Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay to trim branches now?

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night Florida z9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 18:35

Hi, I am in a zone 9a where it can freeze hard a few times in the winer. I usually put all my plummies in a greenhouse for the winter so I can run heat if I need to on cold nights when it gets below freezing .

This year they aren't going to fit. Some are higher than the center 10ft roof even if I sunk the pots in the ground inside the gh. They are also spread out 8ft wide on some plants which will take up way too much space.

Is it okay to go ahead and trim back some branches now? Will I end up with a lot of dieback?
I guess I should of done it earlier but most had flowers so I couldn't make myself do it lol.
SJN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay to trim branches now?

I have found they can be cut anytime of the year. I have them break off by themselves and just stuck them into more soil with no problems. The only problem I have had was when I watered a cutting before it started to put on leaves and the bottom started to rot so I just cut that part of the end off and let it set in the same soil without watering for a good while. If you have some dry potting soil they do good when the cut in is put into a dry compost or soil as it helps the end to heal better.

o

Thanks. I was kinda freaking out a little bit because when usually cut them back (which hasn't been enough) it is in spring and they have time to heal and grow more branches on the trees before the colder weather and dormancy sets in. I don't think I will have a choice with these and will have to get them trimmed back enough at least a few inches under the roof line. Not looking forward to it lol.

o

Hi Lenette!, so nice to see you post on this forum. Barbra

o

You were my secret santa on the brugmansaia forum, many years ago, in case you don't remember. Barbra

o

Hi Barbra. So nice to see you too. (((HUGS))) Of course I remember you lol. I just didn't get back to this forum in time to see your post. Do you still grow brugmansias? I have way more of them than plumeria due to lack of storage space for the plummies in the winter here but I am working on it lol.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:38

o

Yes, I do still grow them, but only a couple do well for me New Orleans Lady and Daydreams, I been wanting to get Honeymoon, but have been sinking all my money into buying plumeria. Honeymoon did really well for Chocolate Brug, so I put it on my want list, maybe next year, after I thin out my plumeria. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here