, you might check out Florida Colors' Aztec Peach, which I believe is supposed to be even better.

We all hunt for plants with inflos in the spring. Definitely call or email and the grower will usually tell you if they have what you want with inflos coming. I got a cutting with inflo last fall that never rooted for me, so that's always a risk this time of year.

A word about ebay for newbies: Please try to stay with domestic sellers. Overseas plumeria growers put up some tempting deals but the shipping and misrepresentations are a big problem for lots of buyers. There are a few excellent American sellers that keep a good selection of plants for 9-10 months out of the year.

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cuttings i ordered from Brads Buds and blooms, my seeds i got off ebay... From now on though i was planning on buying from BBB. I just did not know about them when i started doing this.

I do scan eBay alot, and even though there are alot of scammers on there the 800 seeds of 16 different varieties for 50 bucks makes it really tempting.

I love doing it by seeds it is like raising your own babies. the only down fall to seedlings is that you do not always get the parent plant color but the upside is a slim chance at a new bred.... really slim chance but awe well.

I will have a better grasp at the names here shortly, for about a little over a mth into this i am catching on and knock on wood no deaths yet. I am already doing research on grafting because i want a plumeria with several different colors on it.

The Aztec Peach is actually quite beautiful and is on the list ... but the Aztec gold is my next buy no matter what since i have seen i can not take my eyes off it.

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Hey everyone-

I have to laugh reading these posts. I have been fortunate enough to have been able to visit Thailand. It is a BEAUTIFUL country and its people are the loveliest, kindest people on the planet. But, they do have an endearing way of messing up the English language- somewhere I still have a tourist flyer advertising boating day trips around Phuket (AMAZING scenery there, btw) that has a photo of a young tourist couple climbing into a speedboat with a caption that says: "Gasoline so no smoking". I also have a pic from that trip of me standing next to a sign on a lovely beach that says "don't making a fire".

I too have seen "Attack Gold" on eBay and it cracks me up, because I'm sure it's some Thai grower's version of "Aztec Gold." I sometimes entertain myself by looking through the names of the plumeria that the Thai growers are selling on eBay. My current favorite? "I Will Survive" LOL priceless!

Anyway...to get on point, finally: Joshua, Aztec Gold is a gorgeous tree- it's fairly common down here in South Florida and even though I already own one, whenever I see one around town I always pull the car over, get out and take a minute to admire it. Also, its cuttings are super-easy to root...but I would add that in my experience, inflos/flowers from rooting cuttings are generally underwhelming. Also, in my experience, even rooted plants that have inflos will generally drop them after they arrive at your house through the mail. It's frustrating. The second year is when you'll start to get flowers that will truly get you psyched.

Greg

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the Aztec gold has to be one of my favorites looking at the pictures, i am sure my favorites will change as i get more and see more...
    I figured i would try to take a short cut, but i have given up on it, unless i get lucky enough to find them at the local nursery. I have talked to them about it, they only get like a dozen and can never keep it in stock...
    I will just do it the hard way , i enjoy it so that is all that matters. It is also easier to justify the 40 to 50 plus seedlings i already have to the DW if there are plenty of pretty blooms lol.

Josh

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Curious if anyone knows how long the napa dry will maintain integrity in a potting mix? (i.e. before it degrades back into clay due to constant moisture exposure or if that is even a problem.)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Not all calcined DE products are created equal. Some are fired at temperatures too low for them to remain stable in potting media. To test, half fill a plastic cup with the calcined DE or calcined clay product & freeze overnight. If it still maintains its structural integrity after thawing, it's fine in container media - with the additional proviso that it contains no perfumes or other phytotoxic additives.

You can skip the test if you're using NAPA part #8822 ..... it's stable.

Al

• Ament
    12 years ago

Joshua,

If you take the time to look through the Plumie forums, you will find a few Lovely postings of Laura's beautiful Desert Rose pictures. I just LOVE them! LoL She's got some gorgeous ones! =) One of them reminds me of the Harry Potter Mandrakes. Haha! One day, I will have a few of these lovely plants. I'm going to try and grow these lovely beautiful most interesting plants. =)

Good Luck with your new addiction!

And for whom ever it was that called it an Eye Allergy. I just laughed so much over that! I know a couple of people with that particular affliction!

~Tina

P.S. Laura, if you could, would you repost that particular DR that I love? The one with the belly? LOL

12 years ago

Hi Tina,

I would be more than happy to do that for you!!!

The "Mandrake DR" will be on a new thread...Just for you!!!

: )

Laura

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

This forum has made me feel much better about this sudden addiction- thank you all! I am currently staring at my 3 trees which I drag inside nightly (to my bedroom) despite being in SD so they are probably just fine outside. (Yes, I have a husband that puts up with this, haven't caught the rolling eyes just yet)

Anyway, I am attending the Plumeria cutting sale Easter Weekend, but want/need to grow plumeria from scratch. It will be amazing. I have been overwhelmed with the fast rate which they grow, I literally analyze them daily and certainly every night after dragging them into my bedroom. lol. Just wanted to say hello! I am a 31 year old mom, and these plants have given me a welcomed break from thinking about/worrying about/reading about my baby.

So thanks for making me feel at home. Looking forward to obtaining some seeds- once I figure out why I should spend money on a particular seed from a certain plumeria that may not look at all like it? And finally, while at Jungle Jacks last weekend I saw a CA Sunset with a seed pod, actually a few. Should I have purchased that plant? Is that rare?

Best to all of you, glad to have a home here. :o)

Wendy

12 years ago

Hi Wendy!!

Probably 99% of us are rolling over hearing about the California Sunset with a seedpod on it. That would have been in my cart for sure!! Just being able to visit JJ's is such a treat for anyone...

Enjoy the sale over Easter weekend, i wish i could be there to see all of the wonderful cuttings that will be for sale!

Nice to see you here!!

Take care,

Laura

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

My plants are hiding out from the rain- spoiled.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Wendy, you sure got a good start with JJ's plants. I hear wonderful things about them. Which varieties do you have there?

I'm with Laura: that CA Sunset would've been in my cart, along with a couple dozen others! CA Sunset is a seedling of Penang Peach and supposedly a good bloomer.

If you're looking for seeds to try out, you can't go wrong with Penang Peach. It's well-known for making superior seedlings, even if they look nothing like the parent. If you want something like the parent your best bet is to get white, yellow or pink seeds. Reds and especially rainbows will be more likely to produce varied seedlings.

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Jandey-
    I wish I could say all three were from JJ's, but sadly only the middle one is, and she is an Inca Gold. From browsing the forums and looking at photos I fell in love with the Inca Gold, such an amazing color. The other two I am sad to say I purchased from a guy I found on Craigslist, DR's Palms & Plumeria's. I probably should have spent the money at JJ's, but I was weary of the "sticker shock" so many people refer to. If you'll look at the plumie on the left which has a blunt end, 2 days after buying it I noticed the tip was completely rotten. How does that happen, anyway? So I cut it at a 45* angle'ish and wonder will anything every grow from that? Anyway they are both noids, but I love them. :o)DR seemed legitimate, beautiful greenhouse full of seedlings and rooted cuttings, but actually when I pulled into JJ's he was pulling out, perhaps he is just a resaler?

Feel like waking my son up from his nap and bolting back to JJ's! Here I am trying not to spend all my money and you all are no help, lol. I felt foolish as it is leaving with only 1 plant from there, now I abandoned a gem. Doing my absolute best to refrain from purchasing anything else until the cutting sale Eater weekend, wish me luck.

Wishing I had your advice about the seeds, I purchased a few nights ago a bit impulsively. I got: Mardi Gras, Siam Ruby, Kanoehe Sunset & Cerise. From what you've said, I've got a fair shot with Cerise to look like the parent. I liked the others so much I figured it was worth a shot that one might turn out like the parent- either way I am so excited to grow my very own and hope they turn out as well as what I purchased already established.

Now if only the rain would go away so I can get these plants back in some CA sunshine!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

They all look good, wherever they're from. JJ's isn't cheap and the guy probably recoups some of his money by growing cuttings from his purchases.

And you picked some great seed varieties. I have Mardi Gras seedlings myself and they're very hardy; I expect pink flowers from mine. Siam Ruby will probably give you a nice red and KS a pink.

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

My first cuttings arrived today from MPG! I am so hopeful that they root! I ordered Kakua Wilder and was additionall sent a mystery cutting due to a long delay in shipping (which was communicated immediately after I placed the order). The mystery looked a bit wrinkled, but was still firm. I soaked the ends in some rain water and ST, then planted with the egg method and in water bottles. On a whim, I mixed in some worm castings with the top few inches of my soil mix, hoping that's ok. I've just brought them in for the night to sit on a heating mat with a large tupperware bin over the top to hopefully add a little humidity. Too much?

Optimistically,
    Wendy

• Becci_Bop
    11 years ago

Hi Guys!! My sweet adorable amazing husband got me addicted to these beautiful flowers while I was visiting with him in Dubai! Now I am trying to find a singapore obtusa or a dwarf singapore (white both) to grow and to have. I have been looking everywhere. Does anyone sell them locally around Virginia Beach?

Thanks!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Congrats on the cuttings Wendy. Doug sends out good ones doesn't he? They are always so healthy and plump. Mine has only been rooted for 1 1/2 months an already has about 10 inch leaves, but of course it had to be the mystery one. Can't wait to see what it's gonna be. Thinking about ordering 2 more from him if I can rake up the rest of the money that I need.

Becci_Bop, why not try mauiplumeriagarderns.com ? Dough has a great variety of these beautiful flowers and they arrive on your door step within 2 business days. Plus you get a free mystery one. With my last order, I got 2 free mystery ones! ;)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Ops, typo! I meant http://mauiplumeriagardens.com . Ugh... used to be such a good typer in school lol!

• minstrick
    10 years ago

Hello, My name is Mindy and I am also an addict. I really enjoyed reading this thread last night. I am new to Plumeria but I dove into it full force this month. I am currently trying to grow seeds from my Celadine tree. I planted 23 seeds a couple weeks ago and so far only 1 has sprouted. Yesterday I decided to float some of them in styrofoam boats. Anyways I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I appreciate everyone's advice on this forum and like the addicted newbie who started this thread, I am 33, a veteran, and finding plumeria soothing :)

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Mindy, WELCOME!!! We're so glad to have you here and as a plumeria addict you are certainly in the right place! I find plumeria soothing too, and they also keep me busy and off my butt!

How big is your Celadine tree? If you are able to we would LOVE to see a picture!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Welcome, Mindy! It's a very short trip from "newbie" to "addicted newbie", LOL! You're in great company; we all find peace with these plants.

10 years ago

Let me add my welcome, Mindy!!!

You are in great company here! We all love these beauties ...

You will fit in just perfectly.. :)

I also want to personally " THANK YOU " for your service to our country.. It means so much to me.
    Mahalo!

Have fun and enjoy!!!

Laura

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it has been a while since i have posted here, but it seems like this thread has stayed alive. All those seedlings have grown, i have yet to get an inflo from the seedlings, this weird winter is probally what messed me up on that.
    but i have picked up a few goodies here and there, and i wanted to show you all.

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Great plumeria watch dog! I like your pot holding steps. Mine are on the ground and my dogs have broken tips off when they rampage through them.

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Very nice, Joshua. Seedlings (on avg.) put out their first blooms at 2--3 years, some take much longer than that, and some never do bloom . Vigorous seedlings are handy to use as graft hosts, though, for hard -to -root cuttings, so even non -bloomer's are useful. The fastest way to get flowers the first year is to buy a cutting with a latent inflo, next would be to buy an established rooted or grafted plant. These plants are lessons in patience, but their beauty and fragrance makes them well worth the wait.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Joshua, looks like you're well into this crazy hobby! It's a good-looking variety of plants you have. Love the variegated plumie and the adenium--is it a double color graft?

And congratulations on keeping everything so orderly. My collections looks like a crazy person assembled, which I suppose is appropriate ;-)

• Joshuat80
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jandey, yes the desert rose was grafted pink but the frost got it and i had to cut it back so it is now double colored. my goal with that desert rose is to let a few branches grow out on the oposite side to even it out and graft it and keep it set up to be red at bottom and pink at top but fuller.

I have 3 German Shepherds and not a lot of space so i can organize or have it all broken lol.

I will be haveing fun with a new thread i have 50 seeds headed this way and i am gonna get them started here shortly lol.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz