Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Apricot bloom for the ":Rainbow Bridge.."

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share a pic that has been brought to my attention from (Simi) and he just loved my Apricot bloom...so with the wonderful help that he has given and has been there for me during this stressful time dealimg with the loss of my ltiile buddy.. i found this to be the time to show you all what kind of man he is. I read an aritcle about he and his beloved Riley.. I cried so hard reading this true love story and i will say that he has been my rock..

HERE IS HIS APricot that he loves and hereis a pic of pepper whome I truly miss Thank you for being a gentleman during this hard time in my life. I have a few wonderful men who i credit.. and you are one..

{{gwi:6498}}

Thank you George.. I kmow you don'tlike all of this praise, but to do desirve it and when you help someone like me.. i will let evenyone know.. only because i admire you and i give thanks to you for reaching out to me whem you didnt even really know what was wrong with me.

I will be forever thankful to you Riley and your story.. it still brings tears to my eyes you know that i think you are the best!!

Here is a lovely poem that my best friend sent to me.. i read it often and it gives me such comfort to know that i did the right thing and letting Pepper go... I just want to thank you for all that you are and you know i couldnt have made it with out you!! Thank you so much!! (xoxoxo)

You know who you are and i and so thankful... ;-)

)

Here is a little something to help.. two of my favorite pictures..

{{gwi:43328}}

From my best friend in the whole world! Thank you for ever...

~~~ A Dog's Plea ~~~

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,

for no heart in all the world is more grateful

for the kindness than the loving heart of me!

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though

I might lick your hand between blows, your patience

and understanding will more quickly teach me the things

you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's

sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging

of my tail when the sound of your footstep falls upon

my waiting ear

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a

domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to the bitter

elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of

sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you

when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I might stay well, to romp and play

and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready,

willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life

be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy

good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts

to keep me going. I am not having any fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall

leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw that

my fate was always safest in your hands.

~ Beth Norman Harris ~

Pepper's last day was so unexpected ...he was a happy guy and the other day at the vet he called him the "Jack Lalaan" of Minature Dachshunds for his age of 13 years ;-)

My Little Dachshund had a terrible accident a few days ago when he was coming up the stairs. He missed a step and hit his little head wrong and instantly began to curl his feet. The Vet said he hurt his neck and to wait and see if he will come around. Well, he was paralyzed and couldn't do much to help himself, so i had to make the decision to let him go and not suffer anymore.. My DH wanted to wait for a few days to see it he would come around.. But i knew it wasn't going to happen. This went on for four days. A hard decision because i didnt want him to leave me, but a decision made from the love that i have for him and the true love he always gave back. A true Gentleman for 13 years and he left in my arms a relaxed loved little loyal companion.

This is why i have been away.. I'm still bummed and im missing my little garden buddy.. I know he is happy now resting painfree. It just leaves us with a empty hole in our hearts and it will take time for my heart to heal. Thanks to the many friend that have given me so much support and truly understanding the grief from losing a best friend. i couldnt have been lifted like this without you guys. Many Thanks to all of you who have reached out to me. It is hard when me and my hubby have different views on this and i had to wait a few extra days to make him see the need to let him leave with some diginity left. Pepper knew that he was aware of everything and still loved us nd showed his love with kisses and he even wanted to try and do what he wanted, but he couldnt walk , stand, eat or do anything for himself. I spent the last night holding him in my arms so he wouldn't be alone. That made me feel needed and im sure he loved the love as well...

He left me in my arms all ccomfortable and i am happy for that. Hapoy to be there as he left this world. We brought him home and i buried him in between the two large palmtrees in my back yard. He loved to sun outside and find the warmest place on the deck. He is happy now and another friend mentioned that he will be on the "Rainbow bridge" smelling the falling Plumeria blooms and waiting patiently me to join him some day.

Thank you for the true kindness that you have shown to me in my time of sorrow.. I realize that you have had some health issues and i only hope you find a way to deal with your pain. You have such a great attitude that is so strong and gives us all strenght from you ability to deal with the good and the tought times. You are an inspiration to me and i can only hope that i can be as strong as you. Thank you again for always being such a joy to be around.

Mahalo!!

Laura

Comments (22)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Laura
    I know you loved him so much. The right decision is always the hardest and now he is playing pain free. Thank you for that plea it is so true.

Mike

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Laura, I don't know what to say to help you through this time. But know I will be thinking of you, you were the first to talk to me and always have kind words for me and everyone. Take care of yourself.

Mindy

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

It seems so unfair that we have them for such a short while; and that the intensity of the communion we feel with our 4-legged confederates is at its strongest at that place in time when the animated bond is broken.

I understand that his parting leaves its bite on the heart, but I have little doubt that one day you'll meet up again with Pepper. If you can keep that faith, you'll know that your Pepper's absence is much the same as his being off on a temporary ramble abroad.

Al

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Laura, that was so kind, but all I did was share my experience with my best friend, who I lost last year, and shared some thoughts. Pepper got so much love from you, up until the very last moment. He was a lucky dog to have you, as were you, to have one such as he. It will take time, but you will come to a point were you can think about all the joy he gave you for all those years, and not just the pain of the last few days. The time will come. Sounds like you picked a wonderful last resting place for his body. You can tell what a sweet dog he was from the pics.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

That was such a sad story. I am at work and teared up. Lucky nobody saw ...haha...anyway i have such a strong bond with my pets and loosing one is the equivalent of loosing a family member. I would be distraught. My thoughts go out to you in this hard time and yes im sure he is on the rainbow bridge waiting for you :')

Sarah

