Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my cutting?

Posted by wrcaz 9 - Chandler AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 13:07

Sorry I saw a picture similar to this a couple weeks ago but now I can't find it so must post!

The cutting is wrinkly and thinner right at the soil line. I have a 50/50 mix perlite and peatmoss. Watered it initially about 3-4 weeks ago and have refrained from watering since. Moisture meter says it is dry. Tip is light green and has a couple little claws on it. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my cutting?

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:04

looks like rot to me. Was the end dried up real well before you tried to root it?

mike

o

• Posted by wrcaz 8 - Chandler (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 15:20

Yes it was dry. Also I used root tone when I planted. I thought maybe rot also but it is firm when I pinch it.

o

Hey wrcaz,
this is a sunburn. It got sunburned in two places for different reasons. The sunburn at soil level is due to reflection of radiation form the soil (which is additive with direct radiation from the sun). The sunburn higher up is from reflection of radiation from the wall of the pot. When you plant plumerias fill the pot and leave less than 1" of rimm showing. To prevent this, wrap the bottom 6" of the plumeria trunk with aluminum foil.

You can salvage the cutting by cutting it above the bottom sunburn to healthy tissue. The top sunburn is not that bad and you do not need to cut it out unless your cutting is super long.

I am the director of research of the Plumeria Society of America and I am writting an article on sunburning of plumerias. I am looking for examples from different places. Can I please use your picture in my article? E-mail me the picture and your full name (to give you credit). My E-mail is ghadjigeorge@comcast.net. Thanks.

George

o

Yep I agree with George that it's sunburned. Mine did exactly that and then just died a few weeks later. :( I'm no good at rooting cuttings though.

o

Hey wrcaz,
please respond to my request.
George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here