Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Branching Seedling

Posted by tessa_leonie none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 14:04

Hi, I decided to join the forum since I regularly lurk here for expert advice. My plumeria seedlings are now 2 years old and are growing nicely though they have not bloomed yet . One of my smaller seedlings did branch though. I was hoping to get some advice on whether I should let them get dormant or to prolong the growing as long as possible. I have put them inside now it is getting cold (I am in the Netherlands but not sure what zone). Last year I lost my biggest seedling to rot so I am tempted to keep them warm and cozy. What do you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some more pics of my plumeria seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Branching Seedling

Tessa, welcome to the forum! Always nice to have international friends join us! I don't know a lot about your weather, but it's probably safe to assume you'd be maybe a zone 6 or 7, getting to freezing in the winter from about now to maybe April?

Plumeria seedlings will not go dormant their first winter, but most do their second winter. You may find a mix of dormant and not-dormant. Just water the ones who keep most of their leaves only when they look like they need it. That will vary a lot depending on the temperature and humidity level you provide. Those who lose all or nearly all their leaves can do without water pretty much all winter.

Your seedling looks great and may still be small enough to not go dormant. It looks very like the only one of mine to branch from the 2010 crop. Here it is earlier this year:
DSC03669

Only the main stem grew much. To be safe I've recently tied the outer branch to the main branch, to grow more at a 45 degree angle and to keep it safe with all the winter moving that's coming up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

o
RE: Branching Seedling

Hey Jandey, thanks for your response! Ultimately both my plumeria went dormant so I let them dry really well before moving them to a slightly colder room I do keep them in the windowsill because I heard keeping them near light is best. So far so good (no rot yet) Can't wait till they start growing again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here