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Laura,

What a very sad and tragic story. I've never heard of that happening. Perhaps his age had something to do with it? Cat's are made of rubber I swear. But older dogs, probably not so much.

Pepper was lucky to have you as his 'master'. I can't even imagine the difficult choice that had to be made. Thninking of you and hoping that hole in your heart is filled with good things.

Hug that little grandson for us!

Dave

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Laura, I'm so sorry that you lost Pepper, but what a blessing to get to hold him at the end. He certainly knew he was loved!

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Laura,
    I am so sorry for your loss! I can only say that you are such a wonderful person and I know your heart will heal. If there is anything I can do for you, you let me know!

Andrew

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Biggest of all big ((((HUGS))) to you my friend. I'm so sorry for your loss, it is a pain like no other. I hope your heart can be comforted with the memories you two shared, and knowing he is always with you.

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

Laura, my utmost of condolences for the loss of your beloved little friend! I also understand the agonizing grief of having to make such a decision (had to do the same 5 yrs ago for my first dog). Whatever small consolation this may be, you can take heart that Pepper isn't suffering anymore & that he lived a wonderful life surrounded by an equally wonderful family that loved & cared for him. I believe he knew that too ;). May the good Lord comfort you & wrap His loving arms around you & your family ((((hugs)))). Bless you ~ Angharand

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Tons and heaps of hugs and peace to you, Laura. The right decision is most often not the easy one.

Best Wishes and Prayers,
    Wendy

• User
    11 years ago

Laura,
    I don't post on here too often, but I read this forum quite often.
    I am sooo sorry to hear about your little garden buddy.
    I don't even now what to say to comfort you, I can only imagine the pain you are going through right now.
    It's so nice your Pepper wil be in your garden, how nice to know he will be in the place to share your plants with you during the summer.
    I'm sorry.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

You all are simply the best group of garden friends..

I have made so many friends here and i am constantly amazed at the way you all help us all in so many ways.

Not just for me, but for others as well. A close group that is willing to help out in any means they can. This also includes other things that may not include Plumeria...

Mike.. Thank you!! You are so sweet as always!!! So glad to know you!!

Mindy.. I remember talking to you for the first time and i always remember the first time someone responded to me. I always want people to feel welcome just as they did for me when i first came here. Sometimes it feels like it is hard to get a god feel on people, so i always like to help as much as possible and i remember that you followed our advice and now look how you grow!!! : ) I am so proud of you accomplishments. Thank you for you kind words..

Hi AL.. Thank you for your continued support. You have had this loss as well and i know you understand the pain that comes with losing a best friend. ALl i can think about is that he will be there at some point waiting.. Thank you for all that you do and for your kind words. I do appreciate them very much.

SImi (George) You have helped me in so many ways with your beautiful story of Riley. I read that story before i had to put down Pep and it gave me so much strenght as well as a sence of peace that i can't explain. I will always be grateful for you reaching out to me. Thank you so much!!! Ill be waiting on that "Rainbow Bridge" Mahalo!!

Sarah... i can tell you are a sweetheart.. welcome to our forum and i am so glad to see you post. Thank you for the kind thought for me.. It will take time, but all will be fine. He is at peace...(i am the one that isn't at peace!!!)

Hi Dave... My hole will be filled by the love of my Grandson.. you are so right, but it is hard. I guess the tragic way he left and it was so sad to see him like that was the difficult part. Brad wanted to wait, so i had to deal with him and take care of Pep when he was not feeling good. I finally made him see that it isnt about us, it is about them.. so we finally made the decision. He went peacefully in my arms just like any other night...

Thank you.. Give Katie a squeeze..

Hi Jen.. it did make me feel good to know that he was relaxed and not afraid. I was worried, but i held my head up as much as possible to do this for Pep. Hardest thing i have ever had to do beside talking my father into letting go when he died from cancer.. oh, the pain.

ANdrew,,, You are so sweet and i know you would do anything for me. ai appreciate that very much. I want you to feel better and get strong for your surgery next month. I will be fine, i just need to heal my broken heart. My good friend says that it can take awhile, we just do the best we can and remember the good times.. that is what im doing.. Thank you so much!!!

Emily... Thank you for the wonderful kind words of comfort. You are so sweet and i miss seeing you here. Please keep in touch!! ; )

Angharand.. You made me tear up with your beautiful post. Thank you so much.. I hope to see you around here more often. Mahalo!!

Thank you Wendy... ANother "sweetie" I have finally realized that i did make the right decision.. my DH kind of made it difficult because he wanted to keep him longer than he should have. I had to convince him that Pep wasnt happy when he couldnt do anything for himself anymore. What kind of masters woud let him live like that? aNot me.. i loved him to much to see him suffer like that. Hard choice, but the right one.. Thank you!!

Thank you Butterfly4u.. your words are very comforting and it makes me feel good that you posted just to say hi!! Kindness shows when you just say what is on your mind.. so thank you for taking the time to say what is needed.. it does help me.

