Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are my cuttings doing??

Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 15:55

Photobucket

A dear friend gifted me w/ 3 very important cuttings.
I left them in mulch per George's instructions for 2 weeks to callus then I potted them up on Sept. 24th.

Photobucket

Exactly 6 weeks later I still don't see any roots, but I think the leaves are trying to open??

Photobucket

The leaves range from 2-4 inches long... so still very tiny.

Photobucket

Why are they starting to open when I don't see any roots?

One of the 3 cuttings is slightly sunburned so the tips are black and crispy.

Anyway, what does all of this mean?? Are they rooting? Dying or what? I have never gotten this far w/ any of my cuttings... so I have no idea if this is normal? It has been cold at night so I have been taking them in at night and out during the day in the shade. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are my cuttings doing??

You said you potted them up...but then you said you don't "see" any roots - where are you looking for them? (You're not digging in there are you?!) LOL! The leaves opening are usually a sign they are beginning to root. Many say that once you have about 7 full sized leaves you can begin to water lightly. They're doing what they're supposed to, all good. Keep 'em warm & they will continue to do well! Great job!

o

LOL... I know better than digging in there. I potted them up in the clear water bottles so I can see that there are no roots.

I'm ordering a heat mat so I can leave them inside by the kitchen's bay window. Temps are cooler now so I HOPE the sun through the glass window won't burn them. I want these to root soooo badly so I can stop saying I kill cuttings! Plus these are very precious cuttings.

o

LEAVE THEM ALONE. As long as the stems are hard, they are fine. Do not water them until the leaves get about 6-8 inches long and then water around the outside edge of the pot to encourage roots to go out looking for water. They may drop the leaves and go dormant which does not mean they are dying, but that they are going dormant. If that happens cut the water to a few ounces around the outside edge every month until leaves show in March. You will often not see roots for 8-15 weeks especially at this time of the year. :) Bill

o

Hi Bill,

I only move them nightly b/c it's cold outside but then warm during the day. I have not watered them at all since I potted them up in Sept. I think once my heat pad comes and I can leave them by the bay window inside for the winter then I won't touch them again until we move. But they look ok though right?? Thanks so much! Glad to see you're on here Bill! Miss you!

o

bottom heat and no peaking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here