Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rooftopbklyn

compact / miniature / dwarf varieties

I live in a small apartment in a big city (new york). Too many plants, though fortunate enough to have a small private roof space, and a small indoor space with decent fluorescent light.

I'm interested in hearing about your favorite, smallest varieties. So far I've found the Singapore Dwarfs, and Dwarf Deciduous White, but I'm sure there are others that may not have "Dwarf" in their name. I don't have a specific size requirement in mind, but, in general, smaller is better.

Also am extra interested in any pointers towards where I might find seeds for any of them. I've been having a great time with Adenium seedlings (so fun to watch them develop), and want to try growing some of the smaller plumeria varieties as well. I've checked with Brad's Buds and Blooms and Maui Plumeria Gardens so far to no avail, but perhaps it's not a great time of year to find seeds.

I did find and purchase some "Dwarf Siam Yellow" seeds (quite reasonable) on Amazon of all places, from one of their marketplace sellers. The listing didn't exactly inspire confidence, but I did receive them and we'll see what happens. Anyway, very interested in any reputable sources for seeds of compact varieties.

thanks,
Daniel

Comments (5)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HI Daniel! !

You will probably finds seeds when other members offer them like I did on the Adenium forum. Hard to know if you will find compact seeds available but if you are looking for a few varieties that I/ we like here on the Plumeria forum, most will chime in With their favorites.

Divine from Jungle Jacks nursery in California is a awesome compact variety. I love mine! it is a beautiful low growing multi stemmed tree. You might even think about ordering a one gallon tree in the spring or see if someone might send you a cutting this spring!!! ;-). Divine is really easy to root and we can help you there as well..

Im Sure others will let you know about their favorites!!

Welcome to the Plumeria forum!!!

Take care,

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

My Divine is still blooming and my mini white and Thumbalina have seedpods maturing. I am also a fan of Dwarf Singapore Pink. It blooms 8+ months out of the year and is quite managable in size by my standards.

A few years ago there was only Divine, and Mini White but now I think there are a few more being offered by Jungle Jacks. They have nicely shaped green leaves and generally take the full Texas sun. Thumbalina seems be the only one with leaf burn during peak summertime.

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both! I had found Dwarf Singapores, but not Jungle Jack's. Just checked out his SIX (!) different miniatures. ohmy .

Daniel

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hey, Daniel, welcome to the forum!

You can't go wrong with Divine and Dwarf Singapore Pink. The others aren't proven to be as reliable for blooming yet, but there are many owners of Divine and DSP who are thrilled with theirs.

A word of warning on seedlings: they do not necessarily have the traits of their parents. A dwarf variety can produce offspring that are tall and lanky, and vice versa. You'll know in the first year by watching the seedlings' growth patterns. Still, you never know!

Good luck with your project, and please post pics of your rooftop paradise when you get some plants settled up there!

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jandey! I do understand that you never really know what you'll get from seeds, and that cuttings (rooted or not) are a sure thing, but for now I'd be happy to start some seeds and watch them grow. Recently got a few Adenium seedlings going, and it's been fun to watch them. I want to do the same with plumeria.

However, all this Divine talk has me wanting the real thing and considering trying both methods :) I will likely buy a plant or cutting in the spring, for some more immediate gratification while I watch seedlings grow.

I'll find a picture of the roof from this summer. No plumeria, but plenty of other things. Too many, in fact ;) and this is why I'm interested in miniature/dwarf plumies. It already requires care to navigate without bumping plants but somehow I keep finding space for "just one more". I dream of having a yard some day.

Daniel

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH