Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

Lost Of Shipped Plumies

Minderella
11 years ago

About ten days ago I ordered some plumeria plants. They both got seized by the government. That upsets me and the seller. There was a 4 tip Elsie, and a Kimo. FedEX was the shipping place. All I know is it says it "was delivered to a government warehouse. So 2 beautiful plumies are just gonna die or someone got some free plumies. The seller is refunding my money but that is not the problem. Stupid fedex people. :(

Mindy

Comments (15)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy,
    So sorry to hear that your plants are being held/siezed. Only knowing the little bit you posted I am not so sure it was Fedex who goofed. Especially if it was an international shipment. They may have been directed to take the package there.

There could be lots of reasons for it so I would just say I think you have a fair seller if they are refunding your money.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

What country did they come from?

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

california

• DelWH
    11 years ago

That's really strange. Perhaps they suspect they are medical marijuana? LOL

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Mindy,
    I'm sorry about your plants. I've heard that California has become strict on bringing in plant material, but shipping out...????? You might be able to get more information if you talk to a person at FedEx. Maybe even find an avenue to save the them. At least, you'd be able to determine the problem for future acquisitions. If you find anything out, please let us know.
    Gail

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Florida has strict import laws I now know. I knew about citrus and fruit trees but never thought of Plumerias. Oh well you learn something new everyday. Like I said I am upset seller lost good plants.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Mindy,
    Did you get an official printed notice from the Ag Dept in FL?
    Usually if your order gets confiscated by the Stage Ag dept you will get an empty box with a notice attached or you will get written notice without the box.
    I had a package of cuttings I ordered in Sept 2004 and it was confiscated by the Ag dept without notice. Come Feb 2005, 5 mon later I receive a package and low and behold it was my order from Sept. The package had been opened and taped back shut and there was a letter/notice in it and my cuttings. Unfortunately out of 12 cuttings only 5 were semi hard the rest were all dried out not viable. There is a chance unless you received a written notice that you may still receive your package at some point and time.

Good Luck

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

when you said government I immediately thought federal and assumed it was international. that why I asked what country.

wow florida is pretty strict.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Too funny... California can seem like a foriegn country to many.

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have not gotten a notice. I will wait and see what happens.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Mindy,

If you do not get an empty box with a notice or a notice mailed to you then Id wait and see as the Ag dept has to send something. There may be just a hang up for what ever reason. At least the seller refunded you, the seller I bought from did not so it was a pleasant surprise to get even part of my order even 5 months later.

Cheers

• beachplant
    11 years ago

When I lived in Hawaii I still paid the bills on my house here in Texas. The cable company sent my check back with a note saying they didn`t accept checks from foreign countries! Perhaps noone ever told Florida that California became a state?
    Tally HO!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

So I have looked into this and found a really great resource: nationalplantboard.org. Further, in speaking with the inspectors that check on things at the farmers markets, I have learned Florida has strict control on ag products in order to prevent the spread on brown snails. Such good information! Cannot blame them, snails are everywhere here, do you have many where you live Mindy? FL actually requires a 30 day quarantine on all plants shipped to the state unless you have a certain type of certification. I found this shocking. Haven't some of you exchanged plants to people in FL without this kind of trouble?

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread Mindy, very interesting stuff.

Wendy

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes I do have alot of snails. I don't know what would be special about other states brown snails. Mine that get into veggie garden are brown.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

It's possible that people who have exchanged with Floridians didn't mark the packages as having agricultural products in them, just mailed a Postal flat rate box like any other box sent.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!