Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Help Sought from Great Temptation!

georgecc
11 years ago

Dear fellow Plumeria Web members, I am anticipating great temptation this evening, and am soliciting your help and prayers.

I innocently volunteered to pick up a couple of plumerias for a friend (toomanydogs), as the location was close to me and far from her. I had no plans for purchasing anything, none at all. For all you disbelievers who are gasping or just flat out laughing now, let me repeat - no intention to buy any plumeria - not even looking!

All was well, until I spoke on the phone to the seller (who I shall from this point refer to as the Great Plumeria Temptress - "GPT") asking for an address.

GPT pointed out to me that she also had Hurricane, ET Lemon Drop, Duke, Kimi Moragne, a tall Katie Moragne, Gulf Stream, even a cold-hardy white from a mountainous village in Mexico - and a LARGE Samirie!! Yes, dear readers, a large Samirie!!!

To make things worse, they are all 2-6 feet, and at really low prices, maybe even quantity discounts, that I would be foolish to pass on - - even though I was not actively looking for any plumerias at this time and had finished shopping for the season, and mainly - I was trying to be good! Really.

Now, if any of you were being bad (let's just say as an exercise, not that there are any enablers in this group) - what would you do and what would you buy?

And, if you read this, WWJD? (What would Jandey do??)

Comments (27)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Well, isnt the world suppose to end 12-21-2012? that means you only have about a month to enjoy them......so I say buy em all up. LOL

Mike

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point. I knew I wouldn't get restrictive advise from this group, that why I skipped the "Minimalist Garden Forum" and posted here!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Samirie! Get Samirie! Why are you still reading this?! Go!

Just kiddin'. All the others you listed are fairly easy to get, except the cold-hardy white, which I guess could be Sierra Madre. A cold-hardy plumeria is something many of us would give our right arms for.

My second choice would be tall Katie Moragne. She's purty. Third choice would be whatever had the best size and tip count, since they're all very good varieties.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

WWJD? She would talk me into buying the ones that she didn't and then exchange cuttings later. Well who are we kidding...it wouldn't take much talking.

All in all a true victimless crime.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very true, kms2.

Well, good thing I hadn't washed the car yet. I packed it one last time this year. In fact, the extremely nice seller even commented at one point when I was packing the car (with five trees) - "you're very experienced at this, aren't you?" LOL

I packed the car with nice sized Iris Sunset and a Pupukea Crepes for Allison (toomanydogs). Then after an hour of considering different combinations of plants, I added for myself a 6' Samirie, a 2.5' tall, many-tipped and quite wide Thornton's Lemon Drop, and a 3 foot tall (single tipped) Magnum Opus.

So what do you think, Jandey? I never thought I'd find a 6' Samirie, I really wanted the ET Lemon Drop, and I know how many people here love Magnum Opus! Woo-hoo. My Samirie has a cool shape, so I want to find a spot in the yard to give it maximum dramatic impact.

Had to leave behind the 7' Katie Moragne, though, even though I was sure I'd be able to fit it, too, in the car!

Then (not that I encouraged), Allison decided she'd really like the 5.5' Duke the seller has, so I may be back there this weekend! Oh-oh.

Well, if I can sell off my 3.5' Katie Moragne, I may be bringing a 7' one home! But that's it!!

And Jandey, the cold tolerant plumeria for sale wasn't Sierra Madre, it's a different variety from Zapatecas. Tree looked nice. She also had a very full San Germaine that she raved about how fragrant it was (my San Germaine turned out to be something else. Though not a Celadine - although I now suspect my Blue Hawaii is!)

Time to wash the car (after the weekend).

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very true, kms2.

Well, good thing I hadn't washed the car yet. I packed it one last time this year. In fact, the extremely nice seller even commented at one point when I was packing the car (with five trees) - "you're very experienced at this, aren't you?" LOL

I packed the car with nice sized Iris Sunset and a Pupukea Crepes for Allison (toomanydogs). Then after an hour of considering different combinations of plants, I added for myself a 6' Samirie, a 2.5' tall, many-tipped and quite wide Thornton's Lemon Drop, and a 3 foot tall (single tipped) Magnum Opus.

So what do you think, Jandey? I never thought I'd find a 6' Samirie, I really wanted the ET Lemon Drop, and I know how many people here love Magnum Opus! Woo-hoo. My Samirie has a cool shape, so I want to find a spot in the yard to give it maximum dramatic impact.

Had to leave behind the 7' Katie Moragne, though, even though I was sure I'd be able to fit it, too, in the car!

Then (not that I encouraged), Allison decided she'd really like the 5.5' Duke the seller has, so I may be back there this weekend! Oh-oh.

Well, if I can sell off my 3.5' Katie Moragne, I may be bringing a 7' one home! But that's it!!

And Jandey, the cold tolerant plumeria for sale wasn't Sierra Madre, it's a different variety from Zapatecas. Tree looked nice. She also had a very full San Germaine that she raved about how fragrant it was (my San Germaine turned out to be something else. Though not a Celadine - although I now suspect my Blue Hawaii is!)

Time to wash the car (after the weekend).

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

Don't wash the car! Repeat, don't wash the car, George!

Since this is all my fault, I will bravely volunteer to buy your Katie Moragne. You need a taller tree to fit in with your other towering plumeria. I really appreciate the terrible sacrifices you have made for me; braving the wilds of dubious areas of Van Nuys in the dark and being forced to buy more plumeria! Truly a hero.

Then let's discuss this San Germaine....

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Damn, K, I thought I'd fooled you with my "impartial recommendations"!

George, your San Germain is something else? Well, that explains the huge discrepancy in scent perception. And I'm sure someone around here would be happy to buy the smaller Katie. I'd take her if it wasn't such a long drive.

Excellent choices you made! You'll be very happy, I'm sure. Keep me in mind when you're ready to prune Samirie, hehe. Did I say that? :P

Jen

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Allison, you have a deal. You'll love Katie, she bloomed for me all summer, and the flowers were beautiful and fragrant and saturated with color in the heat.

Jandey, Matthew from Island Plumeria was kind enough to come to my house for a consultation, to let me know how my plumerias were doing and to give suggestions and feedback. It was extremely useful, especially given I'm a novice. He did point out that the San Germaine wasn't a San Germaine, which explains a lot. Glad you like my selections, though, and thanks for all your advice. If you hit me up in the Spring, I'll definitely get you a Samirie cutting. (I attached a pic of the flower from my camera phone).

I'll put the tall Katie in the row with the other relatively tall ones - Jeannie Moragne, then Loretta, Pop's Red*, and Katie Moragne. In between will be smaller, lighter colored plumies.

I'd love to have a plumeria and landscaping expert give me some advice in the Spring on where to plant each plumeria for maximum color and contrast impact. Any advice on where to find one or who might be interested?

Here's the Samirie pic:

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

This is precisely why I have stopped coming here recently. The temptation is simply too great to resist. I just need to wait to get to the new house and see how much space I have before I join you in your buying sprees!

You got some beauties! Samirie is GORGEOUS! Still praying mine will root. It has been 6 weeks and still no roots.

Enjoy your new plants!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

George... Your killing me!! LOL..

Love.."DONT wash The Car.." LMAO!! I think Allison is a great friend to have!! : ) Seems like you both could use a larger vehicle when doing the "pickup" for the new trees soon!!

If only i lived nearby.. ;-) I would join you guys in the hunt for the big beauties!!

Sounds like you found some great trees, George!!! Glad you found the ETLD. The pic of your Samirie is stunning..

HI Jen, K and Lynn!!! You guys had me chuckling...

I want warm weather back!!! Listening to the rain on the windows right now.. it is cold too! BUMMER!!

Take care,

Laura

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks No-Clue!

Laura, I'd love to have you join us too on some of these adventures. We'd have a blast! I can see us all laughing in the car as we're trying not to move because we're sitting between a dozen carefully placed plumies! Come down to California!

