Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_west_gw

Anyone growing Plumeria in the NW?

kat_west
16 years ago

If so, I'd love to hear from you and about your techniques/success. I'm thinking of starting a NW Plumeria Society to share info and have fun. I'm located in Portland with a basement full of plumeria.

Comments (36)

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Portland? Now there is a tough one. Your winters are a plumies nightmare- cold, wet and foggy. I always wondered how Portland had so many beautiful roses. You must have a cozy warm basement for your plumies to hide in. I used to make annual pilgrimages to Hood River to windsurf so I know that July in Oregon can be spectacular- but I also skied Bend in December which taught me a new meaning for cold. You might have more success with a society of plumie growers north of the 42nd parallel so you could add in Chicago, New York, and New England growers, of which there are several. Hope you can spread your love of plumies around the city so summers could be roses and plumies in Portland. That would be sweet.

• janeobean
    16 years ago

I live in Illinois and have received 2 Plumerias as a gift from my daughter who moved to Honolulu, Hawaii last year. The summer was exciting as I watched the plants flurish on my landing. I put them out every morning after it warmed up a little bit and then I would take them in around sun down because I don't trust our night time weather. It is almost December and both plants have suddenly changed. Tell me if this is normal or not. They both have dropped their leaves and they look like cigars again. The leaves got black spots, curled up, turned crispy to touch, and then fell off the trunk all together. Did they get too wet, too cold or get a fungus and can I save them yet? What do I do? Also what does one do during the winter with this plant when the plant resides in Chicago? I've read they should be put in a box in a closet and don't do anything until springtime. Is this correct? Is there anyone in Illinois who has been successfully growning Plumerias? Chicagoland can have all four seasons on any given day so I'm desparate for quick assistance. Thanks to all.

~ Betty Jane ~

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Betty Jane- All sounds normal. Your plant just went dormant. Now it needs no water or less than a cup a month and should be kept above 40 degrees. It also needs no light. In March, put it in a warm window and sprinkle the soil with 1-2 tablespoons of epsom salts and water. Water with a high Phosphorus fertilizer every two weeks. Little claws on the tips will form leaves and your plant will be reborn over the next few months depending on weather. Put outside when warm. Oh and welcome to the addicts. bill

• mercedes2653
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I'm also in Portland. Count me in for the PNW plumie society. I have about twenty different plumies ranging from 3 years to a few months old seedlings. Let me know about our first society meeting...!

• ajpalomo
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I live in Portland also. I'm new to plumeria's but would love to get together with others in the area.

• charliepuppers
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I live in Portland/Vancouver area as well...I am just learning about Plumerias...I actually picked up a few "cigars" from hawaii last year but just planted mine a few weeks ago...Is that too late? I put it in a 5 inch pot but I am not sure if I should just get a bigger one now. Has anyone had luck with these? I am not sure if I should start fertilizing it either...since our weather has been so odd...we had really nice weather (mid 60s) and then it snowed today!
    :-/
    Thanks for all the great info!

• Maylannee
    12 years ago

I love Plumerias! When we moved to Portland from southern California 3 years ago, I gave away my beloved potted plumeria plants. Now that we are moving into a townhouse with a sunny patio, I'm thinking I'd like to grow them again. I'm having a difficult time finding them in local nurseries. Are any of yours for sale? I'd also like to join your club. Please keep me in the loop and contact me if you would like to sell some of your plants.

• LeaveIt
    10 years ago

I moved my Plumerias here from Los Angeles and they got sun burnt up here in Portland... (and died later)
    I'm assuming it's the longer summer days here..

• User
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I have a variety that does very well for me at 53 degrees north. See my post in May entitled A plumeria in the UK.

Best of luck,
    Brian UK.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

This is wonderful...

Glad to see you all come together!!!

Have fun!!

Laura

• momstime42
    10 years ago

Hi!
    I have 3 plumeria plants and I live in Oregon. I have baby'd them along for about 4 years. I have them in pots and put them outdoors in the summertime and they grow like crazy during the warmer temps. I bring them indoors when the temps in the evenings begin to dip into the lower 50's.
    My question is: When can I prune them?
    They need to be a manageable size to be movable from the indoors to the outdoors. Do I prune them back while they weather is warm and they are rapidly growing (possible quicker recovery time) or in the winter when they are more dormant?
    Also where do I cut them? and How do I cut them?

Please help me! I love them so! I want to do it right.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

You can prune in late winter/early spring right before they break dormancy, or after the growing season begins. Plumeria are generally pretty forgiving of pruning any time, but these times would be best, from what I've learned.

Good luck!

• Jlcarreon1
    9 years ago

Kat have you started your PNW plumeria club yet.

• josyc
    8 years ago

I was so pleased to see of other plumeria growers around Oregon. I have a young plant i nurtured from a cane brought back from Hawaii last year. Nearly killed it in July by leaving in direct sun too long- shade cloth has cured that problem. Would love to meet with some like-minded fans of the nectar-flowered delight. Love the idea of a club or get together.

Might Kat or someone else suggest a place we might gather to see how we might best keep our plumerias thriving in pdx... maybe just coffee some weekend?

Many thanks for these posts, all- joseph

• little_beanda75
    8 years ago

I'm right down the street in Hood River, Oregon and would LOVE to grow Plumeria outdoors in Summer and indoors in Winter. Count me in when you get a group together. Hawaiian memories in the wafting breeze...awesome!

• Grace Brubaker
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all! I just moved from Hawaii and brought 3 plumeria stocks with me and I'm having trouble getting them going. They havebeen in soil for 5 weeks now and they look just as dormant as before. Are they too cold, should I wait to start them until the spring? I'd so much love to join the PNW plumeria society if someone would pass along info.

TIA

• rmjarmitage
    8 years ago

Grace right about this time of year they would not grow, they go into their winter dormant period and require less nurturing and less water. Make sure they are almost dry before you give them any water. Read the posts above for wake up treatmentsome in the spring :) good luck!

• Colleen Hartsock
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well Hi everyone! I will be moving to Oregon in the very near future. I have 20+ plumeria - all in pots. I will be on the coast just north of the CA border. Does anyone know if my babies are likely to thrive?
    Sad but the pictures didn't appear! :( Sorry!

• Amanda Sherman
    7 years ago

Aloha all! I am moving from Honolulu to Oregon and found this thread googling plumeria in Oregon. Glad there's others in same predicament. Looking to by house around Seaside- Astoria area. Maybe build greenhouse? Not sure if smaller trees bloom. Hmmm hybrid plumeria into bonsai? (Like I know how to keep plants alive)

• David Souza
    7 years ago

I live in the tacoma washington area, i have one plumeria that i brougjt back from hawaii, and am having some issues. Any advice would be awesomr.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

Dry and warm are good. So that will be hard to achieve in the PNW without a greenhouse. Best of luck to the both of you.

• Dotti Belk
    7 years ago

I have been growing mine for in Portland about 6-7 years now. During the winter they live by a couple south facing windows and when the night time temps stay around 60 I move them outside semi shaded by a flowering locust tree. Last couple of years once of mine didn't even drop it's leaves in the winter. Any good advice about pruning? It is getting pretty big for it's spot.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Wonder what it would take to start a PNW Plumeria Society? Bringing this thread up again to see if there are others who'd love to share their experience. I live right on the ocean in the central coast. Next summer would be my first to bring my plumerias outdoors and wondering if it's going to work. Our daytime temp summertime is 60-72*, maybe in the 50's at night. We do get a fair amount of sun. Biggest problem is the wind. Even in summer it blows, but have a semi-protected spot. Probably just do some experimentation with a couple plants and roll the dice.

• maya_walls
    7 years ago

I'm moving to Portland asap! (12-18 months??) From San Diego and bringing my Sister,Dad, Dog,very little stuff but one thing that's coming??? My Dads Plumerias! So, looking around, I found you! Can anyone give me some advice??? It seems I need a basement..or a greenhouse?

• Nancy
    7 years ago

I live about 3 hours from Portland but spend a lot of time there as my grandkids are there. From about May-Sept your plumerias will be happy outside. Maybe then you can let them go dormant and bring them inside, or do what I do and put them under lights. I live on the ocean and due to the wind really can't have them outside at all. But like you thinking about greenhouses.

Hope your move goes smoothly. You'll love Portland. The wetter San Francisco.

Nancy

• Nancy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I still think you could manage with plumeria in Portland if you watch the temp carefully, have heated greenhouse or put them under lights inside. I can't imagine that they would survive outside in SW Oregon at the beach. It's just too windy on the ocean where I live, and the temp can drop significantly even on summer nights- temps can drop into the 40's on occasion. But my daughter has two plumerias in Portland and they are outside May to Sept and back under lights the rest of the year. I'd bring at least some of your Dad's plants and see how it goes.

• pdxcher
    7 years ago

FYI. I'm in the Portland area. You can have plumeria's here (heck, I've been growing some from seeds), but as others have stated, you can let them go dormant during the winter, or bring them indoors 9 months out of the year (Oct-June), or have a heated and insulated greenhouse (not enough sun to really keep it warm). Plumeria's need to stay above the 40's; they will go dormant if temps get under 65-70. I've let my adult tree go dormant, it starts sprouting leaves come April (indoors). The babies are all on heat mats and under light year-round.

My plumeria's thrived in direct sun during the summer (I no longer have that, so the adult hasn't bloomed). I keep them under a T5 light while indoors (12 hours) and the seedlings or rooting ones are on a heat mat and they're doing okay (not thriving, but alive).

I'm actually thinking about moving to the coast. I would think they would need more protection and kept warm. I think a greenhouse would be best.

I figure, if my friend can keep her plumies alive in Minnesota, we can do it Oregon. :)

If you want, I post pics on my Instragram account. Just look for #plumeriasinpnw. Good luck!

• HR
    4 years ago

Have . . . To

• HR
    4 years ago

ng

• jody whitehair
    4 years ago

Where can I purchase plumeria in Salem

• pdxcher
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@jody whitehair: not sure if you can buy them locally, but maybe during the summer? I haven't seen anything for sale around me; they have "tropical" plants, but never plumerias. I've purchased seeds and starters online. Are you looking for seeds or something established?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    4 years ago

Summertime look for Bloomingplumeria on eBay ( Fuzzy) or Matt Hunter ( Oahutropicals) both from Hawaii and trusted sellers. I highly recommed them. Brads Buds and blooms and Florida Colors are sellers located in Florida. Again. Trusted Have trees from all of them listed above.

Laura

• Kawagoe (Santa Clara,CAHome of SF 49ers)
    4 years ago

Laura is back.......I do not know you personally, but I enjoy reading your comments.

Happy New Year!!!!

• sarita_bhagwan
    3 years ago

Do you also sell plumeria stalks? I have been searching for one or two. Live in Portland, thanks

• Linda Todd
    3 years ago

I am from San Diego and moved to Oregon 3 years ago. I brought my plumerias with me and a greenhouse. They do fine with heat lamps in the greenhouse in winter...I belong to the So Ca plumeria society on Facebook. If you watch their page people sell sticks sometimes and will ship them. I have gotten several new ones since I've lived here...good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting