Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

Late winter

tdogdad
10 years ago

Here it is the winter solstice, Dec. 21, and here in Costa Mesa California out of several hundred plumerias, I have none that are dormant. About two dozen plants are now showing yellow leaves and are dropping some. Many are still totally green. One G.S. and a Teresa Wilder look to be the first to go bare within the next few days. Of course, "Psycho" is still totally green with several hundred happy white flowers- oblivious to reality. A few others have meager, wimpy flowers. It appears that temperature has some role in this as this is very late. We have had mini warm days on and off or they see me wearing shorts and flip-flops and are fooled. Bill

Comments (10)

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

Bill, I have the same thing happening with mine.....most of my plants still have green leaves, inflos, and buds. One of them, the tallest got frost, even though I had it by my back porch window and made sure it was covered(I used the felt side of one of an old, plastic tablecloth) before that frosty night.
    There are still some parts that are viable(I used the "prick test"), should I cut them off now, or wait until Spring? All the others were kept indoors, in my living room and I have been watering them occasionally. I'll be waiting to hear your suggestion.
    Always grateful for your help,
    Annamaria

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annamaria- If you are sure you have rot, if it hardens over and does not move down the plant, leave it. If it is soft or if it spreads downward at all, start cutting. I just cut until i hit green wood, then clean my knife and make one more thin cut.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Lol Bill. Late Winter is right! :). We should be in the low 70's for several days. Have a Merry Christmas

Chuy

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Oh I wish I had your weather bill. That is great!!
    We got a 1/2 to 3/4" of ice yesterday. I spent my afternoon repairing someones electric service in the cold and rain. May have more to do today. Winter has came here pretty strong a few weeks ago.

I am enjoying divine and Celadine flowering in the greenhouse.

Mike

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Bill, do you think white Plumeria tend to have a genetic predisposition to being more hardy?

While Psycho certainly seems exceptional, I've also seen other white ones doing things that others in the same vicinity do not do....e.g. often much longer growing and flowering seasons, slightly more cold resistance, etc. Purely anecdotal, of course- but I'm not familiar with any real science on the topic.

Certainly, the pinks, rainbows, etc. are the target of most cultivation efforts. Whites seem to have largely been overlooked. For example, I cannot imagine why "Psycho" white isn't a staple at every Plumeria nursery.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Very Pretty...I ordered it from him and it is very small, so I hope it takes off this next year. roxanne

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I had pulled some in but after a month indoors with no water they are still putting out new leaves so I took them back out and watered them.

Some of the ones in ground are dormant and others have new leaves. Typical crazy plants.

Psycho is on my list for next year.
    Tally HO!

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

irun- I am not sure about whites being special. It is the end of the year and my few fully dormant plants include Samoan Fluff (white), Guillot;s Sunset (pink/white), Jeannie Moragne (red) and Ryan Chelsea seedlings (pink). However, I still have flowers on Kimi M. (pink), My Valentine (white), Lemon Drop (yellow), Ngam Prom (red) and of course, Psycho (which is the only one with tons of flowers still open.).
    Tally HO- I think you are in Florida. Contact me at plumeriabill@yahoo.com

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Bill, Talley is in Galveston, TX.

Everything here is loosing leaves or already dormant. The last blooms were on a Dwarf Singapore Pink and a Dwarf Orange and the inflos are starting to drop off. We have been below average temps for several weeks now. I think the cold plus limited watering has brought about a pretty significant transition to dormancy.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

yep, on the island of Galveston, somewhere near Texas. Today it`s another dreary icky day with a wind chill of 39. I`ve given up on the plumeria, the ones in the house think it`s spring because it`s warm, the ones in the garden think winter has come and gone and are starting to send out new leaves. I`m ignoring all of them until Feb.
    Tired of this cold dreary weather with the below normal temps.
    Happy new year everyone!
    Tally HO!