Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
askafasl

First Dormancy

askafasl
10 years ago

Hello again!

So this will be my first winter/dormancy for my plumerias. I've read a few suggestions on how to handle the dormant period but I'd like some more input. I'm in So Cal, and most of my plumerias haven't really dropped any leaves. Maybe some lightening here and there but not much dropping (all of them have stopped growing new leaves though). I wanted to cut the leaves and bring them inside until March or so, but I'm not sure if it's better to just leave them outside until all of their leaves fall off. Plus chopping off all those nice leaves makes me sad. ):

I have enough space either way. I could also bring them inside WITH their leaves but what a mess that would be (and bugs, ew). Although they could probably stay outside the whole year, I'm a little worried about rain and chilly temps. I know you shouldn't water them during dormancy, and I don't want to be caught by a surprise rain shower and have them all rot... Where I am it can get quite windy and wet too, which also worries me (definitely think they might rot and or/freeze a bit if this year is particularly wet). I don't have much freedom to move them back and forth so either they are going inside or staying outside!

So anyone else in So Cal, what is your typical routine?

Also, how should I be tapering off watering? I still water them like I did in late summer about once a week. I give a bit less water to the ones that have dropped some leaves.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hello

I have read this a few times and decided to not reply so as to leave it up at the top for the SoCal people to see. Its been a few days so Ill chime in with my opinions/advice. I dont know your climate but if you do get chilly and rainy then yes rot is very possible. If you would like to have some peace of mind and not worry about them then I would do this.
    cut the leaves off and treat with an insect spray. I use neem oil
    Store you plumies somewhere between 40 and 65 degrees and let them sleep until spring. I am storing most all of mine in a tool room on the southside of my barn that gets pretty much no light except for a few overhead florescent lights if I leave them on. It stays 45 degrees in there with a heater. It may get warmer if the outside temps rise but Im not worried.
    DO NOT water them if you store this way unless they show signs of severe wrinkling.
    On the other hand i have a couple in the greenhouse that does not get below 60 and they are blooming like mad.
    There are others here that store in the house with temps probably in the 60-70 degree range with maybe a little bit of light and they just sleep all winter.

so basically cold and wet equals dead plumies. Avoid that and you will do just fine.

mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

askafasl...what part of SoCal? roxanne

• askafasl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input, Mike!

Roxanne - I'm near the coast, so it's not exactly rain I'm worried about, but moreso fog and general wetness. It's common now for the plumerias to get a lot condensation all over them during the night that I worry might be a problem if it starts happening all the time in winter, which I think it definitely will. At least the mites hate it, hehe. It's also why I thought just keeping them under an awning wouldn't work, it may stop rain but it won't stop all that condensation. Not to mention the cold.

As I said I'm unfortunately not at a lot of liberty to move them back and forth. I think I'll sadly be trimming some leaves this weekend and saying goodnight to the poor sticks for a few months. That way I can have some peace of mind about temps and weather.

On a happier note, I stumbled on a huge lone plumeria today that apparently still thinks it's August. :)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Well, I asked because I am in Ventura, we get a lot of fog. I have never brought any inside for the winter OTHER than those that are just barely trying to root that I started after July. If you are close to Ventura, please come to our small informal plumeria gatherings. mahalo, roxanne