Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florian_gw

Plumeria cutting already rotting while drying

Florian
10 years ago

I returned with 3 cuttings from Thailand two weeks ago and after making the cut, the cuttings have been exposed to fresh air only. Yesterday I checked the cuttings that still wait to be planted and recognized that the stem has already been rotten.

When looking at the cutting it seems as if it has been dried out at the very end, shriveled and contracting towards the middle of the stem. This contraction and shriveling has led to a tear/crack, so that the tissue like inner of the stem was not covered by the dried layer anymore.

When looking on images of cuttings on the internet it seems as if the cuts are almost flat with no tears, protecting the stem from rotting.

I removed parts of it so that only white and healthy looking parts were left. No I wonder what I can do to let the cutting dry without building tears/cracks.

- Should I put them on a heating or will this dry out the stem too quick? Will covering the cutting (without the cut itself) with a moist towel prevent the shriveling while enabling the cut to dry in "perfect" condition?

- Should I seal the cut somehow?
- Should I try to root without drying? What rooting method would then be the best?
- Should I try with some fungicide? Cinnamon? Coal? Chemics?

I hope you get the point as my english really isn't that good.

Lots of thanks to anyone who can give advice.

Comments (13)

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

I understand that the best way is right after you do the cutting is to dip it into dry compost and let it just lay around to cure for a few weeks. Then place it into soil but keep the soil on the dry side until it starts to put on leaves, then start your watering process. If it is rotting just cut that off back to the good "wood" and dip it into some dry compost as it cures better.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Are you sure its rot? the description to me sound more like drying out too quickly. Perhaps a humidity chamber would help (rudimentary...a covered plastic bin with a heat mat, some damp towels, and something to lay the cuttings on which keeps it above the damp towels).

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am quite sure that it is rot. When I cut off back to the good part I can see that it is all brown and very soft inside and starting to change its structure.

But drying to quickly might be indeed the reason. Maybe by drying to quickly the appearing cracks allow moisture to get into the cutting.

I have now placed them in a humid box and dusted two of the cuttings with sulfur to avoid fungus. I will keep you up to date and I will post a few pictures the following days. Perhaps this will provide more information and maybe someone with a more trained eye might give some prognosis.

Maybe it is just imagination but it seems to me that the tips have a more and fresh greenish look compared to the day I cut them off the trees.

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I have taken some picture of the three cuttings. All of them have been dipped into Clonex gel after dusting with sulfur has not worked as it should: I had to cut of another inch to remove the parts that started to rot.

Now all three cuttings look quite good though the first one is a bit soft, but not only at the bottom from top to bottom. Maybe it has lost too much water.

Though two cuttings look rather brown at the cut face, they are really firm. The change of color occured within minutes after dipping into Clonex, so I think it might be a reaction with some of the incredients.

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 1: Plumeria rubra cutting - only 3-4 inch left and most likely not going to survive ;(

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 1: Different angle

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 2: Forming pretty much wrinkles

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 2: Different angle

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 3: This looks quite good to me.

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cutting 3: Different angle

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does someone with more experience and an experienced eye see if there is some callous forming out? I really have no clue what it should look like before one can think of rooting the cuttings.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I think you have a good shot with the second cutting, a 50/50 with the first one. Your best bet is to put them into dry coir or perlite in a water bottle or clear plastic cup and put that on a heating mat. Mist the cuttings a couple times a day and if there's no sign of rot after a couple weeks, assume there's some callus on the ends and moisten the medium a bit.

• Florian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd like to keep you up to date and thank those people that gave advice so far. Though only 3 days have past since the last post and the pictures, I'd like to provide a new picture of the third cutting because I think it starts to build some nice callous, as the cut face started to "swell" somehow.

Shortly after recutting the stem the inner and outer stuff contracted while the thin wodden-like "ring" remained as is. This still can be seen on the first picture of cutting 3 - the thin ring is sticking out.

Todays picture clearly shows that the inner and outer stuff overtop the ring.

The other two cuttings unfortunately don't show this promising behaviour. I will give all three of them another couple of days before potting them.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor