Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy79_gw

Fall bloomer in Boston--what to do?

joy79
14 years ago

I'm so happy that I found this forum! I've been growing a plumeria since returning from Hawaii in summer 2006. From the tiny little cutting I brought back with me I now have a nearly six foot tree with three main branches, with even more branching starting. It bloomed for the first time last fall--I had a single flower stalk. Now though with so much branching, I have several flower stalks and even branches off of those stalks.

The thing is though that it's now mid-November and my plumeria shows no signs of stopping its flowering any time soon. The buds first appeared in August but they grew very slowly; the blooms only started opening in mid-October. I always have to bring it in by September since it gets very cold here in Boston fairly quickly. It actually only moves a few feet from where it is outside--we live in an apartment in the lower level of a house and so moves from our outdoor patio to our bedroom window (which overlooks the patio). So it literally moves about 5 feet between fall/winter inside and spring/summer outside.

I have read lots of advice about allowing your plumeria to go into dormancy in the fall and winter, but that just doesn't seem appropriate given that it's still flowering. I use a liquid solution of Miracle Gro Bloom Booster once every 1-2 weeks in the summer and cut back on it by October. Should I be doing something different to encourage earlier summer blooms? Or do I just accept that it is a late fall bloomer and accept my good fortune? Certainly, it's a real treat to have the beautiful, aromatic smell of plumeria in my bedroom on a gloomy fall/winter day!

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Joy

Comments (3)