Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Branches develop tan bark

Posted by sunseeker53 10a CA USA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 15:06

Hello! Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving!
I was at my sister's house in Sacramento for Thanksgiving, and noticed that the plumeria plants I had given her the year before have developed a strange crusty tan color on about 4" of the growing tips. I own the same varieties and my plants don't have anything like that. Other than the tan crusty color, the plants seem healthy otherwise.
Do anybody here know what this is and how to remedy it (if is a problem).
Thanks for any feedback!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Branches develop tan bark

I am really new at this, but from the diseases that i have read about nothing matches this.
To be honest it almost looks like it got sunburned. I would wait on someone a bit more experienced to chime in here. but that is what i think it is if i had to guess.

o

Seems like its limited to the green wood. the tips look relatively clear and green, the leaves are a bit yellow but that just may be end of season. I have not seen sunburn look this before. But its possible. Plumeria Psoriasis? :) Its definately something attacking the soft green skin.

o

some of the leaves dont look so well either.

o

Sun, that looks like it might be a sucking insect causing a defensive reaction on the branches. The leaves certainly look like something's been attacking them.

It probably won't kill the plant, but you may want to take a leaf sample in a plastic baggie to a reputable nursery and ask for a diagnosis. Then they could recommend a treatment.

o

Thanks everybody for your input!
I don't think it's sunburn because I have a few sunburnt plants and the burns usually look tan and smooth, not crusty like this. Jen, you may be right, because I noticed some leaves look like they might have spider mites damage. Maybe the plants had a defensive reaction like you said. My sister is going to try spraying a diluted dishwashing soap solution to see if it helps reduce the spider mites issue, and see if the branches will grow normal skin again.

o

That definitely looks like spider mite damage on those leaves. Cheryl

o

I concur that there are bad spider mites on the newer leaves. They also attack the tips, so perhaps you're seeing the stem tissue reaction to spider mites from a long period of infestation.

I think once you get the mites under control, the plant will be just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here