Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 branches from an inflo

Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 14:08

I've got one branch on my tree that has developed five
new brances from an inflo.

How unusual is this?

I've seen 3 and sometimes 4, but never 5.

I'd post a picture, but there's so many leaves, you
can't really see the details.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 branches from an inflo

I don't see it as being unusual. You run a risk that the original branch may not be able to supply enough nutrients to all 5 tips concurrently. So some may die back or be stunted.

o

Five is not that common and usually is caused by some form of tip illness or damage. Really unusual is 14......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

Hello EVeryone,

Fourteen? Really? OH MY!!!

That would only happen to you BIll!! LOL...

I have even had one that only continued to grow as a single stem, so anything that is two or more..is good for me!!

Fourteen? That is something i have never heard of before!!! WOW!!!

QA,

I think that is wonderful!!! Five is more tips than i have ever had after an inflo. The most i have ever seen is four !!

Please let us know if they all continue to grow!!!

Love to see pics!!!

Take care QA,

Laura in VB

o

tdogdad,

What variety is that plumeria? I'm wondering if certain varieties have the tendency to branch more prolifically than others.

Mae

o

I have a few that have either put out only one new tip for me, or judging by old inflo scars, have done it repeatedly in the past before I got them.

Dazzler looks like a serial one-tipper, as does Giant Aussie Orange. VC Lutica gave me only one tip from its inflo this spring, but I can forgive that since it's only just rooted.

I have a Lava Flow seedling, too, that looks like the young branches only made singles. Some branches seem to make extra tips that never grow beyond a tiny nub.

There's a cultivar called Brancher that regularly breaks between four and eight times per inflo. I'm not wild about the flowers, though.

o

Laura- the picture was years ago and I ended up cutting all but three branches off so the plant would grow strong. I do not remember which plant this was but it survived and I think was eventually given to a friend.

o

Wow, 14 tips?? I know thats a bit too much for a small trunk to support, but still, I think its pretty awesome!
I think my record is 4, but usually I get 3. I have also had plumerias that would only make one new tip after blooming (My Divine has actually not branched at all after blooming on 2 occasions!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here