Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labland

How late can you start cuttings?

labland
13 years ago

Bill, this question is probably for you, but I welcome ALL input. I live in the inland valley, I think it is warmer than where you live, generally, but drier. I went over to Upland Nursery today to look at their plumerias. I had to take a dog to my vet in Yorba Linda, so while I was relatively close by, I decided to stop by.

Lots of plants. Now after seeing their plants, I can see why people graft. They had trees with 5 colors grafted to one tree, with a VERY hefty price of over $500. I wish I could justify that but oh well.

I was hoping to find some cheaper plants, but wasn't particularly impressed with the cheaper trees, to justify buying rooted, vs ordering some cuttings. It seemed a lot of the trees were fairly tall before they branched, and I was concerned on how well they would mature. I didn't have room in my truck, so I didn't end up buying any.

To my question. How late would you order cuttings, i.e. from Jim Little or even Upland Nursery. Or am I better off waiting until March to order any? Unless I can get my sister to bring me some from Hawaii next month when she visits, but she lives in Oahu, and I would like to get known colors, rather than her bringing cuttings from more unknowns.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services