Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

egg method

rox146
11 years ago

Aloha out there...just some info to pass along...I read last year about the egg rooting method and tried it on some hard to root ones...total 100% success. Now when I am rooting a cutting even at the wrong time of the year...I use the egg. Did 1 with and 1 w/o and remarkable difference between the 2.
Anyone else trying it? When I transplant a year later, the egg is empty but still a whole shell so I leave it alone. rox146

Comments (13)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I have done this for years. I do like the results. The only negative I have seen is when the darn egg breaks under the heat of my HPS light...can you say STINKY!! OMG, this makes me not want to use eggs anymore for rooting!

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Some how my message didn't get sent thru correctly. I am so sleep deprived, I probably just messed up..lol! I meant to say that I have been using the egg method for almost 3 years.

Andrew

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have never smelled any problem but I am on the coast in California...have tried the baggy method and the clear plastic container and do have to admit...I like this the best for me and my conditions....

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I dont get the egg method totally. Why does an egg help? Is it the shell or the yolk? Chemistry or method I am not getting.

Mindy

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Minderella,

There are 400-600 pores in the egg shell and the "good" vapors that leak out seem to be really good for the roots trying to go. If you google it, the long explanation is there and has been used in rooting I guess for many years. Give it a try...rox

• wrcaz
    11 years ago

Mindy,
    I saw this on the web earlier in the week. I haven't tried this method yet but it does sound interesting.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: egg method

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Bill (wrcaz),
    please pm me. I got a question for you. I cannot pm you because your page is not set up.

Thanks,
    George

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

all of my "egg method" cuttings are still pushing new growth. It is to be 37 tonight here and so all 160 are covered with a sheet. Now I am curious if the egg even helps in this situation. rox146

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I have tried the egg method, and have not seen any difference in rooting or flowering vs. rooting without an egg. Only difference I have seen is an empty egg shell reamining when transplanting the rooted stock to a larger pot the following year.
    But, I only root from spring to August here in Texas.
    No problems with heat here! LOL
    Just my 2 cents.
    Lonnie

• wrcaz
    11 years ago

So do you think this would be something to do when transplanting into the ground? Would a couple eggs be in ?order if I tried this. Only at about 50% success so far with rooting cuttings so will try this method later on in spring.

Bill

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have put 2 eggs in the ground when putting BIG cuttings in the ground in the spring...notice a big difference and do not have to cut off the inflos as they all keep growing and blooming. I guess to each his own and his own conditions....I am convinced for my area. rox

• beachplant
    11 years ago

So as part of my rooting experiment earlier in the year I did one batch of cuttings with eggs and one batch without. Both sets of cuttings came from the same vendor. I've lost 5 out of 35 cuttings. None of the cuttings with eggs died and are all currently leaved out. Three of those bloomed, one is still blooming for that matter.

So, for me, eggs worked it seems. They are all in identical mixes, sitting next to each other in the same location.

Heat sure isn't a problem. It was 76 yesterday lol! 68 when I got up this am.

Tally HO!

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so glad to see someone else likes it as well. I have doen it for 2 years now and even with "the hard to root" it seems to work better for me. It is cold now in California and I have the last 5 I rooted only in September late that are happy as can be with the egg method and they are in our sunroom instead of outside and pushing like crazy. rox