Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings from a destroyed Naples, Florida monster tree!

Posted by JeffreyJoe 5 New Hampshire (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 20:29

I spent last week vacationing in Naples and came across a horrifying sight! I was walking down the street on my way to the beach and there was a landscape truck with a huge bucket putting large trees in the back. I didn't think too much about it until I noticed some plumeria leaves! According to the workers, the house had just sold and the new owner ripped out everything to start anew... I was able to get some very nice cuttings from the branches laying on the ground. The 6 inch trunk and main branches were already in the back of the truck... I couldn't have shipped it home anyway... :)

Unfortunately, there were no flowers on the ground, so I couldn't identify the tree. I did however put the address in google maps and there is a beautiful picture of the tree in bloom. If you go to the street view and go down the side street there is a better sense of the flower. I am not sure what varieties were even around 15-20 years ago when this tree was planted...

Any help would be appreciated...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the map

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings from a destroyed Naples, Florida monster tree!

:-(. Sad. Unfortunate

Chuy

o

Cuttings taken... Largest is 28 inches.

o

Close up of leaf scars to help identification.

I purchased and sprayed some fungicide/insect killer on the cuttings and let it dry before I packed them in the suitcase. I plan on reapplying it before trying to root them. Can I over apply it?? There was some rust on the leaves before I cut them off and I don't want it to spread to my other plants! Thanks!

Jeff

o

How sad. I wish Hetty from the Naples Botanical Gardens would have know about it. She would have been down there probably climbing in the truck to get the plant!

This time of year some of the plants will get rust but since the leaves are falling off it is generally not a problem. The spraying you gave them should be sufficient in my opinion.

Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here