Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Greenhouse Update

the_first_kms2
11 years ago

Hi everyone I hope things are well. Seeing that the world didn't end today I thought I would share some things about how my plants are weathering the cooler temps.

So this morning was by the TV news in the low 30s at a weather station nearby and by my temp sensors in the back yard was 36 and no frost damage on plants but I did see some cars and a few rooftops with frost early this morning.

However the Pop up greenhouse for all the smalls stayed a balmy 55 with a small 750 watt heater and fan. When its fully buttoned up I am having some condensation issues even with the fan. Anyone have suggestions? All in all I would recommend others in a same/simlar climate to me to look for one of these pop ups versus bringing things into the garage or house.

The bigs are in a "Home Depot Special" (2x4s and polycarbonate sheet sides) with one "door" and skirt of 6mil plastic . The plastic skirt can be opened for added ventilation. I have been in and out of this one so its not fully closed up nor does it have a heater or fan in it yet. It got down to 41 degrees.

I guess the only difference between the Mayan end of an age and Y2K was nobody I knew woke up with a hangover. I better get Christmas shopping...thanks to the Mayans I behind the curve.

Comments (12)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

looking good!!

dont give up too quick on the end of the world. The calendar ends at Midnight so there may still be a chance, LOL

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Mike..Hi K,

I gues i made it then.. Time is 109 am.. Maybe i am dreaming all of this and im really not here.. Maybe ill go and wake the hubby to see? LMAO Tha will tell me if im dreaming!!! LOL...

Looks good K!!!bb

Mike i stared sime Gareneias for you.. lll tske s few more cuttings for you too@

I need to go abck to wendy's post to let hr knw we sre tslking sbout thr resl zgsrgenias, nit zplumeria smellimg oes... she has started such a huge businesss, so i dont esnt her to think e sre tslking zplumies.. i plan to send her some businness... im so pround of ehst she has accmplished!!!

Hope all is wekk!!!

Merry CHristmas to you all!!

Laura

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Laura, is this a new dialect of English, a post-Apocalypse version? A Mayan/English cross perhaps? LOL

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

LOL. Del I was thinking the same thing.

Laura thank you so much.

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

K I love the greenhouse. What a great idea, we only need protection a few months. Then its easy to store the months when not in use. My plants are still outside at the coast waiting to be brought inside. I removed all their leaves. Barbra

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi K,
    Looking good! I need a permanent greenhouse here in western NY. Only about 2-3 more months of this crappy cold weather and then it's SPRING! I cannot wait! I HATE THE WINTERS IN NY state!

I cannot wait for my Gardenia Laura! I love these bushes! They are super fragrant but you know this all ready! Anyhow, woke up to about 3 in. of snow on the ground! YUCK! Why were you up so late Laura? I hope your not up coughing like crazy!

Hi Mike and Del, this might be a Nyquil induced haze for Laura. I know she has a cold and maybe she is just pooped out? I know since Tuesday I haven't slept more than a an hour or 2 at a time, I know I couldn't type to save me..lol! There are times when I come here at night sleep deprived but I wont post, in fear of it coming across as mumbo jumbo that nobody will understand! LOL!

Hi Barbra,
    I haven't chatted with you in some time. My 'Bill Moragne' is fully dormant right now, even with it under my 600 watt HPS light. I am hoping it will wake up in another month or 2 so it has the chance to get a head start for next year. I admire your coastal weather conditions. How long do you have to keep your trees protected over the winter?

Andrew

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Andrew I keep them inside Jan and Feb, and bring them out in March. If I lived there, then I would keep them outside until we got a feeze. Last year we did not get a freeze. Since I am not there, I have to protect them, so I will bring them inside again this year. I am leaving 6 plumeria that are planted in the ground outside, and will only dig them up if we have a freeze. The ones in the pots need to go inside, because they are not 2 years old. Next year they will also stay outside in the ground. I have removed the leaves from all my plumeria. The botantical gardens in Corpus removes all the Plumeria leaves the week of Thanksgiving, so I did too. Barbra

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Ha! I understood Laura's post, didn't you?! Lol, maybe it is the bourbon/decaf greentea concoction I have brewed up, I am sick of this cold and am determined to kill it off- so mayby Laura and I are speaking the same language. Plus my toddler was also sick and a total disaster today, so perhaps the bourbon was a little heavy handed. (this coming from a non hard A drinker, wish me luck)

On topic, that pop up tent looks great and you are getting some really nice temps in there, well done. I am jealous of your condensation issues, K, you must have that thing sealed up really well. All I can suggest is to make some small holes, I know there are small gaps in mine, I struggle to keep the humidity up. Be warned, you keep it too humid/moist without a fan and the gnats will magically appear. Your plants inside look awfully nice, are we sure it is winter?

Hoping everyone is ready for Christmas, sure is coming quickly!!

Best,
    Wendy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Ok. First of all i had to laugh at myself. Boy... That was a "crytic" post.. LMAO!!

Had lunch with Peg this afternoon and she mentioned this post.

Honestly, i didn't remember it at all and we sat and searched this during lunch..

OK. Here are the excuses.

Mayan aliens took over my body and took me on a quick trip to Tulum and back.. so i was "out of sorts" :-)

NO? dont believe that one? ok..

How about my grandson was helping me type when he was up at 1 am?

No?

Ok... My excuse...besides my laptop buttons are sticking, i was sick with a bad cold and yes, ANdrew was right.. really bad cough. I had some "adult" cough medicine and i guess i didn't watch the keys as well as i should have!! LMAO. The keyboard is still sticking, don't understand why?

Wendy.. YOU are my girl!!! I laughed so hard when you said you could read my message... We must have had the same meds.. :-)

I am feeling better, but this keyboard is still giving me problems... :-)

Sorry K for messing up your thread...

Take care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Laura your a hoot. I've had the flu for the past 7 days, and I can relate with your message. K, do you think your portable greenhouse would hold up at the coast? The wind is the only thing that I am worried about, how did yours hold up this week after our hight winds? Did you order it on line? I got a gift certifcate from Lowes for Christams, if I can only remember where I put it. Barbra

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Barbara isn't the the trouble with gift cert's?!

Laura, we all have sticky keyboards now and again, lol.

Happy New Year Everyone, it will be Spring before we now it!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Too funny about Laura playing the show "Brain Games" with us. Laura, I don't think you could ruin a post even if you tried. And just for the record there are several large Plumeria trees in Tulum.

I do have additional venting panels on each side to control the condensation but had them closed due to the cold morning. You can seem them in this picture.

Barbra, it did just fine in high winds. It has an anchor system which is quite robust and very similar to tent anchors. I think it would be fine to use in a windy spot. You can see the bottom skirt can be anchored down as well as tie downs on the sides. I chose not to use the outside ties. Just the inside ties plus i wheeled my plumeria cart over the inside skirt so its not going anywhere. If you were really concerned you could use larger tent stakes or even rebar. The brand name is Flower House and they have quite a few sizes on Amazon and probably some other places too.