Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kruzerdave

Plumeria Cutting Help - Store or Plant?

kruzerdave
11 years ago

Hi All, I just recieved some cuttings from a friend whose plumeria tree had some branches break off due to recent winds. My question is should I try to root the cuttings at this time of year or should I just store the cuttings until next spring? Also, If I store the cuttings what is their "shelf life" or how lng can I store plumeria cuttings before I have to plant them? I live in southern California Zone 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (3)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

November is too late for normal rooting but if you could take them out in the day and bring them in a night you might get some root growth started. You can wait until April with cuttings now and most will remain in good shape. Keep them in a cool but not cold location. Warm and dry will wrinkle and dry out the cutting so avoid the heated rooms. Some cuttings will grow after several years but most are good for about 6 months.

• kruzerdave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I have the cuttings marked and I'm ready to store them. Ill be keeping them in my garage. The garage and garage door are insulated so I'm hoping the temperature inside is favorable for the cuttings. Thanks for the tips tdogdad

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I'm putting in a couple of cuttings Thursday on my day off. We don't have central heat so if a freeze is predicted I'll just pop them into the house overnight.
    No worries about the heat drying them out here lol! I had plants freeze in the kitchen one year, of course we had NO heat at the time, all our heaters melted when the house burned down and we only had portable kerosene heaters until I could get some gas space heaters ordered.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks