Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

My plummies are getting big

User
9 years ago

so, from seasoned plummie growers, including Laura, what do you do when they clearly are starting to suffer from being so big in their pots, they are all roots, and I bought them in already.
I didn't cut the leaves off yet, The roots are growing out of the pots so bad. The one plummie, the leaves are yellow now, so I guess it wants to go to sleep.
SHould I just leave them in the smaller pots for the winter since they will go dormant anyway, and repot in spring?
WIll they be alright with very little soil?
Or would you go out and buy new pots and repot them now?
Will they survive the winter that way?
Do you remember Chris Farley when he did his Big Man in little suit routine?
That is how they look. LOL

Comments (6)

• tdogdad
    9 years ago

I would first get rid of the leaves. Without sunshine, the leaves will be drawing water from the stems and branches. I personally do all my root pruning and up potting in February. There are two ways. You can take a keyhole saw and cut to the bottom of the pot about 2" from the pot edge. Pull out the plant and cut 2" off the bottom and re pot with new soil mix. Or you can remove the rootball and lower it into a tub of water. Shake to remove all the soil mix. Now take scissors and cut the roots several inches all around. Now replant. Stake to help support until the roots grow into the new soil. New roots and leaf growth will appear in March/April.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your advise, I will do exactly as you both have said.
    I am going to cut the leaves off tomorrow.
    Then put them away til spring.
    Wow, Laura, you really have alot of plummies. I am amazed.
    I only have 2, so I don't have that much to root prune, but it must take you days to prune yours in the spring.
    Thanks again!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Thank you!!!

Butterfly, If you only have two, you could leave some leaves on until they drop naturally. I have so many that is why I have to cut. ( space for one reason). But you can put yours in a sunny window and see how it wants to deal with dormancy. My sister in law who has a few does it this way and she says some keep the leaves. If you choose to do this and leave the leaves. Watch the water. Cut back, but don't limit. I just wanted you to know you have options when you have a couple. Then in the spring, you can repot prune or pot up.

I do have a lot, cough, cough. It takes me days, weeks to get them all potted up. This summer will be a lot of work. I plan to thin down the herd..

Take care. And good luck!!!

Nice to see you!!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Butterfly,
    I generally let the leaves fall on their own. But just as laura said...if you have leaves you may need to give a small amount of water to reduce dehydration. In the dead of winter (well...what I call winter) I still very lightly water about once a month until most of the the leaves have dropped. Typically in mid January.

Older established plants are more carefree and youngsters/rare hybrids must be watched more closely. Like Bill I root prune in late February and into early March and it seems to work for me. Good luck.

• lbinupland_zone_9
    9 years ago

Actually, while not disagreeing with aforementioned, good advice, I have repotted in late fall without negative consequences and I tend to think it sometimes gives the plant a head start, over spring repotting. If you think repotting is indicated at this time, my opinion is it's a fifty-fifty proposition.

In my area, Singapores as often as not, will hold on to some of their leaves all winter, and I feel that cutting the leaves and the resultant sap bleeding does not do the tree any good, and is possibly detrimental?
    Good luck, LB

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH