Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with this tree?

Posted by sbrow156 Cairns QLD Australia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 18:49

Hi Everyone. So i decided to get another clipping from the pink tree down the road from my mums place as she is starting a plummie collection now too and wants me to root some for her. haha i converted her lol. Anyway when i went to get it all the branches were squishy and i was looking for a good hard one and couldnt find one. I ended up giving up and just taking a cutting anyway but the inside of the cutting is hollow and i dont know what seems to be wrong with the tree. It wasnt like that when i took my original cutting a few weeks ago. It was hard and full like any normal cutting. Also the outside of the branches were all liney looking (see pic) almost shrivelled looking. i have the cutting drying out beforeut it in soil to root and it has gone abit harder but still is hollow inside so i dont know if it will root or not. we havnt had too much rain lately as it is a tree in someones front yard on a rental house n i dont think they water their garden. what do you think could be wrong with the tree?

Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with this tree?

• Posted by sbrow156 Cairns QLD Australia (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 18:51

liney

o

Offhand, I'd say the tree is drying out and is in dire need of water. The shriveling is due to dehydration.

o

Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 19:58

and the hollowness and squichyness of the branches? also from dehydration? i did concider that...either that or it may be rotting?

o

If you stick a pin in it, does it bleed white sap? Or black? White is good,black is rot. If it's severely dehydrated, there may not be anything that comes out.

o

Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 4:04

If it's a big enough hole it's white sap the hole a pin makes doesn't make any sap come out :/

o

Very dehydrated, not optimal for a viable cutting. :( Sarah, you can try water rooting it. That may be your best bet, and try to cut the bottom clean and straight across before you begin.

Dry out the end for several days, then place in a plastic cup of water indoors until you see "popcorn" on the stem, no more than three weeks. Then pot into moist soil and keep it damp.

o

looks dehydrated.

o

Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 16:21

I did try water rooting the last cutting from this tree (back when it was ok) and it began to rot so I cut it back and now have it in soil. I will attempt wAtet rooting again coz it's dehydrated n see how it goes. Why indoor for water rooting? Not outdoors undercover wit filtered sun?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here