ALl of your kind words have helped.. I can see the ones here that have posted that are truly special.. Thank you for everything!! It means so much to me.

xoxoxox

Laura

"Thank You" for all of the kind and supportive words to help me deal with lossing my dear friend. It is still hard, but to those who have animals, we all know how close and what love they give and they never ask for anything in return except for good ole love...

My Plumeria Protector will be outside watching over all of my garden form now on... I love you Pepper!!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your dog Laura. Poor little guy, the thought of him hitting his little head... :(

I know how it feels to loose a pet. I lost a calico cat that I loved very much 6 years ago in September from an illness. She meant a lot to me an I cried like a baby for several days because she was special to me. But luckily 9 months later I found (well not literally found, I got her from a breeder) a new feline friend who means just as much to me as my previous one and much more. She is like a little person in a cat suit who follows you around like a dog -- sometimes I swear she is a little dog in some ways. :) It's now been 5 years since I've had her and she is still spry as a little kitten.

Below is a picture of the one that mended my heart from my previous lost.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Laura, my heart goes out to you. I have been where you are. It was a hard decision, but it was the right one. Pepper went to sleep, knowing you were there. His spirit will remain with you forever. Barbra

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kim... Thank you!! I love your new little feline friend!! She is beautiful!! Love her eyes!!!

Im sure one day i will have a new friend, but for now... i will wait.

Barbra...You are so nice!!! I always enjoyy receiving an email from you!! You are so willing to help everyone out.. I think you are a very generous kind, giving soul!! Thank you for all you do!! I hope you feel better.

My mother's surgery on her shoulder was postponed because of a blood count issue that will be checked next week. Hopefully she will be fine for surgery at a latter date. Seems the White cell count was low.. UGGG!

K, thanks for the kind email.. You are so nice!! I reply soon!! My eyes are getting tired now..

Thank you to all that truly care.. I can tell the ones who are dogs lovers and or animal lovers.. Thank you for the kind post!!

Everyday is a better day.. right Jen?

Simi, What can i possibly say? I loved that arrangement!! it was so beautiful and when i opened my email i was flying and i know everyone looked at me cux my eyes were full of tears.. SOOO sweet! I love those colors. I owe you an email too. Im so tired now, but i will get to you tomorrow. I had a busy afternoon and my garden buddy wore me out!!! ;-)

Take care everyone!!!

Laura

I do have some good news.. MY JL DON HO has Rooted finally!!! YEA!!!!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hello Laura,

I've been away for a while and was heart broken to see this news. I too lost a beloved pet this year after 13 wonderful years. It certainly leaves a huge hole not only in your heart but also in the daily life in the house..... It took me two weeks to finally stop preparing a bowl of food for him when I fed my 2 other dogs. I would start and suddenly realize that he was no longer there.

You are in my thoughts and my heart goes out to you :(

Nicole

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Congrats on you Don Ho rooting. My Celadine and Divine are still flowering but very light colors.

Mindy

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Nicole... It is hard. I constanty look in the covers on the couch to make sure im not sitting on him..then i remember.. when i go out to the garage, i stop to make sure he/or was inside before i locked up.. i hope this will end soon. I also think about feeding. My hubby swears that he heard him bark the othernight.. i know, strange...

I am truly sorry for your loss.. they are our family!!! Thank you so much!! You are such a nice person.. how are you doing? Plumies? Metallica? ;-)

Mindy.. i am very happy for the JL Don Ho!!! Made my day... but another friend/friends made my day as well! Thank you P AND P ;-) YOu are the best!!! xoxoxox

I hope you are doing well and i cant wait to see pics of your trees!! This year will be a wonderful year for you!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Laura, I've only had one long-term pet and we had to put him down six years ago. To this day we still can't bring ourselves to get rid of his things. Every once in a while I run across his old toys and yesterday I found some of his fur in an old paper bag--his favorite "hiding place".

And Nicole, I'm so sorry you lost a friend, too, but so nice to see you back here! It was months before I stopped expecting to feel a little paw patting me when I sat on the sofa, begging for an ear scratch!

Thankfully, it does get a tiny bit better every day. And thankfully we have good friends who surprise us ;)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I just wanted to say that "YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME"

Love to you all....

Laura :-)

• starofleviathan
    11 years ago

Aloha dear Laura! How are you fairing dear heart? I went through the same thing when I had to put down my first dog; for about a month afterwards we kept thinking we saw him out of the corner of our eye in the hallway or we'd hear him bark, or see him running in the yard. I was still arranging my schedule around when he had to be fed & I would still try to avoid where he used to lay every night when I'd come downstairs. I knew it was his time to go & had made my peace with it but the hardest thing afterwards was seeing how it affected my folks who were very attached to that dog. It's strange how the human heart acknowledges loss more readily than the mind is able to. Time may ease it but never erase it.

I'm happy to see there's so many wonderful, caring people on here to bolster one another when the chips are down :). God bless each of you.

~ Angharand (or Ang or MMP, whichever is easier).

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA