Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trip_kc

Plumeria Dormancy

trip_kc
11 years ago

Hi everybody
I have started raising plumeria this year itself and own 4 rooted cuttings and 4 grown up plants.
Winters had set in at my place with night temp falling below 5� celcius with dense fog.
contrary to normal growth habits this plumeria refuses to go into dormancy and continues to put on new growth.Presently she is kept on open terrace.
Please suggest what shall I do to save it from chilling winters.

Comments (5)

• Richard
    11 years ago

bring it inside if you can...give it more time the leaves will fall I noticed some of the more "common" plumerias can handle cold more than your fancy or harder to find ones.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Trip, your plant looks great! They will go dormant, I don't necessarily believe in forcing them into dormancy. I think Walley is right, some can handle it longer than others, and if you have one of those great hardy ones, let it weather the storm, or cut the leaves and bring it inside. (stop watering if you go that route)

Wendy

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks friends
    I am relieved after knowing that this is common.
    Decided not to interfere and let her slip into dormancy on it's own.Watering will be reduced to cope up with changed scenerio

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Trip, I was looking closer at the pic, it almost looks like a Singapore, they don't typically loose leaves during the winter. Hard to tell with the pic, but just a thought in case you never loose em and start to worry.

Wendy

• trip_kc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You may be right Wendy
    I have seen few grown up trees at my place who had not shed their leaves.Maybe my plumie is also of that family

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?