The pic of the Samirie is not from my new tree (not blooming right now) or from my cutting, but from Tom Morin's "mother tree", which both of these came from. I also like the scent on the Samirie.

And thanks, Allison, you are a blast to talk plumeria with, and your ease of saying "yes!" while shopping plumies matches mine, unfortunately for us both!

And no, I haven't washed the car yet. Allison bought my smaller Katie Moragne, so that I can pick up the 7' one this weekend. I hope I don't come home with the 5' Hurricane, too, or the thin but tall Kimi M.. But why dirty the car later, when you can get it over with now? Laura, call Priceline - maybe they have a flight deal! LOL

Allison, here's a pic of my Katie. It was a good bloomer. I'm glad it's going to a good home!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

See how well that worked out for everyone? Those Katie and Samirie pics are awesome! George, if you hadn't gotten ETLD, I'd have offered you a cutting trade from mine. But nicer for you to start with a rooted tree!

That was very nice of Matthew to check your plants out for you! Did he know what that lovely pale pink/white Daisy W.-lookalike was? Or your pretty not-Celadine? If he gave you any surprising tips on care, please share them.

Laura, we would be in even more trouble if we were all together, but it sure would be fun. I can just see us as George described, trying not to move inside his plumeria-packed car, LOL!

I just did a final pot count and it is under 60--woohoo! Still, that means I need to make up my mix and find 5-gallon or bigger pots for over 30 plants. Oy. But I can't think of a better problem to have, except maybe, "I have too many blooms falling off my plumies!", lol.

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

George, your Katie is gorgeous, I will try to give it as good a home as it had at your house!

Washing the car is clearly contraindicated anyway because of the impending rain which has already started to fall here in Riverside.

When you see the GPT again this weekend, remember my motto: when in doubt, buy them all!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I should not hang out w/ Simidude and Toomanydogs! Your "Motto" is the same as mine so that's double trouble! Although I used to say that about shoes and handbags, only now it's Plumeria! LOL

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

You guys are to funny!!

I could see all of us.. We would need a extended Van with an attached trailor.. Smiling ear to ear!!

Who would understand better than Plumie lovers?

You guys are making it hard to survive the cold days back east...

Priceline eh? LOL.. let me check!! LOLOLOL..

Maybe i should just walk on another plane headed west when i go to work tomorrow? Yea!!! I like that idea!!!

John Wayne Airport OR BUST!! :)

California.... sigh!!!

Lucky dogs!!

Laura

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Laura,

John Wayne is only a little over an hour to JJ's! About the same distance to Matthew's place (right Simidude?). Or we can go to Upland... or down SD to see Mike and Doug Jones??

OMG how fun would it be?! We should do a Plumeria field trip and buy everything in sight! LOL...

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

John Wayne to Matthew's in Northridge would be about 1.5 hours. Would be worth it, though we could make it a two-dayer and go down south, too.

Okay - Allison, Laura, Jandey, No-Clue and myself shopping plumies - forget the extended van with trailer, we'd need an airplane carrier! But wait -- Allison's DH loves plumerias, too. What's bigger than an airplane carrier? We'd have to commandeer one of those black mile-long starships from Independance Day! Could you imagine us driving that, stopping at Northridge, shopping, packing, then moving to San Diego, doing it again...then the next city, and the next (and we'd still crowd the cargo compartments and have to cram them between seats)! Oh, boy. Maybe we need to stop now, before the plumeria famine of Winter 2012 (which we cause!)! LOL

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think Monday I'll start practicing moderation.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

George... I like how your mind works. Now make it happen will ya? We'll make sure to bring James w/ us... he has exquisite taste!

Next time I'm that way can I tour your garden? You picked up some gorgeous plants!! Many are on my wish list! I can't wait to move already and start filling up my tiny garden. LOL

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I'd love it if you came to see the garden. Let me know when you're nearby. I don't know how long the blooms will last. A month ago, they looked great, a week later two more started blooming, a week after that they all looked so bad (Santa Ana Winds) that I thought this was it for the flowers this year - I couldn't even fill one bowl with blooms. Then last week, it surprisingly got better, I could have filled three bowls and made a lei. This week some plumeria have pretty much stopped blooming, some have changed color, some are smaller and some are now bigger. Some look pretty good still, except for the falling yellow leaves. So I don't know when end of season is here yet (it's my first full year). But you're welcome over when you like.

My Hilo Beauty started blooming recently, and I brought it inside to the sunroom this week. Its two inflos are just starting. I wonder what the odds are that it will still be blooming come Christmas?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Stop you guys!!! My sides hurt from laughing. Your all too bad!!! If you've got room for one more my DH has a CDL license with double and triple endorsements to pull 2 or 3 trailers. Do you think that would be enough? Wouldn't have to pack them between seats and room for the really tall ones. Oh no you pulled me in too. "LOL" Peg

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jandey, it was really nice of Matthew to come do the consultation. When came in and looked out through the windows, he looked kind of startled, and then he stopped and asked me if he could go get his camera in the car. I'd bought a number of plumeria from him in the last several months, but I got the feeling he didn't think I had this many first year. He looked kind of incredulous and asked if I had just bought them all blooming because almost all were. I told him that while many I did buy when blooming, a bunch more started blooming later (especially the "surprise" ones). He came at a good time, lots of flowers blooming and very green leaves, including a Mardi Gras I had bought from him which neither of us expected to bloom this year, but now had two inflos. He said the plants all looked great, which was a real relief given how I killed 3 out of the 5 first trees I got last November (I thought since they were from tropical areas, they needed lots of water). It's nice to have an expert tell a newbie that things are going right.

As for the Celadine-like, he's seen some very close variations of Celadine which looked a lot like mine, but which are not true Celadine. He confirmed that my little yellow is a Heidi. He didn't know what my Daisy Wilcox-like one was, though it's certainly not a Maui Beauty (what I bought it as), which he has a big tree of. My San Germaine is definitely not a San Germaine, even the leaves told him that. He recommends I keep using mulch. He loved Gina and was amazed I got a 6-foot one on Craigslist labeled as something else. And we talked about making plans for protecting the plumies come Winter, being prepared, and what I should have at the ready. He showed me how to check roots for rotting and what to look for, and how to remove the rot. He told me not to worry too much about sunburned leaves. All in all, I really enjoyed the consultation. It was long, I wish I could remember everything we talked about, but now I'm not worried about all the new ones dying like the first bunch nearly did (only my big Loretta has really recovered so far). I think he also got a kick out of seeing his trees do well after they leave his nursery. I think he worries about how people will take care of the trees once they leave there (which I know I would). We even traded cuttings - he wanted a Buttered Popcorn, which cracked me up (this tree in general cracks me up) and I got a Grainy Moragne.

It was also interesting for him to see the same flower and how it differs just 15 miles away from where he is. I know I get a kick when I see, for example a Jeannie M. or lets say a Wildfire near the coast (mostly pink), then in Anaheim inland (pinker), then Northridge and Simi (slightly different reds). The colors vary so much!

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peg, come on over and bring your DH too (sounds like he'd be a great driver!). The more the merrier!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

there is always another "Next" Monday...

That would be so awesome...a Nimitz Class Greenhouse.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kms2 - does sound cool!

jandey - thanks about the cutting offer if I hadn't gotten a rooted ET Lemon Drop. You and Laura were both watching my back with an ETDL cutting offer, thank you, it's really appreciated. Don't forget the Samirie cutting next year if you're up for it.

toomanydogs - Good thing about the rain (we got a fair amount today)! I'll leave the car as is, why get it washed?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Rain means the universe wanted you to get those plumies!

Sounds like we've got this shopping thing all sorted out. We'll just have to rob a bank along the way, or find a "sponsor" for a group of lunatic plant collectors. Miracle-Gro maybe?

I'm gonna need a Nimitz-class greenhouse if I keep talking to you guys here!