Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

Black mouldy spots??

sbrow156
11 years ago

HI everyone!

Merry Christmas!! Hope you all had a good one?? We sure did. We went to my mums place for christmas eve dinner with my sis and partner and over hubbys mothers place for big christmas day lunch. Very nice family time and lots of pressies. My mother in law gave me some nice pots and potting mix....ahhh that shall only fuel my DR and plumeria obsession :P anyway I had started noticing my Fruit salad began to get black mouldy looking spots on the leaves. And then it just spread real quick and now its on all the leaves. The stalks and such seem fine but the leaves are just? well you can see from the pictures...anyway i have had tons of trouble with this plant. When i first got it it was a 3 prong rooted cutting in a pot from bunnings and it looked fine. It looked like someone had pruned a couple of the prongs hoping them to branch out which they had but only one of the branches had kept going the other seemed to have died off so it was still 3 prong (if u know what i mean?) Then after i got it one of the prongs seemed to just rot in the middle and fall off so i cut it off below the rotted bit thinking it would branch out again. It began to swell at one point and look like it was going to branch and then didnt so i dont know whats up with that now...but i think it has some sunburn on one side of the trunk which it had when i got it which i think gave it a bit of character. Anyway now its got all these black spots. So what do you think they are and what should i do about them? It still seems to be growing and everything...also happy new year!! for tomoro night :)

Sarah

Comments (13)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

top of leaf

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

underneath of the leaf

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah,

Happy holidays to you as well! Kind of quiet here on this forum now, as most of us here in the Northern Hemi have put our plumies to sleep for the winter.

Some others on here may be better able to speak to what exactly causes those spots. I can only say that, although I strive to give my trees the very best care, still, I often get blemishes on their leaves. Sometimes the cause is apparent (usually some tiny insect presence) but other times not. With respect to these spots that you have, I get them too, but have never been able to figure out why they appear. I don't think it's insect damage, but again, I could be wrong.

The good news is that it won't prevent solid growth, development, or flowering. Whatever it is, it's merely unsightly.

Good luck, and post pics when you get blooms!

Greg

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

I think this is a fungal leaf spot issue. You can search the archives for previous discussions of fungal versus bacterial leaf spots and see similar photos.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

It looks very much like Black Spot, which we get on roses here in the US. There is some kind of fungicide I usually spray the roses with that often helps. It seems to be caused by cool humid conditions, at least here on the West Coast of the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Spot

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I don't know about plumerias, but this is what you use on roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: fungicide

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah!!!

I use Bayer 3 in 1 insect, Disease and Mite Control..

Here is a link..

I use the spray that attaches to the hose during the summer. Inside i use the spray and only use when i have the windows open and keep all animals and humanss away for a while. I dont worry much about mine.. they are all upstairs and noone goes up there. But please be careful and read the instructions!!!

Good Luck..

My Plumeria get those spots usually at the end of the season like DelWH says, cool, humid conditions cause this.

Hope this helps..

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Advanced Insect, Disease & Mite Control

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I agree on the leaf fungus. I guess Northern Australia is living up to its hot and humid summers.

I have used any kind of systemic fungicide which says it can treat ornamentals, or Vincas and/or Oleanders for preventative treatment. This typically comes in a granular form. I have even used the turf grass fungicide without ill effect.

For foliar application I have also used the Bayer 3 in 1 product or Neam Oil. Look to your newest leaves to find out if you have it under control.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had alook at the newest leaves and they seem to be fine. I will go looking for some stuff to spray on it. Glad to know its not life threatening for the plant though. I also have a pink cutting that i think has finally rooted as the leaves that were tiny are growing and starting to open up at the top :) Yay happy plummy new year for me :D

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah, I agree with the others that this is relatively harmless by itself.

I did notice that it was a precursor to black tip on my Singapore Obtusa. So it could mean that your conditions are also favorable for black tip... however I've personally never seen black tip on anything *except* my Singapore.

Good luck!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Sarah,

My 2 story tall Celadine has the same issue every year. I use to spray it with Fungaway Systemic (Had Bayleton in it) and it would cure the issue. Since Fungaway is banned now I use Bayer 3 in 1 which works but not as well as a Systemic Fungicide by itself.

Cheers

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Follow up....because the new leaves didnt seem to have spots..before going out and buying some stuff to spray on it i did an experiment and just cut off all the leaves that had black spots on them....it has now grown tons of new leaves and none at all have black spots!! Hmmm shall keep monitoring it anyway but cutting off the bottom leaves has really made it grow fast aswell!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area