Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused trees... Help?!?

Posted by TruNorth7 8b (SF Bay Area) (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 22:28

Hello everyone!
Whoa, can't believe it's been so long since I've been on here! I hope you all had a wonderful summer. Now that the election is over and commentary slowing down, I have a feeling I'll have more "free time" to spend surfing the Plumeria Forum!

Anyways, my issue is this: I have 3 trees that are pushing inflos right now. I'm prepping the trees for their move into the dining room, root pruning and such, but I'm afraid these plumies will abort the inflos due to the shock of moving into the house.

Any advice on how I can encourage them to hang onto those inflos? I need to get them in the house within the next week or so, before cold temps hit.
One of them is a single tip Pacific Pearl that's about 3 feet tall... I really need it to branch!!! It looks like a palm tree right now :/.
Only my Tumbalina is showing any sign of going dormant; the rest are still actively growing and in full leaf. Silly plants!

Thanks so much!

Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused trees... Help?!?

Keep them warm and with good light and hope for the best. I've actually had plumeria cuttings bloom on a shelf in the storeroom before.
Good luck!
Tally HO!

o

you can build a simple pvc stand and use some high wattage CFL lamps on timers to give your plumies extra light during the winter.

o

Thanks Tally and Houston! I'll stick 'em under grow lights and hope for the best.

Thanks again!

Rachel

o

Rachel, I've got several trees blooming right now in my greenhouse, and I don't have any lights in there at all. I do have a heater and keep it around 82 degrees 24/7 (let's not talk about my electricity bill). Some began to bloom outside so I abruptly moved them into the GH with a much warmer temp and the inflo's showed no signs of distress. Others rooted in the GH and pushed inflos, all recently. So, if you weren't already running lights, heat may work as well.

Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here