Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

First rain

tdogdad
10 years ago

Well my yard got its first rain of the season since spring and I am wondering if this will help spur any plants into going dormant. I have only had a few yellow leaves on a small number of plants so far. Temps have been above 60 with lows above 50 all fall at my house. Many of the flowers are showing some brown edges (except psycho of course) but lots of flowers still are blooming. Interesting fall.

Comments (14)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Bill. I didnt realize you got so little rain there. Is that normal?

we have a cold front pushing through right now. its been lower 60's all day and tonight on in to saturday we have highs in the mid 30's with chance for wintery weather, blah!!

mike

• chuy415
    10 years ago

I agree Bill... Very interesting Fall!! ;)

Chuy

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike- we have 14" a year which is almost desert level. Most of it comes from a few storms between now and March. The rest of the year we might have some fog with drizzle but actual rain is very rare from April to November. Of course, So.Cal is very large so areas near the mountains or more north have more chance for moisture. We only had about a quarter inch of rain but people here do not know how to drive in wet weather so the wrecks are plentiful.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Bill!!!

I can imagine all of the accidents In the area.. ( hydroplaning ) Think of all of the oil and mess on the interstates and back roads that have all of that oil and sentiment rise to the top with that rainfall.. It would be like an ice rink there with everyone still traveling 70-80. Yikes!!!

People here are the same when it snows.. They even tell you to break on the straight path, but people break when they are nervous.. OMG. If you try and tell them to slow before a turn and give a little power into the turn, it's like teaching them to drive at the age of 2. ;-). We have so many accidents too!

We are looking for our temps to drop down by 25 degrees on Saturday night.. Expecting lows into the 20's. can you believe that?

Hope all is well in Costa...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Give my best to S...

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

We were driving back to Ventura from the 395 and all the talk on the radio yesterday was about fatal crashes in the L.A. area and there a bouts. People out here cannot drive in rain. The semi truck fatality closed the freeway both ways for almost 20 hors. We got home safe but not going out in the rain that is to hit here on Turkey Day.....Gobble-Gobble everyone! roxanne

• isobea
    10 years ago

Hi Bill, Laura and everyone else,
    This storm really surprised me. Don't know why I didn't trust the fore cast. Guess they've been wrong too many times. But we received 1/2 inch during the night from Wed. to Thurs., then last night it started pouring like somebody had upended a bucket right over our house. Checked the rain gauge this morning: another full inch! I'll refrain from any more rain dances in the near future - the ground is pretty saturated.
    On a positive note, CA Sunset, Divine, Mona Lisa and Polynesian Red are still blooming. Anybody interested in the Pol. Red (34 inches tall from soil line)? I'd like to sell it before the winter.
    Hope you all have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!
    Iso

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hey everyone!!!

I thought El Paso was the only place for bad rain drivers! Lol!!! Glad to know it's not only here. Even when we get a little sprinkle the whole city falls apart!

We are getting our first freeze tonight! It;s supposed to get down to 30! I am not ready for the cold :(

Be safe everyone!! :)

Mark

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    There's plenty of goofy drivers left over for florida lol had a 6 inch downpour yesterday and I just put out my winter garden and temps are still above 70!! gary

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Bill, I'm glad you're getting some rain! Everyone can plump up before the next blooming season. When does Psycho leaf out again after dropping?

We've had rain along with an Arctic front--lots of water and temps no higher than 40 for the next couple of days. A plumeria nightmare! Still I'm leaving a big seedling in the ground and one potted one outside just to see how they do. The several potted ones I left out during the last 33 degree nights did just fine with some sheets on them.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jennifer, Psycho drops its leaves in late February and starts back in mid March to early April. My longest flowering period by it was May 9 to February 15= 9 and a quarter months. My Nebels Rainbow did the same leaf drop but the flowers were only there for 6 months. About half of my main stock have stopped flowering but still have leaves. Of the rest, the pinks (Lavender, Rachel's cloud, pink shell, Guillots Sunset, Lani, Kimi Moragne, Teresa Wilder, J.L. Pink and white,etc.) are still pumping heavily (50-100+ flowers @) How long will they last?

• lbinupland_zone_9
    10 years ago

I'm at 1600 ft. and leaves have been yellowing and dropping for a month now. Got plenty of rain while I have been restricting watering, to no avail.

I don't really know what "Singapore" means but, I have plumarias I bought from Lowe's and they have more rounded leaves, kind of shiny and are very late in dropping leaves and sometimes, not all of them.

My vote for worst drivers: From Berlin to Hanover late one night in a storm, only the inner lane was plowed. I'm doing 120kph in my rented Mercedes and was constantly high beamed to get the hell out of the way. That meant pulling over into six inches of snow but I was not crazy enough to maintain risking death at what a German thinks is fast enough. They really are crazy about their god given right to drive without any speed restrictions on the autobahn. And, they pay the price; doesn't faze them, will never learn. LB

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

That was a long time to go without rain, Bill.

My sister lives in Wa state and she missed the sound of thunder and lightening in the sky. She was here back in the spring but unfortunately mother nature was not cooperative. However, she did hear some light thunder way off in the distance back a few months ago.

Hi Laura! Hope you're cozy and warm. It's still 43 in my back yard right now. I'm hoping it won't get quite as cold as they're saying. It's the wind tomorrow that's going to make it feel so awful!

• isobea
    10 years ago

Hi LB, I know what you are talking about. My brother lives in Hannover, but has been working in Braunschweig (60km away) for the last 11 years. He faces this Autobahn 2 traffic every day. Right now there is also a lot of construction on that stretch of the freeway(meaning daily traffic jams even without crazy weather) and sometimes he chooses the back roads. Driving the southern CA freeway system can be downright relaxing compared to that.
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Iso !

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Rain in Southern California... Ahhhhh!!!

LB.. You made me think of a trip in Europe while on the AutoBahn I swear I never saw them until they were on my back bumper. Scared the living XXXXXXXXXXX. Right out of me. I wasn't even driving! OMG they are something...

Hi Mona!! Stay warm.. I hear the wind chills will be very cold tomorrow.

Bill.. Something tells me that Psycho will keep her blooms much longer this year... Just a feeling!!! I bet this fall/winter will be a good one for you!!

Night!

Laura