Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SoCal overwintering

Posted by torqtjk 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 21:30

For those of you in SoCal, or anywhere for that matter, what are your experiences? should I still be watering my plants? Temps are at 70's or there about in day and low 50's at night. Should I leave plants outside during winter? It never gets below freezing here. I appreciate any tips for overwintering in zone 9-10.

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SoCal overwintering

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LosAngeles (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 2:57

Mine are in the ground, so they stay there. Only when
frost is suspected do I do anything, which is try to
cover them. It's getting almost impossible because they're
so darn big.

Two years ago when we had freezing temps, I covered each
growing tip with a sock until I ran out of them. Now I
have many more growing tips than socks.

Are yours in pots? If so, when there is a chance of frost
or freezing temps, stash them somewhere under cover.

Not doing much watering as of late. Since most of the
leaves will be falling soon, I don't worry about watering.
They're going dormant about now anyway.

o

Should I water at all while the plumerias are in dormancy? Mine are in pots. I like the sock idea! I am a plumeria newbie too; thanks Matt for asking this question as I have been wondering the same thing.

o

I live in Costa Mesa and have about 35 large plants in the ground and several hundred in pots of various sizes. Mine stay out all year and with thousands of tips, I cannot cover them. I have only lost a few plants during rare hard freezes and the last was in 2007. I rarely water in the winter, only if we have a Santa Ana condition. No leaves = no water. These plants are from the Caribbean where long droughts occur during the winter. Bringing pots under a patio cover or a porch will decrease damage from cold. You can also give your plants Armour Kote or Pro-tekt which contain potassium silicate which protects the plant from stress of cold or heat. I put this in my last waterings of the year because I do not have heat problems here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here